Rustycan (30)
H8erade (28)
Flood_of_SYNs (41)

Next birthdays
04/17 KaV (34)
04/17 Dave_P (38)
04/18 David.Lightman (54)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Plasma speaker - flyback

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Dr. H.
Sun Dec 21 2008, 08:12AM Print
Dr. H. Registered Member #931 Joined: Mon Jul 30 2007, 05:25PM
Good guys

heres is yet ANOTHER plasma speaker smile

The circuit - from here Link2
Thank you Dr. Kilovolt. I have made some changes to the circuit (mainly add filters and add a GDT driver).

For the flyback - I've tested a total of 6, and it turned out that an old bulgarian AC flyback - sounded best.
Power consumption - around 120W, the spark can be extended to around 3.5sm and it easily starts at 2.5sm. At lower frequencyes the spark increases up to 5 - 5.5sm but it sufferes from sound quallity ... badly.

Aboud the sound - I am trully amazed how well that thing sounds ... it sounds better than my laptop ( just weaker and it can't do the low freq range ... well)

here some pics - what do you think ?

Cheers Dr. H. smile
1229847165 931 FT0 Pic 5993

1229847165 931 FT0 Pic 5996

1229847165 931 FT0 Pic 5997

1229847165 931 FT0 Pic 6000
flannelhead
Sun Dec 21 2008, 10:37AM
flannelhead Registered Member #952 Joined: Mon Aug 13 2007, 11:07AM
That's a very nice and compact setup. Did you take those pics with flash? It makes the arc look pretty strange in the pictures.
Dr. H.
Sun Dec 21 2008, 03:03PM
Good day sir

Yep - the pics were taken with flash, but in reallyty the arc isn't too different than that - it is yelow (what you see on the pic) with just a thin, barely visible, purple spark in the flame. The two tips of the tungsten electrodes are glowin in a very beautifull purple color (as it can be seen from the pics).

Cheers smile
aonomus
Sun Dec 21 2008, 05:08PM
aonomus Registered Member #1497 Joined: Thu May 22 2008, 05:24AM
I've always wondered if the distortion whenever plasma speakers or audio modulated TC's attempt to play low frequency (sounds like sputtering) could be removed by using a lowpass filter so only mid-high plays and overall sound quality improves?
Hon1nbo
Sun Dec 21 2008, 09:20PM
Hon1nbo Registered Member #902 Joined: Sun Jul 15 2007, 08:17PM
in that schematic, is the resistor below the 2.2K one (in the top image) a variable resistor connected like shown??? or is that an error?
I plan to put one of these together... with some modifications ^_0
Dr. Dark Current
Sun Dec 21 2008, 10:22PM
Dr. Dark Current Registered Member #152 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 03:36PM
Dr. H, nice speaker, cool to see someone build the circuit and it actually working cheesey

DaJJHman wrote ...

in that schematic, is the resistor below the 2.2K one (in the top image) a variable resistor connected like shown??? or is that an error?
It is a standard "trimmer". They usually (well, almost always smile ) have 3 legs, it really does not matter if you leave the 3rd leg floating or not, but for some reason I was in a strange mood and drew it the way I did (this is how it was drawn in old books in our country)

The obvious improvement is the use of gate drivers. I don't see any other modifications which could help.

Dr. H.
Sun Dec 21 2008, 10:34PM
Good day guys

aonomus wrote ...

I've always wondered if the distortion whenever plasma speakers or audio modulated TC's attempt to play low frequency (sounds like sputtering) could be removed by using a lowpass filter so only mid-high plays and overall sound quality improves?

That is what I am also doing - a very basic first order high pas filter to get ride of the "low" freqs. About the values ... don't ask me - it was a tryal and error - and in the end I have a bunch of caps and resistors on the downside of the board ill

Dr. Kilovolt -> The obvious improvement is the use of gate drivers. I don't see any other modifications which could help.

Well that is what I also observed - without the drive chips, I coudn't go higher than 30-40khz - the fets were heating badly (the gate laveform was anything but good ) ... sooo adding the UCC now I am happily runing at 110khz and the fets are not heating at all, when no sound is played - ohh and that higher freq really makes a difference in the sound smile

Cheers
Hon1nbo
Mon Dec 22 2008, 02:31AM
Hon1nbo Registered Member #902 Joined: Sun Jul 15 2007, 08:17PM
Dr. Kilovolt wrote ...

Dr. H, nice speaker, cool to see someone build the circuit and it actually working cheesey

DaJJHman wrote ...

It is a standard "trimmer". They usually (well, almost always smile ) have 3 legs, it really does not matter if you leave the 3rd leg floating or not, but for some reason I was in a strange mood and drew it the way I did (this is how it was drawn in old books in our country)

The obvious improvement is the use of gate drivers. I don't see any other modifications which could help.

yeah I know what they are, it is just that the image in the schematic looked kinda weird and I thought it might have been something else...
anyways, the mods I have planned are not of a serious design nature, but rather of a, how should I put this without giving everything away, selection of one component and using it to it's full potential?
Dr. Dark Current
Mon Dec 22 2008, 08:07AM
Dr. Dark Current Registered Member #152 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 03:36PM
Dr. H. wrote ...

Well that is what I also observed - without the drive chips, I coudn't go higher than 30-40khz - the fets were heating badly (the gate laveform was anything but good ) ... sooo adding the UCC now I am happily runing at 110khz and the fets are not heating at all, when no sound is played - ohh and that higher freq really makes a difference in the sound smile
Hmm, thats strange, it ran fine for me without the gate drivers just the gate waveform was a bit slow (but still good and resembled a square wave). Did you have the clamping diodes on the output?

Dr. H.
Mon Dec 22 2008, 10:59AM
Good day sir

Dr. Kilovolt wrote ...

Hmm, thats strange, it ran fine for me without the gate drivers just the gate waveform was a bit slow (but still good and resembled a square wave). Did you have the clamping diodes on the output?

Yep - I've putted them (underneath the board if you are wondering where they are tongue).
Hey - this might be due to the IC I've used - there are many different manufacturers, and where I live and what the quallyty of parts is here - I wouldn't be surprised if it was made in some chinasee basement mistrust

Soo no problem if it doesn't work fine for me

But I reccomend drive chips - they will make the waveform much cleaner.

Cheers
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: