All today's birthdays', congrats!
Desmogod (48)
Alex Smith (31)

Next birthdays
04/26 Bead (41)
04/26 Fumeaux (25)
04/28 Steve Conner (46)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Idea: harmonically driven TC

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Crunchy Frog
Tue Aug 24 2010, 04:11AM Print
Crunchy Frog Registered Member #2422 Joined: Tue Oct 06 2009, 02:41AM
So I had a thought. What if one were to drive a TC with the primary resonating at half (or maybe less) the secondary's Fres? I ran across this accidentally in a simulation, and it seems to work in the simulator, so why not in real life?

This would seem to help with (for example) headaches getting IGBTs to switch at high frequencies.

I don't have a setup to test this on, but maybe someone else here does.
radiotech
Tue Aug 24 2010, 04:49AM
radiotech Registered Member #2463 Joined: Wed Nov 11 2009, 03:49AM
TV flybacks have been doing this for years ,driven at 15734 Hz and resonating at the 3rd harmonic and later the 5th harmonic.
The makers are very particular in the winding design and there is considerable difference between solid state TV's and the tube ones.
teravolt
Tue Aug 24 2010, 04:51AM
teravolt Registered Member #195 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 08:27PM
you could do this but the pulse width would have to be equal to 1/2 cycle so your tesla f=200khz then your pulse width is 5us. A igbt can do about 100khzs max so your wave form would be 100khz or a multipul of 200khz with a 5us pulse width. does this make sense
radiotech
Tue Aug 24 2010, 06:23AM
Crunchy Frog wrote "I ran across this accidentally in a simulation, and it seems to work in the simulator,"

Did your simulation allow changing the coefficient of coupling?
That image in reply to Dingo 27's thread gives some math on the effect of coupling governing which 2 frequencies will be present in both the primary and secondary of a drtc. Also EastVoltResearch mentioned the effect of the arc's capacity changing fres.

"I don't have a setup to test this on, but maybe someone else here does. "

Of course a spectrum analyser would be nice but a simple investigation can be done with the most simple tool-a wavemeter which consists of a variable condenser, from an AM radio and an inductance to resonate around 200-400 kHz , perhaps 300 uHy. A dmm connected to a diode tap on the coil will indicate resonance and the dial of the variable cap can be marked off in frequency.

Dr. Dark Current
Tue Aug 24 2010, 08:47AM
Dr. Dark Current Registered Member #152 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 03:36PM
I think it would only work at f0/3, f0/5 etc. because a square wave has odd harmonics. This would probably work better for a DRsstc, because in a SSTC the primary current would ramp up to a huge value because of the primary's low inductance.
Hazmatt_(The Underdog)
Wed Aug 25 2010, 02:15AM
Hazmatt_(The Underdog) Registered Member #135 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 12:06AM
Actually, the odd part is the secondary will ring up when the primary is at 2/3 Fo. I was doing some sweeps with my power amps and noticed this, but I can't account for it just yet in simulation, and I need to rebuild my poweramp. I may post more on that later, I dunno, it's hard to do this stuff and work full time.
radiotech
Wed Aug 25 2010, 03:05AM
Hazmatt the Underdog wrote: Actually, the odd part is the secondary will ring up when the primary is at 2/3 Fo.

Yes but that usually sparks up (sic) a furious debate about whether or not subharmonics do in fact exist.
Coronafix
Sun Aug 29 2010, 12:03AM
Coronafix Registered Member #160 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 02:07AM
It's called a Perfect Fifth in music! i don't see what the debate could possibly be about.
dex
Sun Aug 29 2010, 05:36PM
dex Registered Member #2566 Joined: Wed Dec 23 2009, 05:52PM
radiotech wrote ...

Hazmatt the Underdog wrote: Actually, the odd part is the secondary will ring up when the primary is at 2/3 Fo.

Yes but that usually sparks up (sic) a furious debate about whether or not subharmonics do in fact exist.

I've heard only of higher harmonics (from Fourier analysis).Would you be kind to define and specify meaning of "subharmonics"? I've done some PSPICE simul for DRSSTC excited by 2/3 Fo of secondary natural frequency, with typical coupling of 0.15.All I can see from it is that the power transfer is poor in comparison with Fo excitation...
mistrust
radiotech
Sun Aug 29 2010, 07:21PM
The debate centers around the fundamental. If a harmonic is a higher multiple of the fundamental then subharmonics are just an as yet not undiscovered fundamental. In Helmholtz, (Sensations of Tone), he states the G S Ohm was the first to declare that there is no form of vibration that will give rise to no harmonic upper partial tones,and therefore will consist soley of the prime tone.

The electrical cases are found in apparent subharmonics in non-linearalities especially in AC ferrite magnetizations. Hence Hazmatt's comment, which is valid in that they do appear. Squedging is common is a lot of stuff, especially oscilators. But he was driving the flyback with something that made it produce multiple signals. his conclusion 3/5 Fo was based on the fact that this was 3/5 of what is ' should' have ringing at. The key word in his send was the word coupling because that is the variable known since spark transmitters
of adjustable to regulate multiple modes.

Back to Hemholtz. .. this a form of vibration pecular to pendulums and tuning forks.. we will call these pendular vibrations, or since they cannot be be analysed into a compound of different tones, simple vibrations.
Helmholtz used an early oscilloscope A smoked drum onto which a stylus made a mark as it rotated.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: