Zajcek (37)
ElectroDog (33)
sportcoupe (56)

Next birthdays
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
04/29 ElectroDog (33)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Chemistry
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Al + Fe in NH3

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Heiders
Fri May 26 2006, 03:04PM Print
Heiders Registered Member #268 Joined: Tue Feb 28 2006, 02:44AM
For a grade 12 (senior) Chemistry class, we are making an electrochemical cell using household materials. My group decided on aluminum foil, steel wool, and ammonia, which gave us 1.4-1.5 volts. After looking at the convenient chart of half-reactions in the back of my textbook and googling, I am at a loss. My question for you is this:

What chemical reaction is actually happening in the container with an aluminum electrode, an iron electrode, and ammonia?

My apologies if this is a juvenile question, I have actually tried my best.
Jim
Fri May 26 2006, 05:42PM
Jim Dunce.
Registered Member #28 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 03:29AM
Uh Fe going to Fe 3+ or something, and Al going to Al something - I don't know.
Eric
Fri May 26 2006, 06:22PM
Eric Registered Member #69 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 07:42AM
Aluminum is much more reactive than iron so it's being oxidized to Al+3 which will precipitate out as aluminum hydroxide after it builds up a little. It doesn't form amines like copper and zinc. At the iron some reduction is occuring, i'd guess 2H+ to H2(g).

So:

Al(s) -> Al3+(aq) + 3 e– (–1.676V)

and

2 H+(aq) + 2 e– H2(g) (0V)

But then I'm not a chemist. I don't even play one on TV.
Heiders
Sat May 27 2006, 12:23AM
Sorry, I think I missed something. Where are the H+ ions coming from? The NH3 doesn't dissociate to N and 3H...

As far as I know, it is NH4OH <==> NH3 + H2O in the commercial ammonia.

My chemistry teacher didn't even know what was going on, off the top of his head, so any help is appreciated.

Eric, how can copper or zinc form amines? It involves carbon, not metals. confused I'm not a big fan of organic chem, but I remember that.
Coyote Wilde
Sat May 27 2006, 01:07AM
Coyote Wilde Registered Member #175 Joined: Tue Feb 14 2006, 09:32PM
By "amines" he ment in a more general sense as "ammonia compound" and, in fact, one definition of an amine is such--we just learn it in Organic Chem as a carbon-centered set; it can also be viewed as an ammonia-centered one-- you probably still need carbon, if I recall, but its an easier mistake to make. But I digress.
H3 and N are definately not happening, you're right. But maybe NH3 + H+ <---> NH4? Er, yearg, that's not working if it's NH4OH.
Nope, don't have a clue. Googling "ammonium battery" gets one page admitting that this sort of thing used to exist, but no electrochem. My textbooks draw a blank, too, as does my more-chemically-minded luv...
so, I'll give the archtypical answer on this part of the forum: Wait for Bored Chemist. He's smarter than me.
Sat May 27 2006, 02:27AM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
Beats me, we didn't learn about cells with an electrolyte other than a salt of the electrode... But my best guess would be that you have Al -> Al3+ + 3 e- (which forms 1.6v in a 1M solution), which is then reacting with the free OH- in the solution (from the NH3). The Fe is not reacting at all, and is just acting like a platinum or carbon one would and giving a way to get electrons out. dead
Eric
Sat May 27 2006, 05:08AM
Heiders wrote ...

Sorry, I think I missed something. Where are the H+ ions coming from? The NH3 doesn't dissociate to N and 3H...

As far as I know, it is NH4OH <==> NH3 + H2O in the commercial ammonia.

My chemistry teacher didn't even know what was going on, off the top of his head, so any help is appreciated.

Eric, how can copper or zinc form amines? It involves carbon, not metals. confused I'm not a big fan of organic chem, but I remember that.

Like CW said, ammoniacal metal complexes are called amines. Anyway, aluminum doesn't form one which might have changed the electrode potential.

The H+ just comes from the water, not from the ammonia. At the same time you'd have OH- generated at the iron as the H+ is reduced and bubbles away. Did you see any bubbles at the iron? You'd have to have current flowing to see that. If not, maybe something else is happening there, though I can't imagine what... I guess we'll see what BC says.
Heiders
Sat May 27 2006, 04:39PM
My chem teacher suggested that the iron was just conducting and not reacting, but my voltage changed when I used something like copper (wire with the coating sanded off) or zinc (galvanized nail) with the aluminum.

I didn't notice any bubbles, but we didn't leave it for more than 3-4 min at a time. It was rolled up steel wool, so bubbles may have formed inside the electrode without us seeing.
Bored Chemist
Sat May 27 2006, 07:25PM
Bored Chemist Registered Member #193 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 07:04AM
Just a quick pointer.
Amines are carbon containing thingies.
Ammines (2 "m"s) are complexes with ammonia.
The currents through the cell are very small so you won't see any bubbles to speak of.
Also, since the currents are small the total quantity of metal disolved is small.
Aluminiumhydroxide is just slightly soluble and it will still form, even if it doesn't disolve.
Eric
Sat May 27 2006, 08:52PM
Heiders wrote ...

My chem teacher suggested that the iron was just conducting and not reacting, but my voltage changed when I used something like copper (wire with the coating sanded off) or zinc (galvanized nail) with the aluminum.

I didn't notice any bubbles, but we didn't leave it for more than 3-4 min at a time. It was rolled up steel wool, so bubbles may have formed inside the electrode without us seeing.

Copper and zinc are both attacked by ammonia solutions so there would have been another reaction (and voltage generated) there. If you had the battery 'short circuited' the current flow should protect the copper and zinc from attack since aluminum is more active. You'd have to have the battery short circuited in order to generate enough current to get the H bubbles on the iron I think. I do think that the iron wouldn't react but there's got to be some kind of reduction reaction occuring at the iron, electrons can't just float off into the solution. This one is possible:

2 NH4+(aq) + 2 e- → 2 NH3(g) + H2(g)
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: