Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
GrantX (34)

Next birthdays
03/30 Adam Horden (39)
03/30 Mr.Warwickshire (23)
03/31 Swedish Coiler (41)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Best Coil for a given capacitor size

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Reaching
Fri Mar 31 2006, 07:18PM Print
Reaching Registered Member #76 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 10:04AM
Hi.
I searched the web for this question but didnt find anything helpful. ok im not a pro in coilguns, but now i want to build a more efficiently 3 stage coilgun. the problem is that i have only three caps with 2700yF 450volts. i heard that people often say "i wound the right coil for this cap size" but what is the right coil, and how can i calculate it?
i want to know the peak current to calculate the wire size, and i want to know the turns and the layers of the coil.
i already wound 4 coils , 5cm in lenght, 1,6mm enammeled copper wire,with 2,4,6 and 8 layers for testing. the coil with 8 layers and 170turns seems to perform very good with one cap at 420volts, but the efficiency is far below 2%, so i want to calculate the coils
can anyone help me with this?
Quantum Singularity
Sat Apr 01 2006, 03:34AM
Quantum Singularity Registered Member #158 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 09:53PM
Well I cannot tell you all the details myself, but as indicated on another thread here titled "need assistance on my first coilgun" there is a link to the magnetic gun club which has all sorts of info and simulators.

Sounds like you have the right idea about testing different number of layers for your coil... sometimes these things take alot of trial-and-error design. However if you wound only 8 layers and thats giving you the best results then chances are you might want to wind more layers and test with more than 8. The only way to know for sure is if you can see the projectile energy rise to a point and then fall again. That peak is obviously were the setup will work best at. If you tried all your windings and its onyl gone up and not back down yet then you probably havent reached that peak. I am no expert myself but these are the few things I have learned. Coil length is determined by projectile length (should be about twice as long), wire diamter is set by cap voltage and ESR values (cant be much more help here, I would be asking those who have used similarly sized caps succesfully) to small wire wil either melt or be to high resistance and too large wire will not create as strong of magnetic field density, the number of layers will set the pulse length and is which is tuned with the cap value and how heavy the projectile is. I cant really give you the forumlas but alot of them are on that link. Good luck and hopefully someone with more reluctance-based coilguns can give you some more advice - that is the type of gun your building right?
Reaching
Sat Apr 01 2006, 01:56PM
yep, reluctance based.
i tried the calculator on the website and wound a new coil with the calculated windings,layers etc. it performs very well, but how can i calculate the number of turns,layer for the second and third stage? is there a rule of thumb to do this, without braincracking myself with alot of formulas? all stages have the same capacitance., cause the projetil accelerates in the first stage and reaches the second with a relatively high velocity, i only have to wind half the winings and on the third stage half the windings again or so?yeah, dont think its so easy mistrust .
Desmogod
Sat Apr 01 2006, 02:09PM
Desmogod Registered Member #139 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 11:01AM
Maybe try calculating the "ideal" using the sims available, then experiment by changing the amount of turns, layers etc.
Keep going in the direction that gives increasing velocity, then stop when it tapers off.
I'm sure it would be specific to your setup though, environmental conditions etc, much like TC's.
Quantum Singularity
Sat Apr 01 2006, 06:43PM
Quantum Singularity Registered Member #158 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 09:53PM
I forgot to consider the fact that each coil will be different and only addressed one... Sounds like you already know whats going on just want a calculator for it. Not sure if theres one out there that will take into consideration inititial velocity (as the only difference that is a given is that the projectile is an initial velocity upon entering the coil) . But if you already built a test coil you should have eveything you need. For example this is what I would do. Build a test coil with enough layers to be sure youve reached the optimal amount for 1 stage. This 'test coil' should have each layer wound so you can test each layer (with a connector for each layer). Once you have determined the best 1st stage coil then build one with those specs. For the second stage then re-use your test coil. Since your using the same caps and same projectile the only thing that really has to change is the number of layers/turns. Already have a test coil so start at a layer less and keep going smaller until you have found the peak velocity. You need to have the electronics done before all the coils because testing it this way means you have to have your trigger/timing circuit and everything so that both stages are firing. Once you found the right number of layers then build a coil to that spec and replace your test coil with it. Same procedure for the third stage, throw you test coil on it and start with the same or one layer less turns and keep going down until you have the max velocity for all 3 stages firing. You could even keep on going with more stages using this procedure. As I have never built a reluctance based cg before I am not sure if its critical if you tune for tha actual # of turns in your coil or just the number of layers (like for example maybe 5 layers isn quite enough but 6 layers is to much). That would take more work if you needed to be that close.
Yohan
Sun Apr 09 2006, 04:28PM
Yohan Registered Member #194 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 07:52PM
Reaching,

Are you familiar with differential equations? The solution of a differential equation is another equation...

I've tried to stress to several people on the forum that, for CG's, the best approach is to use a very large C and trigger with an IGBT so you can avoid the decaying pulse that you have no control over with the SCR.

The equations and resulting waveforms representing the pulse are different between the two triggering schemes. Therefore, the approach to deciding what coils, tpi and gauge to use can vary drastically.

I'm not going to explain both approaches so post what trigger you have chosen and we'll go from there.
Sonny
Sun Apr 09 2006, 07:31PM
Sonny Registered Member #310 Joined: Sun Mar 12 2006, 07:37PM
I agree with Yohan. Go for the IGBT/FET way, that would give you the far best efficiency though i don't really like IGBTs because it's hard to paralell them together. I tried this with 2 IGBTs rated at 1200V 180A peak each with a coil at 3.4 ohms and 300V capacitor charge. After 4-5 shots one of the IGBTs blew up. After that i went for the FET-way and now i'm playing with a 2.3 ohms testing-coil (at the same voltage, 300V) with 2 FETs in paralell rated at 300V and 140A peak each with no problems at all.

Have been shooting 200+ shots and so far no problems at all :)
Reaching
Sun Apr 09 2006, 08:05PM
mhh, no, i got my scrs very cheap and i have a bunch of them. they are ratet for 10kA at 1,2kV, i can short circuit them with a 6kJ cap bank .. its impossible to destroy them. using fets and igbts will end up in burned semis
Sonny
Sun Apr 09 2006, 09:31PM
Sonny Registered Member #310 Joined: Sun Mar 12 2006, 07:37PM
Yes, sure SCRs are alot more easy to build with. The only "hard" part in an SCR based coilgun is to make the coil right. Your capacitors holds 273 joules charged at 450V. I don't really know the efficiency on an SCR based coilgun but it should be maybe ~5% so that would give you ~13 joules of kinetic energy. If you know the weight on your projectile shouldn't one be able to calculate the maximum speed of the projectile then? And if you know that speed you can get an "on-time" for the coil.

Then you can calculate how big current you will need to draw the capacitor to ~0V. Dunno if this really works but it should give you a clue to start with.
rupidust
Mon Apr 10 2006, 03:23AM
rupidust Banned
Registered Member #110 Joined: Fri Feb 10 2006, 12:23AM
Sonny wrote ...

3.4 ohms...and 2.3 ohms testing-coils.

Those are some rather high ohms inductors you made. Are you using thin <= 22 awg wire or more than 12 layers and long coils? At 300v and 2.3 ohms the currents are about 100 amps. I expect no component failures at this current range.

Now as for the best coil for a given capacitor size, that remains to be found by the builder. If you found the best coil for X Farads, this would no longer be best if you decrease or increase charge voltage. Change projectile mass, length, or metallic propertiers, then best coil will have to be remade to accomodate the change. Same is true whether you implement a pulsed naturally commutated system or a forced communtated constant current source, the coil may need to be changed depending on the capacitor voltage at time of discharge.

Pulse width:
The best coil for a given capacitor size is the one where when the capacitor is discharged and accelerates a load, the pulse width is approximately equal to what you wanted it to be and the magnetic force exerted on the load is approximately equal to what you wanted it to be. A coil might have the correct pulse length as desired but yet not exert sufficient force on the load due to a low inductance value, 1 layer and 5 windings for example. As for pulse width, say the force on the projectile exerted is satisfied, but the pulse width is longer than desired, so long that the projectile is slowed down or oscillates. Proper force alone without proper pulse width would then be meaningless.

Pulse Shape:
The best coil for a given capacitor size is the one where when the capacitor is discharged and accelerates a load, the pulse shape is approximately equal to what you wanted it to be. For a forced commutation system (on/off) controlling a constance current source (excess capacitance) the waveform should be as horizontal as possible or as designed. If the waveform significantly drops as it approaches the end of the pulse width, then the coil needs to be altered or the capacitor size (Farads) need to be increased, which negates the whole "Given capacitor size" idea.

Load constraint:
The best coil for a given capacitor size is the one where when the capacitor is discharged and accelerates a constant load, the dynamic pulse width and pulse shape requirements are satisfied. A coil may actually produce the correct pulse width and shape for an unloaded (dry fire) discharge. However, the coil's inductance does dynamically change when in close proximaty to a metallic object, thereby effecting pulse width and shape, and consequently demoting the coil from the rank of best. Another example of load constraint is to have the best coil for a 5 gram slug during experimentation but not have the best coil for a finally decided same 5 gram mass slug but with a different diameter, length, or metallic property.

Since the coil alone is not the only component effecting the end result, a better question is "What is the best arrangement for a given Joules and Velocity using a fixed capacitance?"

1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: