Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
gentoo_daemon (42)

Next birthdays
04/21 kilovolt (49)
04/21 wannabegeekTC (49)
04/21 Elijah (33)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Radiation
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

4HV QSO

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
Hon1nbo
Fri Mar 13 2009, 02:29AM Print
Hon1nbo Registered Member #902 Joined: Sun Jul 15 2007, 08:17PM
Ok, per the request of the mods, this thread is being opened, and it should be easier than using the Sticky...

so here are some thoughts... a lot of people on this board are operators, myself included, but not all of us are in the same part of the world, meaning one of the following:
a high power signal
good propagation characteristics on bands not too congested with contesting
a License class that allows one to use these bands (technician does not have a lot of them, but I do not have a tally on this board of how many there are)...

many of the above scenarios require hardware that some hams don't have, or some upgrades (like my new radio I am getting tomorrow would either need am amp, or some pretty serious propagation), therefore I submit the following: for those who would not normally be able to get a signal out, use Echolink connected to some volunteered hardware... this might be able to help, but I am not sure how much... but it would allow those who are not able to otherwise make contact to be involved... just a suggestion

also, before considering a date, I believe that a set of preferred frequencies should be determined first, along with a preliminary date - this way, people can check their hardware for capability, design and propagation considerations for antennas, etc...

I really would love to see this happen... and if I can't buy an amp for my 5W HF I am getting tomorrow, I'll just have to build one

73!, KE5TUZ, Jimmy
Chris Russell
Fri Mar 13 2009, 03:47AM
Chris Russell ... not Russel!
Registered Member #1 Joined: Thu Jan 26 2006, 12:18AM
A good idea. I'm not hugely HF capable at the moment due to severe space restrictions, but I do have a magnetic loop that should work well enough even a few feet off the ground. It covers 80-30m. I also have a center-loaded 20m dipole that should perform just a few dB down from a full half wave. The only problem is that it'll be another month before the snow melts enough to consider putting them in the yard.

Given that the sun has been fairly quiet as of late, 40m might be a good option. 20m has been a bit fickle as far as getting to Europe and Australia from the US, but might be good for those of us closer together.

What modes are people interested in? SSB is easy, but CW does have a definite advantage, especially if some people want to put together cheaper non-linear amps, or perhaps even their own rigs. RTTY is fun and constant-amplitude as well, if we're already assuming that everyone will have a computer handy. Of course, we could all break out the VTTC gear and use AM on 80m.

-NV1D
RogerInOhio
Fri Mar 13 2009, 01:51PM
RogerInOhio Registered Member #1034 Joined: Sat Sept 29 2007, 12:50PM
Count me in ! I can operate side band or CW (up to about 10 WPM) on the HF bands and I would be willing to try other modes as well. Maybe this will turn into a regular 4HV net.

Roger, KC8FTQ
David.Lightman
Sat Mar 14 2009, 02:40AM
David.Lightman Registered Member #1327 Joined: Mon Feb 18 2008, 12:13AM
I realize that privileges and band are critical.

10 meters, 28.120 Mode PSK-31 running 50w I have made contacts all around the East Cost and a few in Euro. Every US Licensed HAM has access to this band and mode.

20 meters, 14.070.15 Mode PSK-31 running 30w I have been able to make contacts as far as Japan, Asiatic Russia, Euro and South America.

40 meters, 7.077 Mode PSK-31 running 30w I have been able to work all around the US and into Euro. and South America.

I am in Northern Ohio. I have the simplest setup imaginable. I have a random loop of #12 electrical wire in my attic connected to an auto-tuner. and an ic-706.

Starting this weekend I will be looking for other 4hv members using these modes and frequencies. Hope to make a contact with you.

We gotta start somewhere. Let me know of other freq. and modes you like and I will try and find you there too.

CQ CQ 4hv CQ CQ 4hv de K8ADW K8ADW pse k
Sulaiman
Sun Mar 15 2009, 04:22PM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
Regardless of the above, as announced in the 'Amateur Radio' thread
I shall be on 14.300 USB (or nearby if in use)
at 18:00 and 21:00 UT/UTC/GMT today. CQ

If you can hear me but I can't hear you, or vice-versa, report here in this thread.
Dave Marshall
Sun Mar 15 2009, 06:21PM
Dave Marshall Registered Member #16 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 02:22PM
It will be in use for sure. The Maritime Mobile Service net here in the US occupies 14.300 during daylight hours. They might not quite be audible to you, but they'll be within earshot of US hams almost certainly.

Dave
Sulaiman
Sun Mar 15 2009, 06:32PM
Never mind , I'll try again @21:00
Chris Russell
Sun Mar 15 2009, 07:50PM
I'll give a listen at 2100 UTC. I can't promise much, as the antenna will just be laid out in a snowbank, but I'll at least report here if I hear anything.
Sulaiman
Sun Mar 15 2009, 09:15PM
I doubt ANYONE heard me !
The band sounds quite dead.

Must try to find a better schedule next time.

Any suggestions?
Chris Russell
Sun Mar 15 2009, 09:22PM
Nothing heard here but locals.

At this hour, 40m would be a much better bet. 30m may still be open if you're up for some CW.
1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: