Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
uzzors2k (35)

Next birthdays
03/29 GrantX (34)
03/30 Adam Horden (39)
03/30 Mr.Warwickshire (23)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Magnetic levitation

1 2 3 4  last
Move Thread LAN_403
cjk2
Sat May 06 2006, 07:36PM Print
cjk2 Registered Member #51 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:17AM
Here is something I have been working on for the last few days. I got the idea after looking at Tesladownunder's site, and I decided to design my own circuit using the same basic idea. The outputs of the two hall effect sensors are subtracted from each other, then the difference is amplified and put through a lead compensation circuit for stability. The signal is then amplified again due to the loss in the lead compensation circuit, and is then fed into the DTC pin of a tl494 PWM chip set for around 30khz operation. The switching is done with rfp50n06 MOSFET. The coil is made of 18AWG magnet wire and is wound around a 5/8" solid steel core and plastic form. The spike generated by the coil when it is switched off is clamped by an ultrafast diode. The device will suspend up to around 5oz, and can support 1oz at about 1" away from the coil while drawing about 15w. The levitated object is farily stable due to the lead compensation circuit, even with no damper under it. Soon I want to use the remaining opamp in the lm324 to turn off the circuit when the levitated object falls or is pulled away.

Any comments/suggestions?
1146944162 51 FT0 Maglev1

1146944162 51 FT0 Maglev2

1146944162 51 FT0 Maglev3
Tesladownunder
Sun May 07 2006, 12:56AM
Tesladownunder Registered Member #10 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 09:45AM
Nice work! The lead compensation (resistor/capacitor) is the key to the stability and was not present in the circuit I got this from originally. I had thought about doing a retrofit of my science museum maglev setup but it has been going fine for 18 months 8 hours a day 6 days a week so I am reluctant to mess with it. It remains a popular display and still no-one has pinched the magnet.

Your circuit is much simpler than Rick Hoadley's which I always thought was overly complicated.

I had plans for a PIC controlled setup with the original intention of controlling the instability but also to allow unusual actions such as the ability to place and leave a magnet in space.

Does your solid steel core get warm? You may have losses here compared with a laminated core but at 15 W it probably is not important. I have to have a very hefty fan in my setup to cope with the 75 - 300 W load in an enclosed magnet.

Peter

1146963408 10 FT9059 Maglev2handabove2475
cjk2
Sun May 07 2006, 01:22AM
I was worried about losses, but nothing gets more than a little warm during normal operation. I am now rebuilding it to look better, so I should be posting some pictures soon. Maybe because the coil is not really AC but pulsed DC causes it to stay cool?

Right now it is levitating a .9oz stack of magnets 1" away from the coil and drawing .4a at 12v, so I guess it is a little more efficient than I thought.
Tesladownunder
Sun May 07 2006, 02:41AM
Tesladownunder Registered Member #10 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 09:45AM
Would you be more efficient at a lower frequency? I only run 1kHz vs your 30kHz. Less back EMF pulses to be lost per second. On the other hand it is above the frequency response of the Hall device and may smooth the effect of the applied field from the electromagenet.

The addition of an alarm to sound when the magnet is removed is very useful for a public show. Particularly if this is graded in intensity as the magnet is pulled away.

I wonder if playing with the lead compensation resistor (ie making it variable) will allow you to tune for stability with different loads.

Peter
Maz
Sun May 07 2006, 02:55AM
Maz Registered Member #111 Joined: Fri Feb 10 2006, 01:04AM
O WOW congrats! i have always wanted to make a maglev
*suspiciously eyes up change jar

so i just might have to do that...

very good job indeed cjk2
cjk2
Sun May 07 2006, 03:38AM
I did try using differnt frequencies down to about 1khz but I found it made an annoying sound at whatever frequency I had it runing at. Maybe this was just my power suppy(a moded ATX PSU) and not the levitation circuit. Anyway, in my final version which I am building now, I will put a large pot on the 494 so the frequency is adjustable from 30khz to the low khz range. It does seem to run cooler at lower frequencies. Changing the value of the lead compensation resistor didn't seem to do much, but it is hard to tell seeing as I am also adjusting gain at the same time. Right now I am just trying to cram it all on a small circuit board.
Carbon_Rod
Sun May 07 2006, 06:27AM
Carbon_Rod Registered Member #65 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:43AM
These are neat, IIRC some Hall effect devices performance is only rated at around 20KHz. I use them as no wear sensors when optical is not suitable.

I like the 3pin UGN3503 linear sensor with built in preamp (about 20KHz at +-900G). They will tie really nicely into an A/D unit (or th CV pin on a 555 )

I often use them for switches (cheap) -- but they will work for analog stuff too.

Fun stuff,
=]
Conundrum
Sun May 07 2006, 01:13PM
Conundrum Registered Member #96 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:37PM
Cool :) now make it work upside down (i.e. levitate vertically) :)

hint:- you probably need three coils so you get a tripolar field to get around the earnshaw effect.

-A
cjk2
Mon May 08 2006, 01:05AM
It is now rebuilt including a new board. It seems to run more effieciently this way, and maybe even a little cooler. The only problem I have now is that I seem to have lost some stablilty by rebuilding it. It still can be made more or less stable, but the gain has to be set just right, otherwise the magnet will either fall or stick to the core. Anyone have any ideas? The only thing I can think of is that maybe I put the in the lead compensation cap backwards(I am using a tantalum).

Things to do:
- Make it turn off when magnet is removed
- Solve stability problem
- Build a cool stand for it so I can sit it on my desk
1147050357 51 FT9059 Maglev4

1147050357 51 FT9059 Maglev5

1147050357 51 FT9059 Maglev6
ragnar
Mon May 08 2006, 01:39AM
ragnar Registered Member #63 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:18AM
I just LOVE the severed-board levitation 'target'...

Would you consider adding a small coil, rectifier and capacitor to the target so you can power e.g. LEDs on board? =-D
1 2 3 4  last

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: