All today's birthdays', congrats!
cbfull (52)
Steve Ward (39)

Next birthdays
05/19 cbfull (52)
05/19 Steve Ward (39)
05/20 Vaxian (17)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

SCR I.D.? [Moved from EM Projectile board]

Move Thread LAN_403
Quantum Singularity
Wed Mar 22 2006, 12:50AM
Quantum Singularity Registered Member #158 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 09:53PM
I have a small box of scr's given to me for my coilgun project a few years back that I havent used yet. I would like to use them if possible so I went through all my boxes and found em. The problem is I dont have any data on them and cannot find any online either. They are I beleive what is a TO-94 package (1 heavy screw mount stud, 1 heavy gauge lead, 2 small guage leads). They are labeled NL-1130-008.

There was also a note in the box to the original recipient (my vocational electronics instructor) that states "we are going to offer the C164M part as a replacement for the old 1130-008. This is a little overkill but will be a better part. The C164M are in stock and $58.90 per piece." Maybe this was for future reference becuase the part# matches the fore-mentioned 1130-008. I did find the specs on the C164M however, it is 600V, 110A, TO-94, TQ=10.

I am hoping what I got will hold up to about a few hundred joules ~400V per stage. I figure what I am asking probably no one knows but I figure might as well try and ask.

P.S. Can SCR's be paralleled for increased current pulse capability?

[Mod edit: moved from EM projectile board. It's about SCRs, not projectile accelerators.]
Wilson
Wed Mar 22 2006, 02:47AM
Wilson Registered Member #78 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 11:27AM
yeah, of couse they can. Although they should be similar SCRs so one doesn't switch on first and hog all the current. A seperate gate resistor on each SCR would also help with the current balancing i'm told.
teravolt
Wed Mar 22 2006, 06:28AM
teravolt Registered Member #195 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 08:27PM
If he C164M is a resonable replacement then I would go with it. Thease probly can handle up to 500 amps PEAK witch might be in the specs as a peak rateing. If you want to parellel them they should have a half an ohm or so in each anode and they have to be fired at the same time. The best way would be try it and bring the voltage on your caps up slowly. If you had a low indutance resistor say .1ohm in the collector and a o-scope you make a curent veiwing resistor. This resistor could be 10 1 ohm carbon compisition or metal film resistors in prallel. good luck.
Quantum Singularity
Wed Mar 22 2006, 07:08PM
Quantum Singularity Registered Member #158 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 09:53PM
I am not getting any C164M I already have a bunch of the 1130-008 SCR's. I was just saying they should be similar according to the info. What I am trying to do is identify and come up with a spec sheet on the ones I have. My research to that end has come up with nothing so I figured I'd post it just incase someone here has used/seed this scr before or maybe has some more references than I do.

About paralleling them... I know the safest way to parallel anything is to put a small resistor in series with each device. Is .1ohms too high though? If I was actually pulsing say 500A I would think .1 might dissapate quite a bit of power. But then again there needs to be enough resistance there to force the system to roughly balance. Could I go lower, like .05?

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: