Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Multi-Stage coilgun

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
hotcrazyfruit
Mon Mar 09 2009, 11:00PM Print
hotcrazyfruit banned on 5/26/2009
Registered Member #1877 Joined: Mon Dec 22 2008, 02:03AM
Iv decided to plan a multistage coil gun, perhaps 5 stages, with 1 262.5 joule capacitor per-stage. (1/2 0.0021F * 500^2) . iv got a bunch of 50 amp SCRs, rated at 610 pulse for 8.3 ms. any idea for switching? im thinking about a photo transistor and an LED, to trigger each succeeding SCR. any ideas? or better ones? thanks xD
KLH
Tue Mar 10 2009, 12:28AM
KLH Registered Member #1819 Joined: Thu Nov 20 2008, 04:05PM
How do you plan to space your coils? Since you have the same energy source size for every coil, you would need to progressively make larger spaces between the coils to get the most out of them. Even better, arrange the capacitors so that the first stage has the lowest voltage / most capacitance, and the last stage has the highest voltage / lowest capacitance.
Barry
Wed Mar 11 2009, 06:56PM
Barry Registered Member #90 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:44PM
Spacing the coils in various ways won't have any effect on each stage's timing. Instead, I recommend building subsequent coils with progressively lower inductance to achieve a shorter LC time constant, which has the desired effect of shorter pulses.

I see nothing wrong about using identical capacitors on every stage, and it has the benefit of allowing a single power supply to charge them simultaneously. Of course, you'd use a series diode to each cap so they charge together but discharge independently.

Cheers, Barry
If a 911 operator has a heart attack, who do they call?
hotcrazyfruit
Thu Mar 12 2009, 01:49AM
wow, i think i just might do this now. what size of capacitor would i need? would some filter capacitors work from a PC power supply? iv got like 16 of them, so i could put a few in series so they dont blow up xD iv also got 600v x 120A diodes i could use, so they discharge independently. thanks barry :)
Barry
Thu Mar 12 2009, 02:23PM
Barry Registered Member #90 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:44PM
The 262.5 joule capacitors you mentioned in your first post would work well. Imho, each stage must have at least 10 joules to have a chance of doing anything at all, and preferably 50 joules or more of stored energy.

Connecting capacitors in series vs parallel will have little to do with whether they blow up or not. But you can obtain higher total charged voltage in series compared to parallel.

The 600v @ 120-amp diodes sound good, now if only you had a 600v 120-amp power supply! amazed Me too, I want a 72 KW power supply, too! Anyway, you'll probably end up charging at a rate of a few amps at most; the 120-amp diodes would work fine, but a smaller cheaper 10- or 5- or even 1-amp diode would probably work fine too.

Cheers, Barry
Has The Large Hadron Collider Destroyed The World Yet?

hotcrazyfruit
Thu Mar 12 2009, 03:31PM
yea, when i said about connecting in seris, i meant the filter capacitors bewteen gates, but i was misleading myself to thinking i had to make them rated for 400v instead of like 9 for the gates. it is a delay between gates i need. and thanks for the comments. o and btw, my freidn and i are making an electroloyis apparatus, with a 240 * 60 amp power supply. u do the math, since i dont have a calculator xD once we step it down to 20 volts, we will have somethign like 480 amps. xD but thats off topic now lol.
thanks
hotcrazyfruit
Thu Mar 12 2009, 03:34PM
yea, when i said about connecting in seris, i meant the filter capacitors bewteen gates, but i was misleading myself to thinking i had to make them rated for 400v instead of like 9 for the gates. it is a delay between gates i need. and thanks for the comments. o and btw, my freidn and i are making an electroloyis apparatus, with a 240 * 60 amp power supply. u do the math, since i dont have a calculator xD once we step it down to 20 volts, we will have somethign like 480 amps. xD but thats off topic now lol.
thanks

EDIT, ok by now i am confusing even myself here. when i mentioned the pc power supply capacitors, i meant to ask if puting one between the gates would add a delay between each stage. with one capacitor for each stage.
Camel
Fri Mar 13 2009, 04:22AM
Camel Registered Member #1694 Joined: Sat Sept 13 2008, 09:13AM
hotcrazyfruit wrote ...

Iv decided to plan a multistage coil gun, perhaps 5 stages, with 1 262.5 joule capacitor per-stage. (1/2 0.0021F * 500^2) . iv got a bunch of 50 amp SCRs, rated at 610 pulse for 8.3 ms. any idea for switching? im thinking about a photo transistor and an LED, to trigger each succeeding SCR. any ideas? or better ones? thanks xD

The multistage gun I'm working on has exactly that and so far its working very well. Want a schematic?
hotcrazyfruit
Fri Mar 13 2009, 08:05PM
i would love one :), im in florida right now and i have to type up some stuff on it for the science fair. again i would love the scematic xD. thanks
El_Roberto
Fri Mar 13 2009, 09:05PM
El_Roberto Registered Member #1774 Joined: Wed Oct 22 2008, 02:51AM
Yea before I left for uni I was building a 2kj 6 stage coilgun and while I never made more than one stage (I couldn't afford it after paying uni fees) it could still shoot through about three cans (~300j source, 2/3 charged). So I think ~250j per stage works great, but your scr's wont be powerfull enough, my last stage (had I completed it) would have a peak current of around 4500amps. Of course you could use a large bore size to reduce projectile speed and then the longer pulse would have lower current.
1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: