Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
gentoo_daemon (42)

Next birthdays
04/21 kilovolt (49)
04/21 wannabegeekTC (49)
04/21 Elijah (33)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Parallel coil-layers?

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
mogallin
Thu Jan 01 2009, 06:20PM Print
mogallin Registered Member #1883 Joined: Thu Dec 25 2008, 01:58PM
Having too much spare time atm and being too bored here comes another thing i've been thinking about;

Longer wire gives higher inductance, right?

Higher inductance gives longer discharge-time, right?

So connecting each layer in a coil in parallel would decrease the inductance and thereby the discharge time?

If so, what may be the problems with this?
Marauder709
Thu Jan 01 2009, 07:33PM
Marauder709 Registered Member #1895 Joined: Thu Jan 01 2009, 03:12AM
The discharge time would decrease but not because of any change in inductance. If you couple coils in parallel with the caps you can drastically reduce resistance of the circuit. If you reduce the resistance you increase your circuits frequency and thereby decrease the pulse length.

Theoretically you could hook up every single turn in parallel but you pulse would would me unbelievably short and the feild might not "grab" the projectile for long enough.

Self induction on the other hand is based on the coil's overall geometry, not how it is electrically hooked up.
mogallin
Thu Jan 01 2009, 07:43PM
mogallin Registered Member #1883 Joined: Thu Dec 25 2008, 01:58PM
ok. Thanks.
badastronaut
Thu Jan 01 2009, 09:48PM
badastronaut Registered Member #222 Joined: Mon Feb 20 2006, 05:49PM
If you connected each layer in the coil in parallel, you'll end up with lower inductance. Two in parallel = half the inductance.

This is equivalent to using thicker wire. No free lunches lulz.

Inductors add in series and parallel just like resistors. It matters how they are connected.
Marauder709
Thu Jan 01 2009, 10:08PM
The quantitative definition of self inductance for a solenoid is: (N^2*u*A)/l (not exactly but close enough)

There is no I or B or R or any other quantity that is related to how the circuit is wired. You may be right though, I hadn't considered that inductors add in series. It would be interesting to see how the maths work out on that.
uzzors2k
Thu Jan 01 2009, 11:19PM
uzzors2k Registered Member #95 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:57PM
Marauder709 wrote ...

If you reduce the resistance you increase your circuits frequency and thereby decrease the pulse length.

Not quite. Resistance has no impact of the frequency of an LCR circuit, just the damping of it. Lower resistance will cause the current to swing at a higher amplitude and take longer to die out. This isn't necessarily good in a coil gun since the negative pulse will be clamped wasting all of that energy. Ideally you want a critically damped LCR circuit, consisting of one pulse.
badastronaut
Fri Jan 02 2009, 04:05AM
I think that is the ideal solenoid inductance equation and is a gross oversimplification of the problem. It is not the definition of inductance. The definition of inductance is the ratio of the voltage change to the rate of change of current through the inductor. It is also the ratio of flux to current.

In the case of the solenoid equation that you have posted, the number of turns is the effective number of turns that are in series. The ones in parallel won't count. It basically says how dense the number of turns are.
Marauder709
Fri Jan 02 2009, 06:58AM
I don't think its a gross oversimplification. It's certainly the easiest way of calculating self inductance.

The maths, as far as I can tell work out like this:
-L(di/dt) = (cEMF). L is constant for a given circuit, no matter how you wire it. di/dt however does change quite drastically depending on the wiring.

When they say that inductance adds in series it assumes that the inductors have separate fluxes, separate magnetic fields. In mogallin's case however, the inductors share the same magnetic feild and thus must be treated as a single inductor. If you want quantitative proof: cEMF = -N(dphi/dt) where N is the number of turns through which the flux, phi, passes. Because the flux passes through all the turns they must all be counted as a single inductor.
blackgrunge
Fri Jan 02 2009, 06:49PM
blackgrunge Registered Member #1889 Joined: Mon Dec 29 2008, 07:36AM
Its not a gross simplification at all. It works with low voltage models such as 24v capacitor banks EXTREMELY well. I've done it my self to lower inductance and increase magnetic field strength. It also cuts back on resistance significantly (R= r^-1 + r^-1.....)

Its a great concept that hasn't been used all that often but I've experimented with it and it yields great results at lower voltages. It becomes uncontrollable at higher voltages because the discharge time plummets and you end up with a minuscule discharge time that become difficult to work with. In a way inductance is what helps people work with higher voltages and ultimately higher energy levels.

If anyone has the money or owns one, a car audio capacitor works excellent using this approach and if you build the coils as mentioned then you will see some great results working with those lover voltages. The bonus of using lower voltages with this method is that you can gain capacitance very fast. When I built this setup I put together a 6 stage in about 3 days because there was no need for high power SCRs, power MOSFETs did just fine. The one 1.2 Farad capacitor @24v served as a great central power supply for the coils.
badastronaut
Fri Jan 02 2009, 08:57PM
That's what I meant, putting the layers in parallel will reduce the inductance, just as you have said.

You're only increasing the magnetic field strength because you are increasing the peak current. Buy an LCR meter and measure it yourself. Or if you have a good voltmeter and a function generator, you can use phasor analysis to find the change in inductance.
1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: