Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

About Bio-Oils for HFHV Transformers.

1 2 3 4 
Move Thread LAN_403
Patrick
Wed Jun 02 2010, 01:18AM Print
Patrick Registered Member #2431 Joined: Tue Oct 13 2009, 09:47PM
hey i have determined that corn oil best meets my needs, co$t, toxcity, temp, di-elec strength, and so on.
i read this and other articles,

] 03024_ieee_ias_may_june_2002_dielectric_coolants.p df[/file]

so the question i have is what about BOD, Bio-Oxygen Demand, is this a big deal, if its so much higher than PCB,
silicone, hydrocarbon oils? or does it not matter for 1-2 years. (maybe the power company worries about 20-45 year life cycles)

my devices only need to last 1-2 years, so i see the table on page 4 of 8, the only significant difference between organinc oils and others is the high (250ppm) BOD/BOC measurement. Also, for background, i boil my oil and vacuum degas it ,then pump in into my metallic transformer cases, which are almost air-tight.

removeing water vapour and dissolved gasses almost doubles the dielectric strength. 40kv/mm is typicall, though i design for 10-20kv/mm Max.

-Patrick
Proud Mary
Wed Jun 02 2010, 09:26AM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
Hiya Patrick

I've been interested in environmentally-friendly vegetable dielectric oils for a few years now, and have always promoted their use in this forum.

My understanding is that maize oil ("corn oil") is one of the least suitable, because of its age-related viscosity and oxidation profile. See:

2009 J. Phys.: Conf. Ser. 183 012014
Selection of a suitable vegetable oil for high voltage insulation applications
I L Hosier*, A Guushaa, A S Vaughan and S G Swingler
ECS, University of Southampton, Highfield, Southampton, SO17 1BJ, UK

and you can read the full text for free here:

Link2

"Corn oil" has also been targeted by false food label racketeers in the past - in the UK, at least - so take care that what you buy is actually what it says it is on the label:

FOOD AUTHENTICITY SURVEY - CORN (MAIZE) OIL

Link2

Tell us how you get on with it! smile

Patrick
Wed Jun 02 2010, 12:49PM
crap on a stick!

i guess sunflower oil is better.

what do you use proud mary?
Proud Mary
Thu Jun 03 2010, 12:35PM
Patrick wrote ...

crap on a stick!

i guess sunflower oil is better.

what do you use proud mary?

I've actually been using sunflower seed oil, without probs, though that paper puts sunflower seed oil as joint worst together with corn oil.

Yellow olive oil - favoured by the paper - is the cheapest sort of olive oil in UK supermarkets, so I might give it a go next time.

The patent literature has all sorts of vegetable dielectric cocktail recipes, a jigger of sunflower, so many percent of palm, a dash of carnauba, and so on, but that's always the way with patents. They couldn't patent yellow olive oil alone, could they?

My guess is that the food grade oils sold in supermarkets are quite pure (except the green ones containing chlorophyll etc) and low in water, to improve their long term shelf life in plastic bottles, and make them as bacteria-unfriendly as possible, a matter of importance in salad oils which will not be heated before they are eaten.

Several other 4HV members have used vegetable oils in C&W columns with good effect, and it's almost always the people who've never used them, and don't read recent scientific literature, who object to them most.

Patrick
Thu Jun 03 2010, 06:53PM
really, ? sunflower and corn the worst? it looked to me that sunflowerwas the best, i was looking at canola oil, but i thought the hell with it i will just use Envirotemp FR3 fluid. I will buy 5 gals this summer, from cooper power systems, because im a student they may sell it to me cheap, i hope. (i need 2.2 gallons for my transformer.)

Proud mary since you are such an advocate for biologic oils, could you make a list like the source you quoted, of most to least suitable, based on only expense, oxidation, age loss factors, (not viscosity).

in no particular order:

canola
vegatable, (supermarket)
corn oil, (with no Vitamin E)
olive, (yellow, green)
sunflower

and any others you can think of.

and you are right, they modify the content of the oils, becuase they wont be allowed to patent a common product, already in existence.
Proud Mary
Thu Jun 03 2010, 08:06PM
Patrick wrote ...

really, ? sunflower and corn the worst? it looked to me that sunflowerwas the best, i was looking at canola oil, but i thought the hell with it i will just use Envirotemp FR3 fluid. I will buy 5 gals this summer, from cooper power systems, because im a student they may sell it to me cheap, i hope. (i need 2.2 gallons for my transformer.)

Proud mary since you are such an advocate for biologic oils, could you make a list like the source you quoted, of most to least suitable, based on only expense, oxidation, age loss factors, (not viscosity).

in no particular order:

canola
vegatable, (supermarket)
corn oil, (with no Vitamin E)
olive, (yellow, green)
sunflower

and any others you can think of.

and you are right, they modify the content of the oils, becuase they wont be allowed to patent a common product, already in existence.

In the paper to which I gave you a link above, the conclusion reached is - wakey wakey! - cheesey

4. Conclusions

"A wide range of vegetable oils were aged, characterised and then ranked according to their ability to
withstand thermal ageing in air. Under this scheme, yellow olive oil appears to be the best food grade
oil for inclusion into high voltage plant,
offering the best resistance to ageing and the lowest dielectric
loss. Over most of the indicators of ageing it performed at least as well as the model Envirotemp oil.
Rapeseed oil offers “intermediate” properties and so may find use in some applications, especially
if improved through the use of an antioxidant. Oils to avoid are corn oil and sunflower oil, this is
mainly due to their tendency to oxidize much more than the other oils and to thicken on ageing."
Patrick
Thu Jun 03 2010, 09:08PM
wakey wakey , how dare you butho;le, im in the middle of calculus class...lol! cheesey
Proud Mary
Thu Jun 03 2010, 09:42PM
Patrick wrote ...

wakey wakey , how dare you butho;le, im in the middle of calculus class...lol! cheesey

A lecturer is someone who talks in other people's sleep.
Patrick
Fri Jun 04 2010, 12:23AM
lol ! yeah thats what i think!

what about peanut oil, is that good?
Proud Mary
Fri Jun 04 2010, 08:59AM
Patrick wrote ...

lol ! yeah thats what i think!

what about peanut oil, is that good?

This one has useful-looking graphs comparing the dielectric constants of a range of food oils - including peanut oil - at radio frequencies -

ON THE USE OF DIELECTRIC SPECTROSCOPY FOR QUALITY
CONTROL OF VEGETABLE OILS

A. Cataldo, E. Piuzzi, G. Cannazza1, E. De Benedetto, L. Tarricone
XIX IMEKO World Congress
Fundamental and Applied Metrology
September 6−11, 2009, Lisbon, Portugal

This one has lots of comparative data on breakdown voltage at 50-60Hz, and variation of dielectric constant with temperature, which will affect electric field distribution inside transformers:

Essam A. Al-Ammar Evaluation of Seed Oils Based on Statistical Breakdown
Data for their Application as Insulating Fluids in
Distribution Transformers

European Journal of Scientific Research
Vol.40 No.1 (2010), pp.15 -26

The main thing I've learned from browsing the literature over the last decade, is that few of the papers agree with each on which vegetable dielectric coolant oil is best.

Replacing the world's existing ~40 billion litres of mineral transformer oil with vegetable oil is big business, so research sponsored by Canola Corporation discovers that canola is best, while Gambino and Gotti researchers find that olive oil is da best if you know whats-a good for you, and so on. cheesey

1 2 3 4 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: