All today's birthdays', congrats!
Desmogod (48)
Alex Smith (31)

Next birthdays
04/26 Bead (41)
04/26 Fumeaux (25)
04/28 Steve Conner (46)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Uzzors' Coolidge X-ray Machine

1 2 3 4  last
Move Thread LAN_403
uzzors2k
Fri Jan 30 2009, 07:46PM Print
uzzors2k Registered Member #95 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:57PM
It's about time I tried using a Coolidge X-ray tube I bought on Ebay last summer. I was given no information on it other than it's a dentist tube, so everything will need to be determined empirically. The x-ray tube is 30cm long and 6cm in diameter. The filament has a resistance of about 0.2 - 0.3 Ohms, and is wound "Benson" style, or as a helical coil. So where do I start? I'll need to know an approximate power rating of the tube, and maximum voltage. Since the x-ray intensity is proportional to the filament temperature, I thought I could measure the anode current at very low filament temps, and assuming the anode current rises linearly with filament current plot a graph. A suitable filament current range can then be determined.

Ray Tube Coolidge Ray Filament

I don't even have ballpark figures for this tube, so your guess is as good as mine! Tube power and tube voltage.
Download
Fri Jan 30 2009, 10:38PM
Download Registered Member #561 Joined: Sat Mar 03 2007, 02:46AM
So it's got no numbers or markings at all?
uzzors2k
Fri Jan 30 2009, 10:59PM
Whoops, thanks for the reminder.

It says:

Ritter
CYB
Made in USA

There's also a serial number stamped on the anode: F35182.
rp181
Fri Jan 30 2009, 11:44PM
rp181 Registered Member #1062 Joined: Tue Oct 16 2007, 02:01AM
You can try emailing the company, or finding a similar sized tube.
Also, congratulations on the 1k post =)
Proud Mary
Sat Jan 31 2009, 01:43AM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
Dental X-ray tubes almost always have anode voltages in the range 50kV - 80kV (with 70kV being much the most common) and anode currents of 5 - 10mA, with 10mA being the most common.

Remember that dental X-ray tubes are designed for short exposures - e.g. 1/15th second - and so will rapidly overheat and destroy themselves if run for any length of time at full power.

uzzors2k
Sun Feb 01 2009, 07:43PM
Thanks for the tips. I sent an email to some Ritter repairman, so I'll see if I get an answer. For future refernece, I found some info here on using coolidge tubes of unknown ratings. Link2

W007! 1000 posts!
c4r0
Sun Feb 01 2009, 09:23PM
c4r0 Registered Member #151 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 02:53PM
Hello! cheesey Take a look at these tubes: Link2 Maybe you will find one that looks similar to yours - if it looks similar it should have similar parameters too. You can find also some useful characteristics on that site, and a FAQ section with explanations what each parameter of a tube means: Link2

Harry wrote ...
Remember that dental X-ray tubes are designed for short exposures - e.g. 1/15th second
I've had a broken Orix-70 dental x-ray machine and the control unit had exposure time settings up to 3s or so. But maybe such long times was available only at lower anode current settings, i don't know.
Proud Mary
Mon Feb 02 2009, 02:28AM
The reason dental X-ray tubes have very standard ratings is because of the type of work they do - the amount of radiation that must be absorbed by teeth to produce an image is very standard, as are the legal amount of radiation that may be absorbed by the patient, so you won't find much variation from tube to tube.

Assume that the tube is intended to operate at 70kV/5-10mA and you won't be far wrong.

Do you have the RadPro radiation safety freeware calculator, Uzzors? This will calculate the dose in Sieverts for a given tube at a given range, and the amount of radiation shielding required and so on.

Link2

If you choose the X-ray menu, you can enter 70kV anode volts, and see how increasing the current increases the dose at any given distance, how filters of different metals will reduce it, and how different shielding materials will attenuate the rays.
uzzors2k
Mon Feb 02 2009, 07:36PM
I'll run the tube at low current (1mA range), since I'll be using photo-paper anyway. It will make controlling the exposure time much easier too. I've made a shield calculator using mass attenuation coefficients, so I can use the data at physics.nist.gov. My spreadsheet gives the I/I0 factor, and I have a list of radiation doses so I know what the safe range is. All I need to know is the worst (best shades ) case output from the tube. Does 30-100mSv/hr sound reasonable for a dental x-ray? I found some numbers for x-ray exposure related to medical x-rays, and the average dental x-ray dose is 0.1mSv, per image I assume. Currently I've finished epoxying MOT laminations together into two 3-4cm thick slabs, I'll make exact measurements when the epoxy dries. They should provide more than adequate shielding for 70keV x-rays, and with some distance I'll be safe from backscatter which I doubt is a problem with such low energy.

I have a copy of RadPro, but I'm not sure what some of the inputs mean. Is distance the distance from a pin-point x-ray source to the subject? When I put a tiny number in for the distance the radiation dose is in the order of 1*10^70 mSv/hr! Is that true? It seems the dose approaches an infinite value as the distance approaches 0, regardless of voltage/current. Is the shield placed at the tube or at the subject, or does it matter?

Oh well, assuming 100 mSv/hr exposure rate, and a 3cm iron shield providing near 180 degree protection, the radiation will be well below background radiation levels.
Proud Mary
Tue Feb 03 2009, 01:36AM
RadPro is a well-accepted practical dosimetry application, so does not concern itself with theoretical pin-point sources and infinite numbers.

If you enter 70kV anode voltage and 1mA current, you can rely on RadPro's distance, filter, and shield calculations for all practical purposes with a real world tube such as yours - and see how very few seconds it takes for you to absorb a hazardous dose if you expose your body to the rays at short distances, as I am sure you know.

As for the size of your anode spot, you may image it easily enough by making your own X-ray pinhole camera, if you have what it takes to drill very small diameter holes in a metal sheet. There is a lot about X-ray pin hole cameras on the web to guide you.

Post Script: the best way to control the anode current is by having a variable heater voltage.
1 2 3 4  last

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: