Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

PIC Interrupter Program

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
EDY19
Tue May 23 2006, 09:28PM Print
EDY19 Registered Member #105 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:54PM
edit: Look down, objectives changed wink

Im looking for a 555 timer circuit that has a potentiometer to vary the frequency, as well as a potentiometer to vary the on time of the pulse, and I seem to be having trouble. Any ideas? (Its for a DRSSTC interrupter, but i thought it is more of a general question) Does anyone see an advantage to using a circuit tha controls the on and off time rather than the frequency and the on time? It seems the latter would be better, but maybe not smile
Avalanche
Tue May 23 2006, 09:44PM
Avalanche Registered Member #103 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:16PM
I've made a similar thing before by using a dual timer chip (7556)

The first timer has a fixed pulse width, of only a few microseconds, and has a pot to vary the frequency at which the pulse occurs. The output from this timer triggers the second timer (running as a monostable) which has a pot to vary the on time.

So in effect you have one pot for frequency, and the other for pulse width, or on time. It seems quite a precise way to do it, because there is no interference between the on time and the frequency when you adjust the pots.
Sulaiman
Wed May 24 2006, 01:03AM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
A single 555 is adequate for ON time and OFF time of a typical(?) drsstc
In classic Astable mode the output is long ON time (high)
and short OFF time (low on pin3)
which is 'upside down'
"Single shot" is usefull.
EDY19
Wed May 24 2006, 01:20AM
I was just thinking it would be nice to have it callibrated for bps from say 20 to 200 bps, and then on times from 0 to 200uS or so (not really sure, just guesses right now). With the other type (on and off time) the frequency would have to be calculated from the on and off times, id rather just look at a knob smile
Part Scavenger
Wed May 24 2006, 11:57AM
Part Scavenger Registered Member #79 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 11:35AM
Steve Ward's new interrupter does that IIRC... It's on his site, in the SSTC/DRSSTC section.

EDIT=> Yeah, right here Link2
Quantum Singularity
Thu May 25 2006, 01:09AM
Quantum Singularity Registered Member #158 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 09:53PM
There are other chips available for freq and pulse width control... I dont beleive any circuit I have ever seen has 1 pot for freq and 1 pot for duty cycle on a 555. I could be wrong but I think in all the circuits I have seen adjusting 1 pot will throw off both parameters. Can anyone else corroborate this? I seem to remember building a freq generator from one once and having issues adjusting it to cover a wide range accurately with just one pot. Seems like you had to adjust both pots for a simple freq change to keep everything else the same.
EDY19
Thu May 25 2006, 01:22AM
I'm actually thinking of starting a new project with this one- use a 556 timer to get the control with the on time and the frequency, then use a microcontroller to measure the frequency, and on and off times, and display that on an LCD screen (16x2). Any suggestions on how to start programming that? I'm going to look over the commands and see if i can figure something out, but any help would be greatly appreciated because anything i do right now is complete guesswork!

The TL494 allows you to change frequency with one potentiometer and duty cycle with the other, but in the layout i used, the duty cycle could only be brought from 0 to about 50%.
Thu May 25 2006, 02:27AM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
um, if you are going to get a pic into the loop why not ditch the 555 altogether?

Any simple 14 pin pic should work fine, you use 7 lines for the hd44780 display, one for the output, and 2 for the pots... You don't need hardware anything on the pic, just create a r/c network across an i/o pin like
vdd-cap-pic i/o pin
        -pot-ground
then you set the i/o pin high, which discharges the cap, then you set it to input mode and wait until the cap charges through the pot below the threshold level of the pin(this time will be proportional to the resistance of the pot).

Since this is for a drsstc you can do the read the pots/display the value/calculate the required number of cycles for the on part and the rest of the off part during the 'off' part of the burst. Then you just wait the calculated amount of cycles, then turn a pin on for the required number of cycles, then read the pots/etc again.
rupidust
Thu May 25 2006, 02:52AM
rupidust Banned
Registered Member #110 Joined: Fri Feb 10 2006, 12:23AM
If you go PIC route, you are moving into a Function Generator. And like ... said might as well get rid off 555 and external chips. The code to count and constantly update an LCD is more involved than that of the code to change duty and frequency, from an experience view point. If you have not done either, the difficulty is the same.

I have already done this for booster and ignition coil drivers with/without LCD. Whats the difference? The load and the feedback.

3 button booster interface.
1144021134 110 FT6457 Lcdbooster

Also see reference post: Link2
Wolfram
Thu May 25 2006, 09:12PM
Wolfram Registered Member #33 Joined: Sat Feb 04 2006, 01:31PM
I started a project like this once, and Bjørn wrote some excellent routines for the timing. You gave them the number of µS on-time and the number of µS off-time and it generated the squarewave. I was going to use a button-triggered interrupt to set the freq/duty cycle. I was going to make three modes, freq/duty cycle, freq/on-time, and on-time/off-time. If it's okay with him, I'll post the routines here.
1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: