All today's birthdays', congrats!
Adam Munich (30)
Alfredo Texacca (60)

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Chatting
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Well thats a load of crap . . . (The Web Toll)

Move Thread LAN_403
Wed May 31 2006, 04:23AM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
looks like we (users) are not the only ones pissed off... check out this e-mail from ebay

Net Neutrality and the eBay Community: A Call to Action

Dear krogen234,

As you know, I almost never reach out to you personally with a request to get involved in a debate in the U.S. Congress. However, today I feel I must.

Right now, the telephone and cable companies in control of Internet access are trying to use their enormous political muscle to dramatically change the Internet. It might be hard to believe, but lawmakers in Washington are seriously debating whether consumers should be free to use the Internet as they want in the future.

The phone and cable companies now control more than 95% of all Internet access. These large corporations are spending millions of dollars to promote legislation that would divide the Internet into a two-tiered system.

The top tier would be a "Pay-to-Play" high-speed toll-road restricted to only the largest companies that can afford to pay high fees for preferential access to the Net.

The bottom tier -- the slow lane -- would be what is left for everyone else. If the fast lane is the information "super-highway," the slow lane will operate more like a dirt road.

Today's Internet is an incredible open marketplace for goods, services, information and ideas. We can't give that up. A two lane system will restrict innovation because start-ups and small companies -- the companies that can't afford the high fees -- will be unable to succeed, and we'll lose out on the jobs, creativity and inspiration that come with them.

The power belongs with Internet users, not the big phone and cable companies. Let's use that power to send as many messages as possible to our elected officials in Washington. Please join me by clicking here right now to send a message to your representatives in Congress before it is too late. You can make the difference.

Thank you for reading this note. I hope you'll make your voice heard today.

Sincerely,

Meg Whitman
President and CEO
eBay Inc.

P.S. If you have any questions about this issue, please contact us at **link**.

Learn More to protect yourself from Spoof (fake) e-mails.

eBay sent this e-mail to you because your Notification Preferences
indicate that you want to receive information about Special Events & Promotions.
eBay will not request personal data (password, credit card/bank numbers) in an e-mail.
You are subscribed as **link**, registered on eBay.

If you do not wish to receive further communications, sign into "My eBay" by clicking on the
"My eBay" link found at the top of the eBay home page and change your Notification Preferences.
Please note that it may take up to 10 days to process your request.

Visit our Privacy Policy and User Agreement if you have any questions.

Copyright © 2006 eBay Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners.
eBay and the eBay logo are trademarks of eBay Inc.
eBay is located at 2145 Hamilton Avenue, San Jose, CA 95125.

Mike
Wed May 31 2006, 12:56PM
Mike Registered Member #58 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:40AM
Here is another big article about it on Wired.com
Link2,71012-0.html?tw=wn_index_1
McFluffin
Thu Jun 01 2006, 12:09AM
McFluffin Registered Member #119 Joined: Fri Feb 10 2006, 06:26AM
Hmm....theres always the Seattle Wireless approach. Time to take out my hot rodded WRT54Gs :) I have enoughj networking equipment at my house to wire up maybe 100 or 200 computers...it would be a start anyway. I would imagine that this might be able to work fairly well in cities, but wouldn't be able to really cross continents are make it between cities. I'd sooner try to create citry run internet gateways than to have traffic limited. This concept would crush start-ups. The internet might need to be more well regulated, but not if it interferes with people's abilities to use it. Running e-mail through filters to block spam might be an option, but I would hate to have my e-mails blocked as false positives or blocked because they were considered politically undesirable etc.
Thu Jun 01 2006, 02:21AM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
good thing this is on chatting since this is heading way off topic...

There are rumors that google has plans to do something like this, they have bought up tons of 'dark' fiber (left over from the internet boom) have had some engineering done on seeing how many servers can you put in a box trailer, the google secure access (secure tunnel into a google server which is connected to the internet--you are safe on open access points but google gets to look at your surfing--and that hot spot that they put up... Could be big; very big.

Imagine if everyone could have free internet access but they had to look at a google ad every time they opened the browser or something like that amazed

I think the primary problem is bandwidth... Heck, at my school the laptop carts with a 100mb link to the for the classroom laptops have a hard time keeping up with the load of 30 students surfing the web (the activity bar graph on the switch gets into the red zone and the collision bar get like half full at times) imagine what it would take for a city. Say you want to give everyone a 1mb/s link (enough for most streaming content)... With a 802.11.b access point you could (optimistically) handle 50 people... Now in LA there are what, 10 million people? That is like a half million access point just to handle the load... And a terabit backbone connection! Even if you say that only 1% of people will use their allotted 1mb/s that is still a 10gb/s backbone connection...
Now if someone like google were to be the provider they could host their own streaming music/video service so they only need enough bandwidth to handle the rest of the web and the people that are streaming from somewhere else, but that is still a ton of bandwidth... Until fiber gets cheap enough to give away...

Hmm, I could probably wire in the adjacent houses into mine (with about 10 of my total 30 ports available) and then they would be able to stream all of the multimedia content I have on my server shades Although kind of the opposite is happening now, I am leaching off my neighbors wireless to get extra up speed... We could have one heck of a connection if we all teamed togher and combined out total 1mb/s up and 10mb/s down...

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: