All today's birthdays', congrats!
Desmogod (48)
Alex Smith (31)

Next birthdays
04/26 Bead (41)
04/26 Fumeaux (25)
04/28 Steve Conner (46)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Coil-Gun controller made from TTL chips (show-off your controller too!)

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
muller
Tue Apr 04 2006, 07:18PM Print
muller Registered Member #363 Joined: Mon Apr 03 2006, 07:16PM
This is a 3-stage Coil-Gun timer made from basic SSI TTL chips made for McFluffin. I built this from 15 year old parts I found in my dads garage including wire and breadboard. I have to pick up a few replacement dip switches as 2 of them are faulty. I might post up my schematics for kicks if people wanna see them.

5f5b8633

Now all we have to do is build the 3-stage Coil-Gun.
Madgyver
Tue Apr 04 2006, 08:01PM
Madgyver Registered Member #177 Joined: Wed Feb 15 2006, 02:16PM
So....

first, what does the board do?
second, what does this thread do in computer science?
Steve Conner
Tue Apr 04 2006, 10:30PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Third, does it work?
Fourth, what is this thread doing in General Science, I reckon it should be in EM Projectile Launchers.
rupidust
Wed Apr 05 2006, 09:13AM
rupidust Banned
Registered Member #110 Joined: Fri Feb 10 2006, 12:23AM
What is the question, problem, or need?

Appears to be 3 pulse timers with or without optics. Are the dip switches for loading 8-bit parallel binary numbers into 8-bit counters? Are the stage drivers included such as darlingtons, mosfet drivers...? You have to start from somewhere, so these descrete combinational logic circuits are a good starting point. I started out with a love of interfacing all TI's 7400 logic with BCD counters, 7-segment drivers, static ram, shift registers, ..etc.. to build all kinds of circuits. Once building these kinds of circuits becomes easy and successfull, a true appreciation grows for alternative (in those days, but mandatory now adays) low chip count reconfigurable microprocessing control.

For instance, the below image is of a multistage coil-gun controller of PIC core. The code supports 4 stage for this 18 pin IC but the image is only displaying the circuit for a 2-stage coil-gun. There is only one logic chip, the PIC '819. All other ICs are mosfet drivers to switch the SCR/IGBT devices and drive the onboard boost converter.

Charger

Yes, send them schematics.
ragnar
Wed Apr 05 2006, 01:52PM
ragnar Registered Member #63 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:18AM
wrote ...
What is the question, problem, or need?

Some people post just to pimp stuff, too wink

How long did it take you to find the DIP switches were faulty?
Barry
Wed Apr 05 2006, 03:44PM
Barry Registered Member #90 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:44PM
Nice looking layout. I see the little '555 oscillator chip almost in the center. It all looks like an open-loop coil timer, where each stage is turned on/off according to a selectable time count. If so, it is very much like my Mark 1 coilgun. A great idea if I do say so myself. cheesey

I found the outcome was not too successful because a simple timer-based coilgun does not adjust itself for minor changes from shot to shot. With the high accelerations involved, this magnifies any timing error in each subsequent stage. It takes only a coil or two until the timing is too far off to be helpful.

Those DIP switches make an easy circuit to adjust (assuming the switches work!) and play around with. You might even consider overlapping coil times to see if two-coils-turned-on-together can improve the accelerations. However I think most people will find that closed-loop controllers with position detectors will permit more stages and higher acceleration.

Cheers, Barry
May the electromagnetic force be with you.

[Edit: Go here Link2 to learn how to post pictures.]
EN
Wed Apr 05 2006, 07:58PM
EN Registered Member #85 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 01:22PM
As this thread is a good place to to show off with coilgun controllers, I will also do so.

This 12 stage optical controller is a good examle of how simple an SCR coilgun controller can be because it needs no timing circuits whatsoever.
1144267113 85 FT6699 Controller
rupidust
Wed Apr 05 2006, 08:59PM
rupidust Banned
Registered Member #110 Joined: Fri Feb 10 2006, 12:23AM
EN wrote ...

This 12 stage optical controller is a good examle of how simple an SCR coilgun controller can be because it needs no timing circuits whatsoever.

No circuits never the less timing is inevitable. The optics is the timing. Proper spacing distance between successive coil stage and sensor have to be adjusted for optics. You cannot place the optical sensors at the same fixed position for all stages and expect the results to be better compared to the optics being placed slightly further away for each stage. If optics are at the same fixed position for each stage, then the coil/optic assembly would be in need of distance adjustment as above. This physical placment/adjustment is in essence a form of timing. Alter either the slug mass, start position, cap voltage, or coil winding, and the conscequence is the repositioning of the optic sensors.
muller
Thu Apr 06 2006, 12:22AM
muller Registered Member #363 Joined: Mon Apr 03 2006, 07:16PM
Wow, thanks everyone for the great responce!

Before I continue I would like to clarify that I fixed a mistake In my first post. I accidently left out the word "timer" after coil-gun. so yeah this is not the coil-gun. But I assume everyone figured that out.

I probably should've had some more explanation with this.
But yeah, Barry hit what I had pretty much spot on.

Basically I have a 555 driving an 8-bit counter. I then compare the counter to the dip switches. Some j/k's lock the signal high so that the coils fully discharge. The stray wire at the top is my counter & j/k reset(I really need to go to jameco and get some switches).

I didn't take very long to find out the dip switches were faulty. I tested each section as I went along with my o-scope(you never know with 15-20 year old chips you find in buckets). Right now the 555 is slow enough that I can visibly see the voltage spike on my o-scope.

If anyone is wondering what the mess of wires on the left-most rail is I'll tell you. I ran out of comparitor chips so I jurry rigged one. I XOR each bit, invert them, and and them all together for an equals circuit.

The output of the circuit are the 3 brown wires coming from j/k's in the right-ish bottom-ish corner.

People have given me some great advice on what I should do If I build another controller (the need for sensors mabye). But I realize that right now I lock my output to high until a reset. I did this to make sure that there was enough time for the coils to charge. Is this wise? From a recent experiment I realized I might need some sort of cut-off time so that the projectile doesn't get sucked backwards.

Those controllers all look cool and have given me some real insight!
McFluffin
Thu Apr 06 2006, 01:28AM
McFluffin Registered Member #119 Joined: Fri Feb 10 2006, 06:26AM
Nice job Muller. Now we just need to wine the other coil gun stages and get your DIP switches and the driver for the SCRs, and some optical sensors. I need to check what most people use for those. I hear people use lasers, but I figure simple IR sensors would work too. Glad to hear you are getting some use out of my scope.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: