All today's birthdays', congrats!
Desmogod (48)
Alex Smith (31)

Next birthdays
04/25 Desmogod (48)
04/25 Alex Smith (31)
04/26 Bead (41)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Radiation
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Blu-Ray Laser from PHR-803T sled

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
uzzors2k
Sat Apr 11 2009, 04:14PM Print
uzzors2k Registered Member #95 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:57PM
I bought a PHR-803T sled assembly on ebay recently to make a violet laser pen. I run it with a constant current source of my own design, set at about 80mA, as there's no point in burning out a fancy colored laser. I tried collimating it with a cheap laser pointer assembly, but the beam divergence was large. I saw on the laserpointerforums that the final focus lens from the PHR-803T sled is sometimes used to get a smaller beam. c4r0 has made his own collimators, so I thought I would give it a shot.

Video.

1239466152 95 FT0 79ma Uncollimated 1239466152 95 FT0 Violet Collimator

1239466152 95 FT0 Diycollimator Beam 803t Lens

The beam turned out good enough for indoor use, but it's still diffuse. What appear to be rings are evident in the laser reflection. The point of the laser looks to be on the edge of the second most outer ring, so I guess the lens is a bit off center. Other than that, can I expect the lens to collimate the beam as good as, say an Aixiz module if I get it adjusted right? I want a long range beam from the pointer, burning stuff isn't important with this laser.
c4r0
Sat Apr 11 2009, 08:49PM
c4r0 Registered Member #151 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 02:53PM
Hi!
I was using something very similar to aixiz modules to collimate 405nm light and it works fine - Link2 . Your problem may be that the lens is not in axis with the diode just as you noticed. Also the lens could get dirty from glue vapours - I've had problems with it when making my collimators. And the third reason may be the lens itself. It's some odd kind of Fresnel lens so it may not be perfect to collimating the light in the way you want. I would suggest using aixiz module housing, it's cheap and reliable. Notice that in the 405nm range Rayleigh scattering is much stronger than with red light - you will never acheive a sharp little spot in distance of several meters with 405nm light.
EEYORE
Sat Apr 11 2009, 09:22PM
EEYORE Registered Member #99 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:10PM
c4r0 wrote ...

Hi!
I was using something very similar to aixiz modules to collimate 405nm light and it works fine - Link2 . Your problem may be that the lens is not in axis with the diode just as you noticed. Also the lens could get dirty from glue vapours - I've had problems with it when making my collimators. And the third reason may be the lens itself. It's some odd kind of Fresnel lens so it may not be perfect to collimating the light in the way you want. I would suggest using aixiz module housing, it's cheap and reliable. Notice that in the 405nm range Rayleigh scattering is much stronger than with red light - you will never acheive a sharp little spot in distance of several meters with 405nm light.

Nice work! What kind of driver is that that I see in the pictures? Looks like some kinda inverter?
Matt
Sat Apr 11 2009, 09:47PM
101111 Registered Member #575 Joined: Sun Mar 11 2007, 04:00AM
uzz0rs, I am very curious what type of driver circuit you are using..
c4r0
Sat Apr 11 2009, 09:51PM
mattrg2 wrote ...

Nice work! What kind of driver is that that I see in the pictures? Looks like some kinda inverter?
Matt
Thanks! cheesey Yes, it's a current source made of a voltage regulator (BD9703, a buck converter) desoldered from a DVD writer PCB. It's the third circuit described here: Link2
uzzors2k
Mon Apr 13 2009, 01:17PM
uzzors2k Registered Member #95 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:57PM
101111 wrote ...

uzz0rs, I am very curious what type of driver circuit you are using..
It's a simple little linear regulator, made of discrete parts. Unfortunately the minimum voltage is 3V, so only 9V batteries can be used for practical purposes. An inverter design like Karol has, accepting a single AA battery would be neat.

1239628224 95 FT67405 Constant Current Source

Karol, can you take a picture of your beam shone at something distant? I'd like to see how far the beam can reach despite Rayleigh scattering. Currently mine hardly reaches across the street.
c4r0
Mon Apr 13 2009, 06:32PM
No problem smile

Both the laser and the camera in about 10cm distance:
1239647049 151 FT67405 Img 1432x

Laser about 5m from wall, camera close to wall
1239647049 151 FT67405 Img 1434x

Both the laser and the camera in about 5m distance from wall:
1239647049 151 FT67405 Img 1435x

On the last pic the spot looks just like on the middle pic. Actually, when looking with naked eye the spot in the third situation (both laser and me in 5m distance from the wall) has a strange halo that looks to be about 5cm in diameter. When I'm looking at the spot I can't focus my eyes on it, the same feeling when you wear somebody's glasses. I have no idea why the camera can't see this phenomenon, I was sure that it's Rayleigh scattering but now I'm confused confused
Mon Apr 13 2009, 08:18PM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
The reason you can't focus on the spot at long distances is quite simple that--you eye can't focus on 405nm light (it is for all intensive purposes UV). There really isn't anything you can do about it, human eyes just don't work at that wavelength.

Also, the lens out of the sled really isn't well suited for collimation, it is an ashpere designed for focusing onto a cd and has some pretty weird specializations to make it work well for that. A much better bet would be the lens out of a cheep laser pointer, however you might need to modify the module to allow the lens to be closer to the laser diode (the lens will have a shorter focal length at 405nm than at the 650 it was designed for).
Conundrum
Sun May 03 2009, 03:25PM
Conundrum Registered Member #96 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:37PM
Also it might be possible to add the "zone plate" from a spare PS3 module, that ought to clean up the beam with a slight loss of power.

see Sam G's RepairFAQ for more information.

-A
Cypriotica
Sun May 17 2009, 10:20AM
Cypriotica Registered Member #1811 Joined: Sat Nov 15 2008, 11:52AM
A question on my behalf guys, i asked around computer shops for a malfunctioned DVD and got one. The diode was red and i burned it out by accident. Would a cheap laser pointer lens work for a collimator for this? Im planning to make a screw assembly out of brass to get the lens closer or further from the laser beam. I will post pics in a new thread if i achive this. And also any other ideas of which lenses i can use with this laser is appreciated.
1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: