All today's birthdays', congrats!
Desmogod (48)
Alex Smith (31)

Next birthdays
04/26 Bead (41)
04/26 Fumeaux (25)
04/28 Steve Conner (46)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Coils - contract or expand?

Move Thread LAN_403
Camel
Sat Mar 28 2009, 06:42AM
Camel Registered Member #1694 Joined: Sat Sept 13 2008, 09:13AM
Hi,

I've read on many websites that the coils have a tendency to crush barrels due to the coils contracting when they are fired. If this is the case, why is it that pan cake coils can expand and deform outwards?? Is the contracting coil thing just widespread disinformation? Or is the force on the coil due to the type of projectile, since pan cake coils are often used in induction launchers and coilguns fire ferrous slugs?
Backyard Skunkworks
Sat Mar 28 2009, 06:55AM
Backyard Skunkworks Registered Member #1262 Joined: Fri Jan 25 2008, 05:22AM
Colis do indeed crush themselves while firing.

I think the simplest explanation for why pancake coils crush outwards is simply because they are being crushed down upon by the force of accelerating the projectile (think pancaked) in addition to constricting inwards.
Dr. Slack
Sat Mar 28 2009, 10:39AM
Dr. Slack Registered Member #72 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:29AM
Each conductor in the coil feels a force due to every other conductor. If the currents line up, it's attractive, if the currents are in opposite directions, it's repulsive. And that's with or without a projectile present. This means a thick pancake will try to get thinner, while getting wider. Consider the current induced in the projectile, and do the same sums to find the force.

There are several ways to remember which sense is attractive and which repulsive. You've heard of the "pinch" effect, where current in a plasma compresses the conducting channel thinner, that's just attraction between the parallel filaments. Similarly, the kink instability is the tendency of any loop to grow as its opposite sides repel. Another more interesting way to remember is that, left to its own devices, a system will try to increase its inductance, which means increasing the area of coils, or reducing the thickness of single conductors.
Signification
Mon Feb 02 2015, 12:14AM
Signification Registered Member #54278 Joined: Sat Jan 17 2015, 04:42AM
If you consider adjacent strips, current is traveling in the same direction giving the 'attractive' force.
If you consider the strips on opposite halves of the coil, current is in opposite directions giving a 'repelling' force.

I would assume the repelling force is MUCH weaker due to the greater separation. Remember for each of these forces, the 'number of conductors' is the same -and- all currents are equal.
BigBad
Mon Feb 02 2015, 03:54PM
BigBad Registered Member #2529 Joined: Thu Dec 10 2009, 02:43AM
Both crushing and expansion happen in most coils.

Longitudinally the parallel turns attract each other, whereas radially, one side of the coil repels the other.

So when firing coils are always trying to expand radially, and contract longitudinally.

Pancake coils are already as flat as they can get so they mostly only expand (although a group of conductors on one side of the coil will see a mutual attraction, so there's some pinch effect there as well)
DerAlbi
Mon Feb 02 2015, 06:48PM
DerAlbi Registered Member #2906 Joined: Sun Jun 06 2010, 02:20AM
Signification.... you have the tendency to wake up really old threads. Adding information to long (6 YEARS!) forgotten content doesnt help anyone...
Signification
Tue Feb 03 2015, 11:19AM
Signification Registered Member #54278 Joined: Sat Jan 17 2015, 04:42AM
DerAlbi,
Well, Since you are talking about threads that are years old, and considering I have just joined, is it really a big deal?...should I really read all posts starting from the year 2006 before posting one myself?? Anyway, it seems, so far, my posts have had very positive replies.
Maybe: a few things have changed over the years
Maybe: a few were never answered (which, BTW, if you look back yourself, you will find this to be the case)

Anyway, When I post information, I DO look at the thread first, and only reply if I think my information is new and helpful to the members involved.
klugesmith
Thu Feb 12 2015, 04:33PM
klugesmith Registered Member #2099 Joined: Wed Apr 29 2009, 12:22AM
Back to question in OP, and expanding on Dr Slack's answer.

In a solenoidal can crusher, or pancake coil disk launcher, we have a shorted turn that's magnetically coupled to the wound inductor. The induced countercurrent repels the winding current, so in radial direction the can contracts and coil expands. Or in a coin shrinker, explodes.

As for the dL/dx method, the closer the (nonferromagnetic) projectile, the lower the inductance as viewed from power supply. Not hard to measure using small signals, or simulate with SPICE etc.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: