Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
GrantX (34)

Next birthdays
03/30 Adam Horden (39)
03/30 Mr.Warwickshire (23)
03/31 Swedish Coiler (41)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

simple coilgun?

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Sat Apr 08 2006, 04:53AM Print
Registered Member #256 Joined:
i have heard of camera flash caps being used for coilguns, is this efficient? can i use the original circuit and just discharge the cap across a spark switch into a coil?
Psyko
Sat Apr 08 2006, 09:28AM
Psyko Registered Member #81 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 11:57AM
Camera flash caps can be used for low power coilguns. They store approx. 6 joules. Efficiency does not depend on wich cap you use, just to your coilgun design. Of course you can use the original circuit, a then discharge the cap into a small coil. This was my first approach into coilguns, and I havee used the flash tube soldered on the board as a triggered sparg gap. Perfect, if you don't have a switch, and the slug will be fired with a nice bright flash
Desmogod
Sat Apr 08 2006, 02:42PM
Desmogod Registered Member #139 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 11:01AM
Here's the info you are after.
Link2
Or here
Link2
Sat Apr 08 2006, 04:51PM
tahnk you for the help me and my friend made a small one on 85 volt with a lot of big capacitance, shot a nail 3 feet
Sonny
Sun Apr 09 2006, 01:24AM
Sonny Registered Member #310 Joined: Sun Mar 12 2006, 07:37PM
Buy some small capasictance 300-450V capacitors (~2000uF) quite cheap on ebay. If you want it easy go for SCRs and make a high current coil ( one stage). That should give you a quite nice coilgun. MOSFETs are better and more efficient but more expencive (i'm building a MOSFET driven one at the moment).

Sorry for my bad english the moment, have consume to much alcohole ;)
Sun Apr 09 2006, 06:10PM
lmao too much alcohol well what exactly is an SCR? is it like a transistor? and that is what switches the coil on or off? the one i made had a rewound MOT with an 85 volt ac secondary and i full wave rectified it to charge caps, and then i put the power to the coil through a circuit breaker, i did the ghetto coil gun
Sonny
Sun Apr 09 2006, 07:42PM
Sonny Registered Member #310 Joined: Sun Mar 12 2006, 07:37PM
streamers rule wrote ...

lmao too much alcohol well what exactly is an SCR? is it like a transistor? and that is what switches the coil on or off? the one i made had a rewound MOT with an 85 volt ac secondary and i full wave rectified it to charge caps, and then i put the power to the coil through a circuit breaker, i did the ghetto coil gun

An SCR is a thyristor Link2 . It's like a diod you can turn on and off. In other words a solid-state relay. And yes, that's what switches the coil on and off ALMOST. You can't really switch off an SCR based coilgun so you have to wind the coil equal to the capacistance of your capacitor.

My advice is to make a FET/IGBT based coilgun so you can turn OFF the coil when the timing is right. This way is a more efficient way too.
Sun Apr 09 2006, 08:16PM
is there a really a good way to use a fet/igbt, because i am pretty sure that the power from the caps is pretty high amperage, and a good fet to use?
Self Defenestrate
Sun Apr 09 2006, 08:49PM
Self Defenestrate Registered Member #87 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 01:36PM
At this point I'd stick to SCR's, they're easy to trigger, and given the right ratings can be put through some brutal discharges. IGBT and FET based systems take alot of tweaking to perfect. Look up 'ohms law' to figure how much amperage will flow through your coil. On a more serious note, lay off the booze, nothing good ever happens when your drunk.
rupidust
Sun Apr 09 2006, 08:52PM
rupidust Banned
Registered Member #110 Joined: Fri Feb 10 2006, 12:23AM
It will be alot of effort to implement an IGBT controlled cg for beginners not knowing what SCRs are. IGBT control requires SCR control knowledge + more. Otherwise, the IGBT is unforgiving and has a stock count that leaks like a sieve and a mirroring cash deficit. Not a "Re: simple colgun".
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: