All today's birthdays', congrats!
cbfull (52)
Steve Ward (39)

Next birthdays
05/19 cbfull (52)
05/19 Steve Ward (39)
05/20 Vaxian (17)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Inrush Current Limiting

Move Thread LAN_403
Frosty90
Mon Jul 27 2009, 08:07AM
Frosty90 Registered Member #1617 Joined: Fri Aug 01 2008, 07:31AM
Hi Everyone,

My current TC project has 3600 uF of smoothing caps across the 'DC bus' (340 volts). In my area, I can't buy caps like this locally, so I went to ebay, hence they were fairly expensive. I dont want to blow them up, and I cant afford a suitibly sized variac. So would some sort of inrush limiting really be necsessary in this situation? If so, i was thinking of having a power resistor in series with the whole thing, and a relay to short it after a small delay. but if its not absolutely nescessary, I wont bother, I just dont want to blow my caps up/have the breaker trip every time I hit the CW button. Suggestions/comments?

Cheers,
Jesse
Steve Conner
Mon Jul 27 2009, 09:36AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
You won't blow them up. Compared to the abuse you put them though running a DRSSTC, mains inrush is nothing.

However, you will probably blow fuses and breakers, so you'll need the inrush limiting.

You'll also need to vary the power supply voltage, though. It's naive to expect the thing to work properly at full DC bus voltage the first time it's turned on. A variac would probably pay for itself in blown semiconductors.
Dr. Dark Current
Mon Jul 27 2009, 09:55AM
Dr. Dark Current Registered Member #152 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 03:36PM
Use a "relay delay" circuit, this is the circuit I use and it works well:

1248688237 152 FT73468 Relaydelay

First you need to measure the relay coil resistance and calculate the coil current. Then you size the series foil capacitor (labeled X2 in the schematic) to have such reactance to supply the desired relay current. The electrolytic cap across the relay coil just sets the delay time (calculate RC constant), anything in the range of 200-500ms should work.

If you don't have a variac, you can test your circuit by putting incandescent lightbulbs in series with the mains, start with lower wattages and go higher (you can use high power halogens and if everything works right, bypass it).

Frosty90
Mon Jul 27 2009, 11:09AM
Frosty90 Registered Member #1617 Joined: Fri Aug 01 2008, 07:31AM
You'll also need to vary the power supply voltage, though. It's naive to expect the thing to work properly at full DC bus voltage the first time it's turned on. A variac would probably pay for itself in blown semiconductors.

Thanks, yes i realize this, I will be initially running from a low voltage initially; there would be no way in hell i would connect it up full throttle first go! However, there is no such thing (that I have been able to find so far) in South Australia as a variac bigger than about 300 VA, and I can't afford to have one shipped from anywhere, ( I do have a slightly larger one although I need a new brush for it.)

Dr. Kilovolt,
thats exactly the kind of circuit i was thinking of!
Thanks!

Jesse

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: