All today's birthdays', congrats!
Bead (41)
Fumeaux (25)

Next birthdays
04/28 Steve Conner (46)
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

HF Mig-mag welder

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Dr. H.
Wed Feb 04 2009, 06:49PM Print
Dr. H. Registered Member #931 Joined: Mon Jul 30 2007, 05:25PM
Good day guys

I have been working on this project for a few weeks now (when I have time) and I finaly got it working. It is a just HF inverter based on the sg3525. It consists of a full bridge of irg4pc50ud IGBTs, the transformer consists of 18 primary and 2+2 secondary turns. The electronics is as simple as it gets - just variable puls width, no feedback, the output is boosted with UCCs, few seconds delay to charge the filtering caps up to voltage and a OCP (something like the one used on DRSSTC - it shuts the whole thing down if it exceed the current in the primary).

Here few pics:)
1233773228 931 FT0 Pic 6069

1233773228 931 FT0 Pic 6115

1233773228 931 FT0 Pic 6161

1233773228 931 FT0 Pic 6153

1233773228 931 FT0 Pic 6189

1233773228 931 FT0 Pic 6190
Wed Feb 04 2009, 07:02PM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
Wow that looks really nice!

You know that you are getting good when making a smps mig welder is just a simple project done in your spare time smile
Proud Mary
Wed Feb 04 2009, 07:03PM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
Good work, son! smile
Dr. H.
Thu Feb 05 2009, 06:01AM
Thanks for the kind words guys :)
Arcstarter
Thu Feb 05 2009, 07:49AM
Arcstarter Registered Member #1225 Joined: Sat Jan 12 2008, 01:24AM
Wow, very nice! If only there where less gangsters and rapists in the world and more smart people like you and the rest of 4hv :P. When i have more electronics knowledge, i think i might try this.
Thu Feb 05 2009, 12:39PM
101111 Registered Member #575 Joined: Sun Mar 11 2007, 04:00AM
I really enjoyed this project, everything with it is just so damn neat.
Would be great if you made a good and thorough project thread about this.
Dr. Dark Current
Thu Feb 05 2009, 12:42PM
Dr. Dark Current Registered Member #152 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 03:36PM
Very nice.
-what do you use for the transformer core?
-how do you limit output current? (leakage built into transformer/external inductor?)
Dr. H.
Thu Feb 05 2009, 03:24PM
Good day guys

again thanks for the kind words !

Dr. Kilovolt - for core I use three sets of E80 cores (a bit of an overkill but they work great).

About the current limiting - if I directly short the output of the SMPS the over-current detection kicks in (the leakage inductance is not enough). Mig-mags are a little bit fifferent from stig welders. The current is limited by the resistance of the thin wire that comes out from the nozel -it's speed and thincknes - bigger the speed and thikness bigger the current. Afcourse in big deal it depends from the output voltage of the inverter.

(I don't know how to explain it better).

Cheers :)
ConKbot of Doom
Thu Feb 05 2009, 05:45PM
ConKbot of Doom Registered Member #509 Joined: Sat Feb 10 2007, 07:02AM
Very nice, I take it by HF you just mean the inverter, and youre outputting DC? or is your inverter a pulse arc type mig welder?
Link2

What kind of voltages/currents can you output?
Did you buy a wirefeeder?

Pulsearc mig is really nice to use.

For those who dont know about regular mig, it just holds a constant voltage across the terminals, and the constant voltage keeps the arc length constant, as the wire feeds, arc length drops and current increses, melting the wire back and transferring the metal.

As far as welding technique, as you move move the tip in circles, similar to drawing an inductor symbol (the loopy style, not the one with just humps), like this Link2 Slow down as you get to the bottom of the loop, and speed up as you get to the top where the lines cross. Doing it like that will give you the "stacked coins" appearance since youre advancing, slowing down, advancing... The side to side movement of looping helps get a proper fillet on the edge of the bead. Though the whipping doesnt have to be pausing at the bottom and advancing at the top like the symbol I posted, whatever works for you.

Also, you can 'push' or 'pull' the puddle as you weld. Pushing is having the gun pointed so that youre 'pushing' the puddle forward, and then obviousley, pull is pulling the puddle forward, both work, most people have a preference though. Just make sure you can see the puddle however. :)

Nice work, cant wait to see some other stuff made with it :)

On the two samples you posted I would also turn the 'heat' up a bit and definitely whip more as you move.
Dr. H.
Thu Feb 05 2009, 09:42PM
Good day guys

Really good article ConKbot and thanks for the explanation. About the welding - I am not a welder - my father is. I was just demonstrating high and low powers on the two pics.
Yes I am outputing DC.
I was getting around 130amps but the input voltage was dropping below 200vac so I will test again when i get the wire feeder home.

About the wirefeeder - it came from a scrapyard - the motor needed new bearing and all the magnets have detached from the case (they are glued to it). New roler was made, the electronics came from an old welder - needed repairing. (here a pic - it is on my big heavy transformer mig-mag - you can see the cable coming from the left going to the inverter)

Cheers smile
1233870169 931 FT63092 Pic 6154
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: