Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
gentoo_daemon (42)

Next birthdays
04/21 kilovolt (49)
04/21 wannabegeekTC (49)
04/21 Elijah (33)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Dr. Kilovolt's super simple, self-oscillating MOSFET halfbridge flyback driver

Move Thread LAN_403
Dr. Dark Current
Fri May 08 2009, 02:36PM
Dr. Dark Current Registered Member #152 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 03:36PM
Note that this circuit is not thoroughly tested, any ideas for improvement or succesful replications are welcome smile

I was messing with the self-oscillating circuit from the CFL and thinking ways to improve it to be efficient enough to drive flybacks. Among my ideas was a circuit which provided a voltage output for the bases rather than current, and I thought, MOSFETs are voltage driven so why not try it?

And it worked! After some tuning it works nearly as efficiently as any other halfbridge (drawing 3" hot arcs and the little FETs remaining at room temp for short runs), requiring only very few components. Apart from the start-up circuit and the essential components, there are only 2 other components - a little transformer and a resistor.

Note that it sometimes gets messed up with secondary open circuit, I think that is when the circuit happens to oscillate near the transformer's resonant frequency, sometimes I noticed it even tries to tune into resonance (and I have no explanation for that), which is of course destructive for both the transformer and the bridge. Other times it runs perfectly fine with open output.

However, if you don't let the output go open circuit such as when powering a Jacob's ladder, it works beautifully.

How does it work? It is based on the fact that the GDT saturates sooner than the main transformer, switching off one of the FETs, at which point the primary voltage "free-wheels" to the other polarity and the other FET is switched on. The saturation volt-seconds for the GDT is the main factor in determining the running frequency.

I think it could as well be used for super-simple SMPS's (without regulation)

Forgot to clarify, the GDT is wound on a ferrite ring.
1241792996 152 FT0 Bridge
(I hope the phasing is right)

Edit: my GDT has a cross-section of around 50mm^2 if that helps anyone. Maybe a little bigger could be better, or add a turn or two on a small core to bring the frequency down.

Edit2: It seems to work even without the resistor between the feedback and GDT. It is though not recommended to let the output go open circuit smile

Tetrafluoroethane
Sun Jun 07 2009, 01:47PM
Tetrafluoroethane Registered Member #127 Joined: Fri Feb 10 2006, 03:36PM
That is quite elegant. What is the breakdown voltage of your DIAC? And what are the specs of the FETs you are using? And the caps between the transformer primary and supply? I was thinking of trying to replicate this so if this information should somehow be obvious, let me know and I will do some searching on other designs. Thanks a bunch!
Dr. Dark Current
Sun Jun 07 2009, 02:06PM
Hi, the breakdown voltage does not matter much, but should be above some 25V.

The caps are standard PSU electrolytics, like from a PC PSU, something like 220-680uF on 200 volts.

Use FETs you would use for any other half-bridge, IRF740's work well up to moderate powers (~200-300W), or IRFP460 for higher powers.

I have improved the design since - I've replaced the 12ohm resistor with a little inductor, mine consists of 15 turns of 1mm dia wire on a 15mm form, air core. But it should work with the resistor too, it just wastes power a bit.

I suggest to put some lightbulb in series with the mains while testing, so you don't explode your FETs on first turn-on :)

P.S. Thanks for interest smile

Proud Mary
Sun Jun 07 2009, 06:05PM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
What is fo, son?
Dr. Dark Current
Sun Jun 07 2009, 06:44PM
Harry wrote ...

What is fo, son?
You mean running frequency? As i said in my first post, it is determined by the saturation of the GDT core, how many volt-seconds it can take. To lower the frequency, add turns on GDT, similarly to raise the frequency, remove turns.

Terry Fritz
Fri Jul 03 2009, 01:30AM
Terry Fritz Registered Member #393 Joined: Tue Apr 18 2006, 12:30AM
Your circuit is more advanced. But I am happy to see the DF-DRSSTC stuff being used now :)

Link2

CTs directly driving the gates is cool!!!

Terry

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: