Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Chemistry
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Replacement for oil? I don't think...

Move Thread LAN_403
Carbon_Rod
Mon Jul 03 2006, 10:12PM
Carbon_Rod Registered Member #65 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:43AM
“The European system? This must be new.”
Nope, it has been used in places like France for some time before North America. The CANDU systems are only a small part of this research area. Last I checked (a few years back) some generation sites (none are CND) continue to use fuels (some hybrid) then simply stockpile the residuals -- as new fuels (sometimes under subsidy) can be cheaper than the reclamation process.

”What scientific application is there that requires large amounts of uranium?”
Is that a rhetorical question, counterpositive assertion, or an offer? It is a relatively new research area with a limited supply of a restricted material – one really never knows what possibilities will arise or be lost. A good analogy would be discovering static electricity and conceiving what would happen after several hundred years of experimentation. Link2 was a good place to start – lets all hope the new laser based refinement process is tangible. Personally I think everyone would drive more carefully if they had atomic powered Bat-mobiles. wink

“Development of weapons, of course, Ben.”
Jim, people can weaponize just about anything (Canada was first to build a fully functional Chicken Canon for poultry projectiles.) You have been maturing academically and socially for sometime now – just imagine what great things you may build if you focused yourself on noble problems.

I am sure a few billion people could come up with a working solution if they all tried – but apathy is traditionally far more prominent the creativity.
Pete
Tue Jul 04 2006, 09:04PM
Pete Registered Member #106 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 09:39PM
After reading the abstract PDF file containing the "uncorrected proof" it seems as an interesting form of fuel. I am not a chemist but it looks interesting. REALLY damned unsafe by the description though. As I understand people don't drive around in Nitromethane cars unless they are top fuel or something and that's what this fuel reminds me of.

It states that the new form of water, HHO, is a liquid, and does not need external oxygen to be used because the chemical makeup has the necissary oxidizer. Scary. you have all your Hydrogen and oxygen in one easy to carry bomb, err ahh, fuel tank.

If I see them come out with an actual indutrial presence in the next ten years I will come back here and revoke my skeptisizm.

Pete
Sulaiman
Tue Jul 04 2006, 10:16PM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
There has been quite a lot of excitement in this area lately,
for more info. google for di-hydrogen monoxide.
(sometimes refered to as dihydrogen monoxide or DHMO)
Conundrum
Wed Jul 05 2006, 07:27AM
Conundrum Registered Member #96 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:37PM
Google "Browns Gas"..

-A
Bored Chemist
Wed Jul 05 2006, 04:53PM
Bored Chemist Registered Member #193 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 07:04AM
"It states that the new form of water, HHO, is a liquid, and does not need external oxygen to be used because the chemical makeup has the necissary oxidizer."
I'm sorry if this seems unduly skeptical but I think it's bollocks from start to finish. It's not plausible that there's some obscure excited state of water that would behave like this.
Hydrogen may be a useful way of carting energy about but it isn't (unless you can get it to undergo nuclear fusion) an energy source.
Pete
Wed Jul 05 2006, 07:18PM
Pete Registered Member #106 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 09:39PM
I accept your skeptisism... And stack it right on mine. I was bored. I actually looked through the whole document. It was a bit entertaining. They had a lot of graphs reperesenting a lot of nothing, and some really cool 3D models of, I assume, atoms and molecules of this new gas. And I mean a lot of really unnecissary representations. Wacky stuff... Anyway...

I think we can honestly ask a moderator to lock the thread so we can laugh and move on... Please. cheesey

Pete
Banana Man
Thu Mar 13 2008, 03:01AM
Banana Man Registered Member #625 Joined: Tue Apr 03 2007, 08:05AM
Wow, I wonder how many times Hydrogen mixed with Oxygen has been invented. It seems every year someone invents it again and again selling it under a different name. What is this Aquygen? I thought it was called HHO and before that it was Brown's gas and at one time it was Klein's gas.
Maybe I should make a fake degree for my self and sell Carpenters Gas. It seems to be a good way to redistribute the wealth from people that would otherwise waste it on cell phones and Mac products. Hydrogen energy sources are simply a battery not a fuel. It stores energy, it releases energy, it wastes some energy. Flame, spark, or glow, whatever comes out had to be put in in the first place. Everybody seems to have the thought in their head that you can pull more energy out of things than you can put into them hence why we see people putting it in their car.
Bjørn
Thu Mar 13 2008, 03:54AM
Bjørn Registered Member #27 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 02:20AM
Somehow we forgot close this thread the last time around. This time it will be closed for obvious reasons.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: