All today's birthdays', congrats!
Linas (34)
Toasty (29)

Next birthdays
05/15 Linas (34)
05/15 Toasty (29)
05/16 kg7bz (68)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

High Speed Photography

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
Alessandro
Mon Feb 13 2006, 08:35AM Print
Alessandro Registered Member #70 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:19AM
Hello everyone,
I know some other members have done some high speed photography and I thought I'd like to attempt it too, here are my results so far.

The two pieces of Aluminum foil act as a trigger for an external flash unit. I set the camera's shutter to a long exposure time, dim the lights, use a torch to focus the camera then depress the shutter button and fire. The projectile strikes the trigger and a picture is taken. Any help, hints, tips, suggestions and your own results welcome.

1139819640 70 FT0 Hs2
Bjørn
Mon Feb 13 2006, 09:17AM
Bjørn Registered Member #27 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 02:20AM
If the flash has adjustable power then the lowest power level will give the shortest exposure time. It will also help to tidy up the background so the picture becomes less cluttered. If the camera looks down slightly on the target then the picture often becomes more interesting.
Dr. Shark
Mon Feb 13 2006, 09:28AM
Dr. Shark Registered Member #75 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 09:30AM
A normal flash unit will not be capable of very short exposured, since it is driven by electrolytic caps at a low voltage which take a milisecond or so to discharge. You can actually see some blurring on your photo. If you are serious about this, you should try constructing a high voltage flash unit which can discharge in microseconds. You will need a pulse cap and a high voltage trigger mechanism for this.

I like the way you use the Al foil to trigger the flash, I have to try this too! Did you just connect the wires from the foil to the flash units contacts, or is this a more complicated hack?
HV Enthusiast
Mon Feb 13 2006, 12:42PM
HV Enthusiast Registered Member #15 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:11PM
The VIVITAR 285HV flash units are a popular high speed flash unit which can be moidified. I used a series of (3) of them to shoot water drops and with modification, the flash duration was reduced to 250us. You could probably get even faster with these as well.

Dan
Alessandro
Tue Feb 14 2006, 06:42AM
Alessandro Registered Member #70 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:19AM
Thanks for the input everyone,
joe doh wrote ...

I like the way you use the Al foil to trigger the flash, I have to try this too! Did you just connect the wires from the foil to the flash units contacts, or is this a more complicated hack?
Yep, I just connected the two pieces of Al foil to the trigger plug that connects to the camera. I'm going to build an audio trigger over the weekend when I have some free time.

The flash unit I have is a Vivitar 1900, does anyone know about the suitability of this one? I might replace the flash capacitor with one of a smaller value to obtain a shorter flash.
Penguin7471
Tue Feb 14 2006, 09:42AM
Penguin7471 Registered Member #71 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:23AM
Hi,

I was into high speed photography for a bit, even set up a special place where i dropped the stuff, or did whatever ... broken glass is something u dont want everywhere.

Anyway the setup is in a small room with lights off. A sound triggered flash unit which i made (out of a usual disposable flash unit with 1uf cap instead of usual 100uf and some random sound triggering circuit) is triggered via a microphone placed near the source of the bang, or kaboom or whatever.

The camera exposure is as long as i need to press the buttons.. etc. Typically 3 seconds will do. As you can see, it was a bad idea to use white cardboard for a background.

Photos below fairly self explanatory...for the whole lot of them (probably like 35 of them) go to my msn spaces thingy.. Link2
and "high speed photography" section.

1139910165 71 FT737 A
HV Enthusiast
Tue Feb 14 2006, 12:40PM
HV Enthusiast Registered Member #15 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:11PM
Another cool thing you can do is use several IR beams to set up at a specific point (within a dark box for example) which is connected to your flash trigger. Put some sort of flying insect in there, and when it crosses all beams at once (specified point), have the flash go off and get some cool photos of insects flying.

Tesladownunder
Tue Feb 14 2006, 04:25PM
Tesladownunder Registered Member #10 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 09:45AM
Sounds like fun. If I get my cap bank and discharge a few kJ into a CD to generate an intense aluminium flash in about 30uS I might be able to light up a plane or two as they go overhead. (for the setup see post 63 here)

Peter
Part Scavenger
Tue Feb 14 2006, 05:15PM
Part Scavenger Registered Member #79 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 11:35AM
This is awesome! I got interested in this last week when I got a new Nuts and Volts that showcased a trigger mechanism. Haven't had any time to do anything. Anybody want to see the schematic?
Grant
Tue Feb 14 2006, 06:14PM
Grant Registered Member #7 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 04:32AM
I would like to see the schematic from that article.
Nuts and Volts has the PCB for it here. Link2
1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: