Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Alexandre (32)

Next birthdays
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

yet another DRSSTC - reality check

1 2 3 4 
Move Thread LAN_403
Steve Ward
Mon May 29 2006, 10:26PM
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM
Guys, if you havent tried already, reverse your feedback phasing from the CT. My coils have absolutely no problems with the primary feedback, they never lose feedback, and never have difficulty starting up.

If you are using an antenna, you can reverse the feedback phasing by swapping the connections to your primary coil. This only works if your feedback is based off of the seconary of the TC! If you are using primary feedback, you must either 1) invert the gate drive signal (you can swap your gate drivers around), or 2) swap the output leads from the feedback CT, or 3) pass the conductor through the CT in the opposite direction. Either of these 3 will change the phasing by 180 degrees. One phasing will not work, the other will.

If this doesnt resolve your problems, let me know.
Wolfram
Mon May 29 2006, 10:31PM
Wolfram Registered Member #33 Joined: Sat Feb 04 2006, 01:31PM
Are the IGBTs IRG4BC20UDs?
Dr. Shark
Tue May 30 2006, 07:46AM
Dr. Shark Registered Member #75 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 09:30AM
Yes Anders, indeed they are. And just like you probably did, I got them by the 100s of ebay.de, for just a few cents a piece, so I don't mind blowing them like popcorn.

I think my feedback problem is somewhat more fundamental, maybe a bug in the circuit. I'll worry about that before I follow Firkraggs advice and go for (hopefully) bigger sparks. But really, I think I wont get that much more than the current 4" from the TO220s
Marko
Tue May 30 2006, 06:54PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
Joe, what voltage were you using for that streamer from the pic?

Im fighting for mere few centimeters at 30V...

Your antenna definitely should work, try replacing 4049 if it is blown.
Problem is definitely somewhere in the circuit...

HV Enthusiast
Tue May 30 2006, 07:43PM
HV Enthusiast Registered Member #15 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:11PM
Uh . . .

Fighting for a few centimeters arc with a bridge voltage of 30V should be expected and is quite normal.

On my DRSSTC II system, I need to have about 70V on the bridge for 1 inch output.

Sounds to me, if you are getting only a few cm at 30V bridge voltage, your coil is working perfectly fine.
vasil
Tue May 30 2006, 09:03PM
vasil Registered Member #229 Joined: Tue Feb 21 2006, 07:33PM
4 kHz PRF...wow. Thats explain the waste of IGBTs. And what ON time?
teravolt
Wed May 31 2006, 03:29AM
teravolt Registered Member #195 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 08:27PM
is your circuit zero crossing at the right time
Dr. Shark
Thu Jun 01 2006, 11:29AM
@Vasil, the IGBTs stopped blowing up after I put Zeners across the Gate.
@Teravolt, certainly not, since it is running open-loop.

Still no progress, and I am running out of ideas... While the coil runs perfectly (giving about 1cm streamers at 50V and up to 10cm at 300V), I just cant get the PLL to lock. I have replaced the chip, traced all the connections... and the funny thing is that by turning the phase pot, I can slighly change the frequency, so the VCOin at pin 9 is working, only SIGin on pin 14 is completely ignoring what I feed into it. Which is a nice sqare-wave, as checked with a scope. I am using Steves dirty circuit

1149161241 75 FT10301 Dirty Pic

just instead of the capacitor on the very left I have the antenna. The problem is that I haven't got the slightest clue as to how this circuit works, what locking range the PLL should have, and if the values of the resistors and capacitors (other than the timing capacitor) have to be adjusted for my operating frequency of 350kHz, which is probably twice of what Steve was running at.
I am grateful for any ideas!
Steve Conner
Thu Jun 01 2006, 11:47AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
If you're using the circuit with an interrupter and small pulse widths (as in a DRSSTC) the PLL doesn't really work so well. You'll never see any behaviour that looks like "snapping into" lock with a sudden increase in output, no matter how hard you tweak it.

The problem is that the PLL always trying to achieve lock, even when the interrupter signal is off and the coil isn't doing anything, hence the phase detector has no input. During these "off" periods, it tends to wander away, and the signal it gets during the "on" periods doesn't last long enough to help it much. So on the whole, it really runs more like a VCO.

Also, due to phase shifts between primary and secondary, when you're using antenna or secondary base current feedback, you won't necessarily get zero-current switching even if it does lock.

These are some of the reasons why I made the Mk2 driver. It has the PLL linked to the interrupter so that it only self-tunes during the burst. Also, the phase shift issue is the reason why I switched to primary current feedback.
Dr. Shark
Fri Jun 02 2006, 04:37PM
Whoa, thats harsh! Maybe the project titel "Dirty..." should have put me of, but in my infinite confidence for the brand that is "made in Scotland", I did not for one second doubt that the design was good.
Well, at least this explains why I dont seem to get lock, and I suppose once I change back to primary feedback, it will run well. smile

So just to make sure, I tweak the frequency for maximum output and then use the phase pot to fine-tune the frequency, or do I need to really adjust the phase?

If I use primary feedback, I will get ZCS no matter how the phase is adjusted, or even if the frequency is off?
 1 2 3 4 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: