Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Chatting
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Wikileaks founder Julian Assange arrested in London

Move Thread LAN_403
GluD
Thu Dec 23 2010, 08:35PM
GluD Registered Member #1221 Joined: Wed Jan 09 2008, 06:17PM
Ash: "I do have strong opinions regarding censorship, especially when politicians 'twist' the truth regarding 'freedom of information' in order to take our hard fought for rights away."

If they dont "twist" the truth they dont surive in politics, so you cant just "fix it" by voting for "the other guy" if the rules are still the same, he will lie just like the guy before him.
NO I dont think its a good thing that politics are this way but as far as I know thats what its like, I wish people would adress that part of the problem too instead of just blaming it all on the politicians.

I know many exampels from danish politics but I dont bother discussing those here.
If people should fight for something I'd just wish it was something more valueable than this ( I havent really seen any thing signifanct in the leakage), and that they fought in a more sensibel manner.

Im not sure I understand your reply Quicksilver. I never said sulfur should be ilegal, i would very much like it to be legit as it is one of my favourite elements.
Denmark is a very boring country, also in regards of minerals. As far as I know, its all just dirt, its rather pretty in some places but we dont really have any natural resources other than our ground water and some oil which some drunkard gave to Norway but thats another story. Im well aware that other countries have more exciting resources.

As long as the "things", be it infomation or chemicals or even electronic components are usefull to the public I think they should be legal. So I dont really understand you guy's replys. It seems like you think I want to make everything ilegal, which I dont.. I dont claim to be able to decide whats better for whom but I have not yet seen any arguments why those locations should be published (in the first place) and I cant come up with any reasons myself. Surely the techinical details could be discussed in various magazines without the readers knowing the exact location. Hopefully they're not gonna get blown up, but you dont think the chance of that happening would be lower if it had not been published in the first place?

Its like printing in the local news paper that your on holiday thus increasing the risk of a breakin&entering.
What do you gain by telling everyone that your on holiday vs what do the burglars gain by knowing your on holiday. (in my opinion you dont gain anything and the burglars gain everything they can carry out of your house).

Differend scenario but same principle I think.

quicksilver
Fri Dec 24 2010, 04:38PM
quicksilver Registered Member #1408 Joined: Fri Mar 21 2008, 03:49PM
You may have misunderstood. I did not direct my remark to you but rather, to a manner of thinking that is all to prevalent. I was speaking in very broad generalities.
Ash Small
Sun Dec 26 2010, 08:27AM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
Latest News: Assange has just signed a £1,000,000 book deal.
Adam Munich
Sun Dec 26 2010, 03:30PM
Adam Munich Registered Member #2893 Joined: Tue Jun 01 2010, 09:25PM
Oh shi-
Steve Conner
Sun Dec 26 2010, 03:39PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Gee, it's almost like he planned the whole thing smile He probably read The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo etc. and got some ideas.
Ash Small
Sun Dec 26 2010, 06:27PM
He says he had no choice, he needs the money for legal expenses.
Adam Munich
Tue Dec 28 2010, 07:52PM
Someone is fighting back, I go to visit 4chan and it's down.

Link2,2817,2374781,00.asp Link2
Ash Small
Tue Jan 11 2011, 08:10AM
LATEST NEWS: Assange due to appear at Woolwich Crown Court this morning to fix date for extradition hearing.
Adam Munich
Tue Jan 18 2011, 12:05AM
This just keeps getting better and better.

By Peter Bright | Last updated January 17, 2011 3:33 PM

WikiLeaks has taken possession of discs containing the banking details of 2,000 prominent people with Swiss bank accounts. The discs were presented to WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange today in London by former Swiss banker Rudolf Elmer. The data will be published by WikiLeaks once it has been vetted, a process expected by Assange to take at least two weeks.

Rudolf Elmer worked at Swiss bank Julius Baer, eventually becoming chief operating officer of its Cayman Islands subsidiary, until he was fired in 2002. During his time at the bank he claims he found evidence that the bank was helping its customers evade taxes. Since being fired, he has styled himself as a Swiss whistleblower, seeking to obtain and disseminate information about the Swiss banking industry. These actions saw him imprisoned in 2005—he spent 30 days in jail for breaking Swiss banking secrecy laws—and he is due to go on trial in Switzerland on Wednesday—again for breaking secrecy laws.

The data was provided to Elmer anonymously through his own whistleblowing website. He says that he felt it was important to identify himself as the source because of his banking background and knowledge.

Elmer has provided information to the whistleblowing site before. According to Assange, previous data concerning Julius Baer's activities shed light on tax evasion, the hiding of proceeds of criminal acts, and "the protection of assets of those about to fall out of political favor." Assange speculated that this new data might eventually be passed on to authorities such as the UK's Serious Fraud Office, as occurred previously in a WikiLeaks-published leak concerning Icelandic banks.

Julius Baer has dismissed Elmer's claims as baseless attempts to discredit the bank and its clients. It accuses him of both falsifying documents and sending death threats to its employees.
Source Link2

Wikileaks given data on Swiss bank accounts

A former Swiss banker has passed on data containing account details of 2,000 prominent people to Wikileaks founder Julian Assange.

The data - which is not yet available on the Wikileaks website - was held on two discs handed over by Rudolf Elmer at a press conference in London.

Mr Assange promised full disclosure once the information had been vetted.

Mr Elmer is scheduled to go on trial in Switzerland on Wednesday for breaking bank secrecy laws.

The banker, who has given data to Wikileaks before, was fired from Swiss bank Julius Baer in 2002.

"Evidently disgruntled and frustrated about unfulfilled career aspirations, Mr. Elmer exhibited behaviour that was detrimental and unacceptable for the Bank, which led to termination of the employment relationship," the bank said in a statement sent to BBC News.

"After his demands (including financial compensation) in connection with the dismissal could not be satisfied, Mr. Elmer embarked in 2004 on a personal intimidation campaign and vendetta against Julius Baer," the statement read.
Serious Fraud Office

Although it was not confirmed what activities might be covered by the data Mr Elmer has passed on, the Wikileaks head noted that previous data from Julius Baer provided by Mr Elmer had shed light on tax evasion, the hiding of proceeds of criminal acts and "the protection of assets of those about to fall out of political favour".

The data covers multinationals, financial firms and wealthy individuals from many countries, including the UK, US and Germany, and covers the period 1990-2009, according to a report in Swiss newspaper Der Sonntag.

"Once we have looked at the data... there will be full revelation," said Mr Assange, who is currently on bail and confined to the UK due to an extradition request from Sweden.

The Wikileaks founder has been accused of sexual misconduct by two women in Sweden, including having unprotected sex without consent - accusations he denies.

Speaking at the handover event at the Frontline Club, he said the data would be vetted before publication.

It was difficult to say how long this would take, he said, although he suggested it could be as little as two weeks.

The vetting would depend on the volume of information and how it was delegated, Mr Assange said.

Other groups - such as the Tax Justice Network or financial media outlets - might be asked to help in the vetting process, he added.

Mr Assange also said some information was likely to be handed over to the authorities - mentioning specifically the UK's Serious Fraud Office - as was the case with a previous leak concerning Icelandic banks.
'Baseless accusations'

Julius Baer has dismissed Mr Elmer's accusations.

"The aim of his activities was and is to discredit Julius Baer as well as clients in the eyes of the public," it said in the statement.

With this goal in mind, Mr Elmer spread baseless accusations and passed on unlawfully acquired respectively retained documents to the media, and later also to Wikileaks.

"To back up his campaign, he also used falsified documents and made death threats against employees."

The banker's latest revelations also relate to other Swiss banks.

A spokesman of the Swiss Bankers' Association (SBA) told the BBC his country was "a sophisticated, well-regulated international financial centre with some of the strictest know-your-customer rules worldwide".

Jean-Marc Felix - an SBA board member - insisted that the country complied with international standards on tax matters, and the banking community supported moves to set up bilateral agreements with the UK and Germany to introduce a withholding tax on accounts of citizens from those countries.
'Fire-breathing dragon'

"I'm against the system. I know how the system works," said Mr Elmer at the press conference. He said a sophisticated network existed to funnel illicit money into secret offshore accounts.

"I've been there. I've done the job. I know what is the day-to-day business," he said, explaining why he thought it important to identify himself as the source.

The banker, who worked as Julius Baer's chief operating officer in the Cayman Islands, said he and his family faced pressure akin to "a fire-breathing dragon with several heads" after he decided to blow the whistle.

He said he was put in prison in Switzerland for 30 days for violating Swiss banking rules, and that he was offered money and the withdrawal of charges against him in order to buy his silence.

The data included the offshore accounts of about 40 politicians, he said, and covered accounts at three banks, including his former employer.

The banker also said that he and his wife had written a letter to German Finance Minister Peer Steinbruck, offering to provide the data for free, but received no response.

Mr Elmer - who runs his own whistle-blowing website - said the data he was providing had been passed to him by various sources that he would keep anonymous.

"I am taking the responsibility for this," he said.

He is already facing trial in Switzerland for a previous data leak, and has admitted breaking some laws.

However, Mr Elmer claimed he did not breach Swiss banking secrecy rules, as he said all of the information related to the Cayman Islands and therefore lay outside Swiss jurisdiction.
Source Link2

Oh shi-
testtest
Tue Jan 18 2011, 12:16AM
testtest Registered Member #3271 Joined: Mon Oct 04 2010, 02:29AM
Just listening to a telephone interview with his lawyer on CBC as I was reading your post. That list will be interesting but where does it end? Better hit the deck when it hits the fan. Pretty soon every nasty e-mail you wrote will be exposed....

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: