Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Alexandre (32)

Next birthdays
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

yet another DRSSTC - reality check

1 2 3 4 
Move Thread LAN_403
Steve Ward
Sat Jun 03 2006, 01:19AM
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM
If I use primary feedback, I will get ZCS no matter how the phase is adjusted, or even if the frequency is off?

Nope! You want zero phase shift (or ideally, slightly negative phase shift) with primary feedback, and the PLL will not do that on such short bursts with this circuit. Sorry dude, its basically a VCO with other non-useful features.
Dr. Shark
Sat Jun 03 2006, 07:36AM
Dr. Shark Registered Member #75 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 09:30AM
Damn! Well, I've got one of Mr Conners new boards, so I guess I will use that for further DRSSTC experiments. This one is probably better suited to SSTC duty, which is no problem, I'll just take out the MMC and I'll be good to go.

Oh, Steve Ward, before I get Steve Conners complicated (like 10 ICs in there) stuff working, I'd like to have a go at your simple micro-DRSSTC. Do you have any schematics, or is it really as simple as you described it in the other thread?
EEYORE
Sat Jun 03 2006, 04:49PM
EEYORE Registered Member #99 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:10PM
joe wrote ...

Damn! Well, I've got one of Mr Conners new boards, so I guess I will use that for further DRSSTC experiments. This one is probably better suited to SSTC duty, which is no problem, I'll just take out the MMC and I'll be good to go.

Oh, Steve Ward, before I get Steve Conners complicated (like 10 ICs in there) stuff working, I'd like to have a go at your simple micro-DRSSTC. Do you have any schematics, or is it really as simple as you described it in the other thread?

It really is that simple! cheesey
I got that little coil working on the 1st go...Promply blew its guts out an hour later when i decided to blast it with full power from the variac...Its got to be one of THE most simple sstc's out(in a good way) wink ...

Matt
Steve Conner
Sat Jun 03 2006, 05:56PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
I'm sure I've said it before, but I'll say it here for the record. If you're looking for a simple DRSSTC controller, it's probably best to use Ward's.

My mk2 driver is a full featured design with all the protection needed for a commercial system. It's debatable whether it's overkill for a hobbyist coil. But I stand by the quality of it, and if you can be bothered building it, I believe it makes a damn fine coil.

I guess what I'm saying is, build Ward's driver unless you love electronics for the sake of it. tongue I don't really have a "My circuit is better than yours" axe to grind any more, so I could care less whose driver you choose.

I'll update my site to give a warning that joe had trouble with the Dirty DRSSTC driver. I don't think anyone else ever tried it on a DRSSTC, and I never really figured out what was going on with it until now when I saw joe's post.
Dr. Shark
Sun Jun 04 2006, 10:02AM
Oh come on Steve, I know damn well that your circuits are the finest out there, and since I am a pefectionist I do feel the need to replicate them smile

Hold on with updating your website though: I did remove the DR part from the coil yesterday and tried driving it as an ISSTC (still interrupted, but much longer on-time, a couple of 100 cycles at least), and still it would not lock. So the problem is more likely to be my implementation than your design. I could still try driving it completely CW, but I doubt that it would make a difference. It still gives nice sparks as an oscillator-based coil, so I'll just leave it as it is. (Well, got to fix those arc-overs to the primary coil, but that's another thing.)

I also noticed a strange problem with my primary feedback transformer: Instead of putting out a square-wave, each time there is a zero-crossing it starts a funny oscillation with about twice the frequency of what the coil is running at. I put it together from two small double-E core transformers, maybe it needs toroids? Once I get that going, I can have some fun with Steve Wards circuit.

Steve Ward
Sun Jun 04 2006, 07:16PM
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM
The time needed to lock should depend on the RC filter on the phase comparator output (if i remember the PLL circuit correctly). You can reduce R and C to make it respond faster, but i believe this can cause instability (as with most feedback circuits).

The micro DRSSTC is as simple as i described (hence no schematic). You still have to be careful with the layout, mostly the inductance between gate drivers, GDT and IGBTs. If you chose to use such a circuit (with no synchronous turn off) then you should not run the IGBTs beyond their ratings (i was only running 100A peak with 160Apk rated IGBTs). Also, you will need a tight bridge layout to clamp the *severe* voltage spike that will be present with the hard switching. I really dont recommend it for large coils, as your chances of splattering IGBTs is greatly increased. Its not really that much work to add the flip flop. You could substitute in a D-flip flop as well, provided you have S and R inputs (aka Pre and Clr). If you need any help figuring out the flip flop scheme, just ask.

As to whose circuit is better. Ive always felt that the simpler way is better, just because its easier to understand completely, and when something goes wrong, its not too hard to spot the problem. My circuit starts to fail at high frequencies (despite my micro coil) because there is inherently some delay in the driver and IGBTs, and my circuit does not take care of this at all. So, if your gonna build something under 100khz, there really is not much need for a PLL circuit since you will get pretty darn close to ZCS with decently fast IGBTs. Last i checked, both of our circuits allow for the production of big sparks wink .
HV Enthusiast
Sun Jun 04 2006, 09:02PM
HV Enthusiast Registered Member #15 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:11PM
When comparing circuits, just remember that there is more than one way to skin a cat. . . i also vote that simpler is better (K.I.S.S. principle), but if you think of a better way of doing something, by all means go for it!

Or combine them both into one mutated mess of a circuit! cheesey

Remember, even Steve Ward's driver was a combination of several different ideas - flip-flop sychronization from Dan Strother, and the primary feedback scheme from Terry Fritz. Take your idea and keep on mutating. This is the way these things tend to evolve! smile
Dr. Shark
Mon Jun 05 2006, 08:46PM
Simpel is better. Here is the minimal DRSSCT driver, true to Steve Wards design:

1149540257 75 FT10301 Drss

everything, including the interruptor and the half-bridge are on the board, only the MMC will be external. I am kind of scared to test it though, since I have no idea if the GD chips and transformer will be working. Thats really the reason why I liked Steve Conners VCO circuit so much smile

Oh, the camo background is because I am sooo cool!
Marko
Mon Jun 05 2006, 08:59PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
omg omg, the crappiest DRSSTC driver board I've ever seen! cheesey

Where is your 74HC14? smile
Or you are trying to put the signal directly to UCC's?
This will probably work for antenna but I don't know if anyone seriously tried it with current transformers.

Only possibly bad thing I see is the GDT, not clearly visible but do you have windings on both sides of bobbin?
You need tight multifilar winding for very high coupling in GDT.

Jim
Tue Jun 06 2006, 11:55PM
Jim Dunce.
Registered Member #28 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 03:29AM
Firkragg wrote ...

Or you are trying to put the signal directly to UCC's?
This will probably work for antenna but I don't know if anyone seriously tried it with current transformers.

Steve just did this...
 1 2 3 4 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: