All today's birthdays', congrats!
Adam Munich (30)
Alfredo Texacca (60)

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

World's brightest bike lights

1 2 3 4 
Move Thread LAN_403
Tesladownunder
Mon Sept 27 2010, 07:21AM Print
Tesladownunder Registered Member #10 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 09:45AM
This follows from the thread You call that a ******* ? THIS is a ******* !!!

Note that I have disabled the full size pics and removed the Youtube promotional video. Sigh - such is the commercial world.

The project is one of 3 related and I will post the links here soon. The second will be the worlds most powerful flashlight and the last will be a Xmas project.

So, back to this project and some numbers.

Bicycle: Electra, "Townie" ladies bike, cream AU$1300. Chosen by my wife. Ladies bike??? Big advantages of step through and a front tray. No point in trying to make a heavily loaded racing bike or mountain bike I reckon. Old lady retro feel styling in cream. (I wanted the purple flowery one but my wife was firm).

Batteries: three 33AH deep cycle batts good for 12.2V 35A dropping to 12.0V at 12 mins. At 70A 11.8V dropping to 11.7A at 6 mins. Need to run 34V at 52 A peak (1.8kW) delivered to LEDs ie need to drop from (12.0 x 3=36) 36V to 34V. 2V drop at 50A is barely enough for heavy duty cabling and some big MOSFET's to do PWM. A lot of care will need to be taken with very low value load equalising resistors. This is all a bit on the edge.

Front LEDs I will use 11 x 100W cold white 9000 - 10,000K colour temp (that annoying blue like those expensive Xenon car healight. Rated at around 34V (32 - 36V) at 3.5A (3.2 - 3.8A) with luminous intensity 6000 - 6500 lumens from a 1.8cm x 1.8 cm surface. Roughly 10 watt light output by my calculations and hence have to lose the rest (90 - 110W) as heat hence the decent fans.
In addition to the forward facing 11 white LEDs there will be 3 coloured LEDs (Red green and blue all 100W 6000 lumen) facing forward to a total of 14 LEDs facing forward ie 84,000 lumens. The 3 coloured LEDs in total will be white but will allow me to run them separately to generate any colour.
For info on White 100W LEDs see my page on it

Rear LEDs 3 coloured LEDs (Red green and blue all 100W 6000 lumen) facing backwards. ie 18,000 lumens to the rear as well.
Total 100,000 lumens.

Electronics. I have a PIC driven MOSFET motor drive kit for 40A at 24V which I will adapt. to rate 70A MOSFETS's x4 in parallel are IRF1405's. 55V 169A. Peak voltage is a bit close but nothing much inductive here. The front RGB LEDs will be swithched into the main PWM or onto an individual circuit.

Lots of other stuff has been planned but this is a start. Now for some pics.

BTW I am promoting this as the worlds brightest bike light lights because the brightest I could find were my previous single 100W set at 6000 lumens and someones Halogen set at 6500 lumens. If you can find a brighter set (in lumens not candlepower) PLEASE tell me.

Checkout the Youtube vid first though.

1285571724 10 FT0 Ledbikeplans1 1285571724 10 FT0 Ledbikebattsbikefloor387

1285571724 10 FT0 Ledbikeparcels3 1285571724 10 FT0 Ledbikeparcels3threefans

1285571724 10 FT0 Ledbikeparcels4bike12fans 1285571724 10 FT0 Ledbikerearlightscarrier

1285571724 10 FT0 Ledbikeseatedsinglewhite 1285571724 10 FT0 Thisisa
Coronafix
Mon Sept 27 2010, 08:35AM
Coronafix Registered Member #160 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 02:07AM
I don't get it.
Your just going to piss off oncoming motorists.
GhostNull
Mon Sept 27 2010, 09:33AM
GhostNull Registered Member #2648 Joined: Sun Jan 24 2010, 12:45PM
Coronafix wrote ...

I don't get it.
Your just going to piss off oncoming motorists.
Ahahahaha, lol

This is going to be like a death ray 0.0
Tesladownunder
Mon Sept 27 2010, 10:18AM
This is not meant to go on the road any more than a monster truck or an F1 racer is meant to go on the road. They are the expressions of the strongest and fastest extreme versions of the 4 wheel "car".
But we still enjoy watching them in their place.
These bike lights should never be shone at oncoming traffic. Nor the brake lights either. This is a display bike. I will have a very low power setting of a few watts that will suffice for road use and probably have a standard bike light set for emergencies.
Dave Marshall
Mon Sept 27 2010, 02:45PM
Dave Marshall Registered Member #16 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 02:22PM
Peter,

Those batteries must weigh at least 20lbs each. How are they going to be mounted to the bike?

-Dave
Killa-X
Mon Sept 27 2010, 03:04PM
Killa-X Registered Member #1643 Joined: Mon Aug 18 2008, 06:10PM
I can see something like this good for mountain biking or something similar at night. It wouldn't be smart to use it on the street, but with such bright lights it would be great for night riding in a woods, trail, etc. I think it would be good to have a power switch or PWM so you cab turn it down if you have to ride on the street, so you don't blind passing drivers!
Tesladownunder
Mon Sept 27 2010, 07:35PM
Killa-X wrote ...

I can see something like this good for mountain biking or something similar at night. It wouldn't be smart to use it on the street, but with such bright lights it would be great for night riding in a woods, trail, etc. I think it would be good to have a power switch or PWM so you cab turn it down if you have to ride on the street, so you don't blind passing drivers!
Sorry, this is definitely NOT a mountain bike setup. Apart from TV and print media, I envisage this being used in static displays, at bike shops and shows. I won't get many miles on the clock. It has 3 internal gears but is nothing like a proper bike to ride.

Dave Marshall wrote ...

Those batteries must weigh at least 20lbs each. How are they going to be mounted to the bike?
Batteries are 10kg each ie 30kg.
Two possible mounts. In fact the high one is simpler and not as much of a problem as I thought. Hopefully a lot tidier too. Some of the Electra series bikes have side wicker baskets which might be OK if they fit.
The low slung mount at the rear can be lifted with a lever and doubles as a stand. A good stand is really important as this is fragile stuff.

1285616025 10 FT97378 Ledbikerearbattsplan2 1285616026 10 FT97378 Ledbike3battsbike
IamSmooth
Mon Sept 27 2010, 08:22PM
IamSmooth Registered Member #190 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 12:00AM
I can see a use for these mounted onto the back of a car if someone is tailing you. Boy, would that person be surprised!
Adam Munich
Mon Sept 27 2010, 09:13PM
Adam Munich Registered Member #2893 Joined: Tue Jun 01 2010, 09:25PM
Have you considered lithium batteries?
mikeselectricstuff
Mon Sept 27 2010, 10:44PM
mikeselectricstuff Registered Member #311 Joined: Sun Mar 12 2006, 08:28PM
I reckon you could get something brigher in that volume using a bunch HID lamps or UHP projector lamps. Would probably need liquid cooling though.
Or maybe just just one big xenon-arc lamp as used in follow-spots or movie projectors.
1 2 3 4 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: