Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
GrantX (34)

Next birthdays
03/30 Adam Horden (39)
03/30 Mr.Warwickshire (23)
03/31 Swedish Coiler (41)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

First SSTC's first light! What tweaks/refinements are possible?

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
aonomus
Sun Sept 28 2008, 03:50AM Print
aonomus Registered Member #1497 Joined: Thu May 22 2008, 05:24AM
For the last 3 weeks I've been on and off building Steve Ward's Mini SSTC5

Right, so after a frustrating day of accidentally blowing my halfbridge mosfets, I fixed the problem (one loose wire from the GDT = avalanching power through one mosfet that fails as a short, avalanching through the other mosfet), and ran my SSTC from 30VDC off of a benchtop power supply.

Anyways, my questions are how to give this project its finishing touches, more specifically a good breakout point ontop (apparently galvanized screws and solder do not work), and also if there is a way to prevent corrona from forming on the feedback antenna? Any other finishing touches that would either improve performance or just make it look cooler? I'll take more photos tomorrow when there is decent lighting, but the body of the SSTC is made from MDF and dimensional lumber.

From the pictures below, you can see that:
1. I do get breakout, however I am also loosing a crapton of energy through the little bend where the wire goes onto the plexi, I will varnish that several times to fix that problem.
2. You can see just *slightly* some corrona forming on the feedback antenna, its some scrap enameled magnet wire from a unwound torroid, will extra varnish/insulation fix this? What happens if I get a full fledged strike to the antenna?

IMG 0583
(Click the photo, you won't be able to see the feedback antenna's corrona at this size)

IMG 0585
MRacerxdl
Sun Sept 28 2008, 05:37PM
MRacerxdl Registered Member #989 Joined: Sat Sept 08 2007, 02:15AM
If you use the Clamp diodes, its not a problem the corona at Antenna, once, when I was testing it opened an arc between the top of load and the antenna, nothing happens, only the wire gets burned.

The better thing to stop corona from other points is getting a topload with a breakpoint, not direct a breakpoint. Also topload increase sparks.
uzzors2k
Sun Sept 28 2008, 07:05PM
uzzors2k Registered Member #95 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:57PM
Making a little loop on the end of the antenna and moving it further away should decrease the amount of corona. For your next coil bring the secondary wire in through the side of the former, and cover the bend with lots of epoxy.
aonomus
Mon Sept 29 2008, 12:00PM
Topload and breakout point blew another set of MOSFETs + fuse. I think I'll have to adjust the primary to have a longer off time and shorter on time....
MRacerxdl
Mon Sept 29 2008, 10:50PM
That can be much current consuming, how much turns have your primary?
I forgot to mention, that topload also increases the current.
uzzors2k
Tue Sept 30 2008, 12:25PM
uzzors2k Registered Member #95 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:57PM
aonomus wrote ...

I think I'll have to adjust the primary to have a longer off time and shorter on time....

? Do you mean the interrupter or actual primary? By tuning the primary you can set the coil to draw pretty much any current at any voltage.
aonomus
Tue Sept 30 2008, 08:07PM
Following some discussion on IRC about what things I could do to reduce the coronna on the wire leading up to the breakout point, Steve McConner suggested I use a open ring of copper pipe (ie: a circle with a small gap) and place it just above the offending point where more breakout likes to occur. Anyone have any thoughts on this? My only fear is that adding the copper pipe (in theory the copper pipe is smooth enough to prevent breakout, so all the energy continues onto the breakout point at the top) will act like a topload itself, and then cause another halfbridge failure.

Also, a more powerful example of the broken insulation is seen here:
IMG 0588

Pushing the SSTC to higher levels with a breakout point works, I only need to be conservative as to how high a voltage I can apply to the primary (before MOSFET breakdown). What I've noticed is that running off a benchtop power supply that can only produce 30VDC, the energy gets recycled back into the smoothing cap where I've seen it run up to 40VDC, and theoretically with my variac's range of 135V max, I might exceed the 200VDC rating of the MOSFETs (which might have been the cause of some failure early on).
CT2
Tue Sept 30 2008, 09:24PM
CT2 Registered Member #180 Joined: Thu Feb 16 2006, 02:12AM
I would suggest the copper ring, I did the exact same thing for my coil and it worked perfectly. It will have some "topload" like behavior but it shouldn't destroy your bridge. If you are getting too much current try adding more turns to your primary, this will lower the current, as you increase the voltage you will most likely HAVE to do this. I would recomend not running it without that copper ring steve suggested, the breakout at the point where the wire bends is hot stuff, it will either burn your wire or melt your coil form... bad stuff.

EDIT
This is how I did my ring Link2 or Link2 . The first one is just 14 AWG wire bent into a ring, the second one uses copper pipe.
MRacerxdl
Tue Sept 30 2008, 10:21PM
If your mosfets are for 200V, you can run perfectly a 127 Mains retified, I was runned IRFP250 direct from mains, at Full Wave Smoothed Supply (150-170VDC) it doesnt make anything to the mosfets.
aonomus
Wed Oct 01 2008, 05:34AM
So after blowing a total of 10 (!!!) IRFP250N's, I tried replacing them with the MTW32N20E (more current, slightly slower) and changing the 555 to give a 10 uS on time, 20 uS off time pulse. With the slower pulse and slightly better MOSFET I've gotten some more power out of the SSTC (read: I can run a topload with enough power to cause the TV nearby to turn itself on) without blowing anything up (yet).

The one major recommendation I can give to anyone making their first SSTC: use panelmount breakers! (not the pushbutton type, actual toggle type which have both the bimetallic strip for slight overcurrent, and magnetic trip for spike/short overcurrent). While I am doing bad things by bypassing the fuse in my variac (fast blow is too fast for the breaker to trip), the time delay between fuse and breaker is negligible so long as I don't trip it too often.

Major variations from Steve Ward's design:
Secondary: 4" diam (instead of 4.5")
MOSFETs: MTW32N20E currently
Tank caps: 2x 1uF 1000V caps ($2 electronics goldmine) instead of 0.68uF

Edit: Note that most of the spark photos are taken at low power (20-30%) because it was about 1AM and I'm assuming people mind the noise, as well as the fact that TV's turn themseves on in this things presence...
Edit 2: I totally used seconds instead of microseconds.... a 10second pulse would fry any mosfets and blow the breaker yet again.

Photos:
IMG 0602

IMG 0603

IMG 0604

Burning steel wool
IMG 0596

IMG 0597

Photoflash tube from a camera, overheats somewhat quickly so not recommended for prolonged usage
IMG 0598

Aluminum foil wrapped over the breakout point, as it melts the point becomes rounded and breakout becomes harder. This eventually burned out (yet another) set of MOSFETs
IMG 0601
1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: