Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Alexandre (32)

Next birthdays
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

DRSSTC III System - Final Prototypes and FIRST LIGHT!!!

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
Avalanche
Tue May 30 2006, 04:16PM
Avalanche Registered Member #103 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:16PM
Very nice, very professional looking! Don't think I've ever seen 3 identical coils pictured together cheesey

Just out of interest, how is the front panel made, with the text on it?
HV Enthusiast
Tue May 30 2006, 05:18PM
HV Enthusiast Registered Member #15 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:11PM
Thanks!

The front panels were made from an outfit called Front Panel Express. They are a German company and do excellent work. The panels themselves are anodized 3mm aluminum and the lettering is engraved and then painted.
Steve Ward
Tue May 30 2006, 05:22PM
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM
Very nice indeed. Are the toroids from John Freau (they look like the one i used to have).

If you could, can you try to document your stress testing? Id be curious to see what (if anything) causes it to fail.
HV Enthusiast
Wed May 31 2006, 12:22AM
As Hannibal Smith always said, "I love it when a plan comes together . . . " Anyways, first light was a complete success with almost zero hitches. All the time spent planning, simulating, and designing paid off with a DRSSTC that fired up first time to 30+ inches with a supply rail of only 200 volts driving a half-bridge of IGBTs, of course the initial benchtop prototypes didn't hurt either . . . ill

Everything worked right off the bat. Current limiting worked, although was initially set for only 200A, and the bar graph peak current meter worked very well.

Only problem was primary to secondary arcing due to overcoupling, so i had to raise the secondary 1.5 inches to eliminate this. When I connected the strike rail to earth ground, i had a disastrous arc over to the secondary destroying it instantly. Damn! Anyways, a simple repair was in order, and the secondary was up and running again.

Increased current limit to 500A peak, and reached output arcs of 34 inches.

40 inches!!!!
Current limit was still kicking in at about 75% output, so i increased to about 650A peak current. DC supply voltage now at a full 380V (approx) and output arcs of 40 inches to a grounded strike target. Fantastic! Considering a 12" secondary, thats not too shabby.

Didn't get any photos tonite since i forgot to load my camera, but will get some tomorrow, along with a video or two.

Next order of business is to play with the tuning and look at the primary current to see exactly where i'm operating at. Also, probably bring out the spectrum analyzer if i feel up to it. Biggest problem will be determining the proper coupling and geometry of the strike rail, etc... looks like i'll be cutting that to pieces and re-adjusting quite a bit in the coming weeks.

I'm going to try for 48 inches. Not sure if its achievable with this set-up, but if i'm hitting 40 inches on the first light run without even tuning it, it may be possible . . . amazed

Stay tuned ! ! ! !
Wed May 31 2006, 12:42AM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
wow, I think that 3.3x secondary length is the largest spark length/secondary hieght I have ever seen amazed I can't imagine where you could fit 48" of spark 25"? coil...
HV Enthusiast
Wed May 31 2006, 01:05AM
Well, destroyed my secondary again. Nice arc from primary to secondary burnt right through the windings. I'll probably have to move the secondary up another 0.5 inch tomorrow. I did get a single 44 inch strike tonite from toroid to the ceiling, but then the circuit breaker tripped, so i called it quits. Tomorrow, i'll get some video and pics . . .
Steve Ward
Wed May 31 2006, 07:25AM
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM
Cool, my 11" tall coil did 37" max. My 22" coil did 80", so thats like 3.63X the secondary length. I think Steve Conner still has us beat at 4.something X secondary length. 40" from the 12" coil is still really great.

Maybe you should move to epoxy coating of the secondary winding? Its actually considerably easier than many layers of varnish, and seems to stand up to a lot of flash-over abuse. The arcs just spread out across the epoxy surface, rather than breaking a pin sized hole in the insulation and then causing burning and carbonization.

Also, from my experience, you can often get away with the strike rail sitting at the same height as the last primary turn (so long as the arcs are coming from the toroid). Its too bad that you already have 3 of them built up so nicely and now you need to modify the design.
Steve Conner
Wed May 31 2006, 09:19AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
60" from a 14" tall coil is my personal best. tongue It took over 3kW of power to do it though.

I used a similar geometry of strike rail and solenoid primary, and had very similar problems. I got serious flashovers from primary to secondary that eventually burnt clean through the secondary windings and stopped the coil working. I took a few turns off the top of the primary, and raised the secondary as far as I could. I guess I should rebuild the primary as a cone, but I couldn't be bothered, and it works fine now.

I found I could fix my frazzled secondary coil by soldering the wire carefully back together and wrapping the whole coil in electrical tape. This seemed to have much the same effect as Steve said epoxy coating does: the sparks stay dim and crawl over the tape, instead of forming bright arcs and burning things.

Why did you put a power switch on the front? I always like to be well out of the range of sparks and "flying silicon bits" when I throw the switch.
Marko
Wed May 31 2006, 09:31AM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
Then my 18 inch secondary needs to do 2 meter arc to be just competing with you. d00d.

I used a similar geometry of strike rail and solenoid primary, and had very similar problems. I got serious flashovers from primary to secondary that eventually burnt clean through the secondary windings and stopped the coil working. I took a few turns off the top of the primary, and raised the secondary as far as I could. I guess I should rebuild the primary as a cone, but I couldn't be bothered, and it works fine now.

Yep, coupling seems pretty high to me, too.
I figured out that steve ward's DR1 has base of secondary beggining just about the top of (helical) primary.

I also use very similar coupling as EVR, it may be too high, I don't know.

Why did you put a power switch on the front? I always like to be well out of the range of sparks and "flying silicon bits" when I throw the switch.

Isn't the remote-interrupter switch enough?

Maybe he could sell the pwer supply cable with small box and 'kill switch' on the end wink

HV Enthusiast
Wed May 31 2006, 11:42AM
wrote ...

Maybe you should move to epoxy coating of the secondary winding? Its actually considerably easier than many layers of varnish, and seems to stand up to a lot of flash-over abuse. The arcs just spread out across the epoxy surface, rather than breaking a pin sized hole in the insulation and then causing burning and carbonization.

Also, from my experience, you can often get away with the strike rail sitting at the same height as the last primary turn (so long as the arcs are coming from the toroid). Its too bad that you already have 3 of them built up so nicely and now you need to modify the design.

Thanks, good tip. I have been exploring different types of secondary coatings - these were done with acrylic coating, but i'm not happy with the results.

What type of epoxy have you had success with?

Will also have to move primary strike rail down, tonite i'll play with the distance. No biggy on modifying these. These are prototypes, so all this rework was anticipated. I'm sure when i'm done testing, these things will be beat to hell with duct tape holding pieces together, etc... But, then again, thats the whole fun of it!!!

wrote ...

. . . . power switch on front . . .

The power switch on the front only turns on the control logic and cooling fan. Also, these are prototypes, so the only person going to operate them are myself.

For the final units, i plan on using a twinax cable (two conductor) and have a modulator input to the system and also a DC bus enable signal which will power the relays turning on the dc bus from the external modulator. That is one plan right now.

Thanks for the comments . . .

Dan
 1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: