All today's birthdays', congrats!
Bead (41)
Fumeaux (25)

Next birthdays
04/26 Bead (41)
04/26 Fumeaux (25)
04/28 Steve Conner (46)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Spooky Cornstarch

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Tesladownunder
Sun May 07 2006, 01:43PM Print
Tesladownunder Registered Member #10 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 09:45AM
Inspired by a recent video I decided to do make my own cornstarch fun.
Essentially cornstarch liquid is a fluid whose viscosity is flow rate dependent. You can hit it hard with a spoon and it will strike it and bounce off, but can be poured slowly and drip from a spoon like a thin liquid. A real anti splash fluid.
On a flat plate under vibration the vibration is probably more marked at discontinuities and edges (like a wave breaks at the seashore). This leads to strange effects with cornflour which gets forced up into stalagmites, loops and bizarre slowly moving spooky shapes like pools of writhing undead...

Anyway it is very easy to do. Get the wife/girlfriend/significant other to make a reasonably thick cornflour/cornstarch mixture. (This is a common cooking ingredient). Get a 4 inch loud speaker (I used 4 inch, 4 ohm, 3.5W) and feed it with 50Hz/60Hhz. Use a 6VAC winding with a dropping resistor or use a variac. I needed about 2.0 VAC ie 1W.
Place some plastic cling film (Gladwrap in Australia) loosely over the speaker so that a spoonfull or two of the cornstarch mix will sit closely applied to the speaker cone.

I did try a frequency generator and different frequencies but 50 Hz seems fine, particularly as it dries a little and the viscosity rises.

Here is a sequence of still pics as the power increases.

Peter
1147009438 10 FT0 Cornflourstatic

1147009438 10 FT0 Cornflourlowcrown

1147009438 10 FT0 Cornflourstalagmite

1147009438 10 FT0 Cornflourloops
ragnar
Sun May 07 2006, 02:30PM
ragnar Registered Member #63 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:18AM
That's.. um.. filthy, TDU =-D

You never cease to amaze me! :)

Keep up the great work.
Nik
Sun May 07 2006, 09:22PM
Nik Registered Member #53 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:31AM
So I saw this and it was too simple no to try. I blew out the first speaker (it wasn't really a robust looking unit). I managed to get good results (posted here Link2 ) useing a 10w speaker drivin at 50hz and 101hz (that causes the beating). The I seemed to get the best "fingers" between 48hz and 62hz, out side of that I needed to increase the amplitude.

I also experimented with diffrent wave forms. Sin gave the best results, square did not form fingers (the speaker could not have handled the power), triangle took a higher amplitude then the sin but did produce fingers, sawtooth caused the cornstarch to splash out before fingers formed.

I may pick up a speaker that can handle a higher power and continue these experiments. If all goes well I might have a post for the projects forum.

*edit* NSFW ads on the link
Tesladownunder
Mon May 08 2006, 12:46AM
You must have been using a bit of power to blow the speaker since you can get pretty good cone excursion with the 1W I was using (amended figure). Sine wave is best since the low frequencies are what works and the higher harmonics with any other shape dont seem to help and probably tend to break the coupling.
I didn't have any other loose speakers readily available as I had blown them up with my capacitor bank in the name of science confused

You may get better results as the cornflour thickens as it dries a bit and doesn't flow as well.

I will repeat this and try for a video later. I suspect that there will be a bit of blurring though due to the vibration and that a flash camera shot does capture things more sharply.

Peter
1147049191 10 FT9119 Cornflourbentloop
Nik
Mon May 08 2006, 12:52AM
The cone in my speaker(s) arepretty steep so it takes alot more power to vibrate the whole volume of the liquid. The speaker was free from the side of the road so I don't know if it was previously damaged. The coil is fried (crunches and reads 0 ohms).
Alex
Mon May 08 2006, 01:54AM
Alex Geometrically Frustrated
Registered Member #6 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 04:18AM
Wow, that was a very neat video. It's like waves crashing on the beach, but they don't break.

The last picture posted is particularly interesting because you can see a definate break in one of the loops.
Heiders
Mon May 08 2006, 03:48AM
Heiders Registered Member #268 Joined: Tue Feb 28 2006, 02:44AM
It's also really cool when a drop of food colouring is added at different frequencies. You would expect it to spread out evenly, but it actually tends to stay on one side. The cornstarch is drawn up from the middle and dropped on the outside. Then more is dropped on top with the next wave, pushing the original stuff to the bottom while carrying the food colour, and keeps cycling on each "side", as it were.

(I was at Nick's house this afternoon during the experiment smile )

TDU wrote ...
pools of writhing undead
Undead indeed!
Nik
Fri May 12 2006, 02:25AM
I picked up a 10inch 100w speaker for 20$ cad to further my experiments with cornstarch. I have a photo to post tonight and i will write up some more tomorro.
1147400744 53 FT9119 Starch1
Tesladownunder
Fri May 12 2006, 05:12PM
I did a physics demo today for the opening of the Cosmology gallery at the Gravity Discovery Centre near Perth, Western Australia and showed some 80kV sparks, aerogel, magneforming, ferrofluid and the cornstarch demo. I had less than a days notice so it was rather hastily put together.

And the audience response? The ladies have all used corn starch and were fascinated by it, Small kids preferred the ferrofluid. Real men preferred the HV.... Science teachers liked the simplicity of the cornstarch.

Had to remake the cornstarch after about 1 hour, but it got a lot of use. As it got thicker it tried to escape by forming a ball and nearly jumping out.

No pics of the cornstarch as too busy doing the demos and the lighting wasn't good. Must make a video sometime.

Peter

1147453924 10 FT9119 Cosmologydemoferrofluid
Tesladownunder
Sun Oct 08 2006, 02:18PM
I tried this with a subwoofer and the results were a bit disappointing initially.

Photo 1 shows the 12 inch subwoofer driven with 40 W at 50 Hz (12 VAC). Removing the plastic and putting the cornflour directly on the speaker improved things only a little. I later tried higher with perhaps 200 W but not much better.
Photo 2 Shows the setup with a frequency generator and a 100 W audio amp. I picked out the resonant frequency of about 22 Hz where cone excursion was greatest and up to one inch. then things started to move.
Photo 3 shows a blob in flight
Photo 4 shows a close up. Spooky suprised

I guess I got lucky with a 50Hz resonance with the little speaker which in some respects was still the more dramatic demo and the smaller excursion makes things more visible.

Peter
1160317092 10 FT9119 Cornfloursubcover

1160317092 10 FT9119 Cornfloursubhand

1160317092 10 FT9119 Cornfloursubairbourne1full

1160317092 10 FT9119 Cornfloursubairbourne1close
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: