Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
04/28 Steve Conner (46)
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Radiation
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Ways to know how powerful a laser really is.

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Will
Mon Sept 07 2009, 01:21PM Print
Will Registered Member #57 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:28AM
First, it should be stated that I know there is such a thing as a laser power meter, but it is out of my price range at this time.

I purchased one of these “450mW” laser modules on eBay: Here.

I liked the layout of it and its heat-sink-ability and obviously the stated power output would’ve been awesome.

Now, in the past I’ve bought a 200mW laser pointer, which cost me 1/3 as much. Upon testing both units side-by-side I find that my laser pointer is as bright, or even BRIGHTER then this new module. With focusing, I also find that the 200mW burns things more readily as well. The seller was quick to say that the difference in wavelength would make a difference in burning things, but given that the pointer is 650nm and this module is stated to be 658nm I find such a claim preposterous.

So obviously this is very suspicious. I can’t help but think that I’ve just bought a $140 DVD burner diode in a slick package. frown

It should also be noted that this module has an acrylic lens, the laser pointer has a true glass lens. Now I’m no laser expert, but can an acrylic lens even *handle* 450mW??

The other questions thusly are:

What methods could be used to test the relitive power output of the laser?

Have you, or anyone you know of, purchased one of these and found it to be bogus?

Do you know of any similar modules avalible(looking for shear brightness here ['laser show' project] not so much burning things and such like that)?

Any help would be much appreciated.
-Will
Steve Conner
Mon Sept 07 2009, 02:43PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
If you have a small solar cell, you could hook it up to a current meter, shine the lasers on it one at a time and compare the currents generated.

Looks like a DVD burner diode stuffed inside the case of a Dale wirewound resistor. smile
Proud Mary
Mon Sept 07 2009, 02:49PM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
Google: "bolometer"
Mon Sept 07 2009, 06:10PM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
Those modules are definitely a diode that was destined for a dvd-r drive (and there is about a 50% chance that it was salvaged from a drive) that has been stuffed inside a resistor case, and a cheep lens added.

As to measuring power, there are a few techniques that are available. The most accurate would be to send it to someone that has a real power meter for testing (I can do such things), but that involves mailing your laser.

The next best method would be to build this Link2 which should give you a ballpark figure (is it 100mw or 400mw), but I wouldn't trust it to +/- 50% absolute or +/-10% relative (ie comparing your pointer to the module)

The final, least useful, method would be to use a silicon solar cell (or photodetector if no cells handy), and an attenuator (smoked plexiglass or other dark plastic would work well for this) to prevent from saturating the decector. Hook it up to an ammeter and see the current generated from each laser, you won't get an absolute value but you can get a relative value for the two lasers.
plazmatron
Mon Sept 07 2009, 06:47PM
plazmatron Registered Member #1134 Joined: Tue Nov 20 2007, 04:39PM
There is no way I would consider using an acrylic lens in anything over 15mW.
8nm would make no noticeable difference, in a lasers ability to burn things.

I you haven`t got photocells or solar cells, you can always spray paint the bulb of a thermometer black. Record the temp, aim your (know output) laser pointer at it for say 30 sec, record the temp again. Allow the thermometer to cool back to ambient, and try the same with this diode module..

Les
lpfthings
Tue Sept 08 2009, 06:13AM
lpfthings Registered Member #1361 Joined: Thu Feb 28 2008, 10:57AM
Wow, that description is unbelievably misleading! I am about 99% sure the diode used in that module was salvaged from some kind of DVD burner, but there is no way you could get 450mW from one for any amount of time. Even if it was 450mW, it'd still have a very, very hard time cutting wood!

I have built numerous laser modules with DVD diodes, and pushed them to the limits and none even came close to 450mW, maybe 300mW absolute max (Even with TEC cooling!) For that price I would recommend you try and get your money back, you can build a laser like that for less than $40 in parts!

For brightness, 635nm diodes would be the best, as the human eye is much more sensitive to it, than 650-660nm (This module). 635nm is pretty good for lasershow use, I've used it, and you can get 1-2W cmount 635nm diodes pretty cheap these days!
Will
Tue Sept 08 2009, 12:29PM
Hey thanks a lot for the help guys. I'll keep all these methodologies in mind in the future of my laser endeavors. The seller of this item has offered a full refund, possibly a good indication that this product isn’t near the advertised output. I’ll be sending it back, and looking into some 635nm diodes instead.

Thanks again.
Will
Thu Sept 10 2009, 03:58PM
Update: I had this module tested at a metrology lab through my connections at Cubic and the results came back unsurprising. This module puts out 150mW maximum, 650nm.

Don't buy these, don't even think about it.

I haven't seen such blatant fraud since I was sold an 'adiaas' jacket in San Francisco. At least those scammers never told me that it was authentic.
c4r0
Mon Sept 21 2009, 05:38PM
c4r0 Registered Member #151 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 02:53PM
This is a laser module I made some time ago. It's a diode from 20x DVD-RW @ 600mA with acrylic lens collimator. As you can see it's 230mW.

1253554705 151 FT75604 Img 1710x
EEYORE
Mon Oct 12 2009, 04:17PM
EEYORE Registered Member #99 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:10PM
I really do hope that you leave a negative (not a neutral) feedback for the seller. This has become a new trend on ebay with lasers. People just claim whatever they feel like claiming. Its very annoying. Do not let them continue screwing people over with their junk lasers stuffed into a resistor heatsink.

Matt
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: