All today's birthdays', congrats!
Bead (41)
Fumeaux (25)

Next birthdays
04/28 Steve Conner (46)
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Suitable electrolytics?

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Quantum Singularity
Tue Mar 21 2006, 06:17AM Print
Quantum Singularity Registered Member #158 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 09:53PM
I have been browsing the net in search of some caps so I can start experimenting on coilguns. Seems about the only cheap-ish caps I have come accross are the sprauge powerlytic 36DX. I have been looking at the 450V models, 2,000uf-4,700uf are commonly available. Depending on circuit parameters I will most likely parallel a few for each stage.

Does anyone have any knowledge on how well the 36DX caps will perform? And are there IGBT's available that will hold up to a bank of a few of these in parallel charged around 400V?
dan
Tue Mar 21 2006, 06:45AM
dan Registered Member #223 Joined: Mon Feb 20 2006, 06:42PM
I have an old sprague capacitor 36DY, but it's rated for 5,600uF at 450V and it has 1/2'' terminals. Generally you can tell by the size of the terminals if they are pulse capacitors.. the bigger they are the better since it will lower the ESR and ESL. As for what type of IGBT that would depend on the peak current it's going to see.. Remeber IGBT do not handle as much peak current as SCR's. So if you are going to have a kJ per stage I would suggest a nice big IGBT brick rated for at least 300A or more.
Quantum Singularity
Tue Mar 21 2006, 10:25PM
The sprauge 36DX and every other cap I have ever seen 2,000uF or more at 450V all have screw terminals so that doesnt really tell me much. Infact, most photo-flash caps do not have screw terminals and I have seen some decent coilguns with photoflash caps. I think I am just going to get whatever gives me the most J/$. And I have seen the 36DX's refered to as being one of the cheapest large value 450V electrolytics available.

Here is another question that might impact what I buy... If I were planning on paralleling a bunch of caps, say 10 2,000uF caps to give me 20,000uF bank total should I only parallel matching caps? In that case I would want to buy several of the same caps versus buying a couple here and there that are cheap? But then again most electrlytics do vary from cap to cap even in the same models (+/- 20%, etc.).

Here are the Spague's I was talking about:
36dx
Unless someone says these are not good caps I will probably be getting them so speak now...
FastMHz
Tue Mar 21 2006, 10:48PM
FastMHz Registered Member #179 Joined: Thu Feb 16 2006, 02:08AM
Those caps should work...they are similar to what I'm using on my RingRocket launcher, though mine are actually only 350v @ 3600uf. The terminals on the ones in your pic look smaller than mine though, so maybe they aren't designed for as much current.

Even though you can parallel different ones, I'd only parallel identical ones to keep losses at a minimum.
Marko
Tue Mar 21 2006, 10:57PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
That sprague powerlitics are really most seen caps, even I in my country could get some of them.

These are standard inverter grade but they shown to be good in pulse applications as well, if you can get them cheaply its worth, unless you run in some good pulse non-electrolytic cap.
dan
Wed Mar 22 2006, 05:16AM
You can tell a lot from the terminals. Thoes Capacitors use very small screws indicating that they a not really designed for pulse currents. This shouldn't really be a problem since you will be using multipe in parallel. Real pulse grade electrolitics have huge terminals. (My powerlytic has 5/8'' round contact area with 1/4'' NC bolts.) Also photo flash capacitors are also not really pulse capacitors. Most manufactures use regular inverter grade capacitors. Excpecially the ones used in disposble cameras since they only have to survive a few shots. Also since you say thay are 'cheapest' just solidifys the fact they are inverter Grade Capacitors. Just keep in mind that Since these are not real pulse capacitors the very large forces on the plates durring discharge will cause their capacitance & ESL to shift over time. However I am not saying they don't work because obviously they do. In fact I'm sure they will work great but will not be optimum. I'm also not saying that the advatages of using pulse grade caps justifies their extra cost.

1143004571 223 FT5054 Terminals
Quantum Singularity
Wed Mar 22 2006, 07:22PM
The caps in my question are 'computer grade' and I was under the assumption that inverter grade is actually better (1 step down from pulse grade). I would rather get pulse grade stuff but in most of my searching I can barely find any that are listed as such, and out of those few I do find they are definately not 'good deals'. And unfortunately alot of caps listed online dont say how big the screw terminals are. Sometimes you can tell in the picture and sometimes you cant.

Maybe I'll hold of until I can find some that will be better. Havent decided yet. Most of the lytics I have found on ebay that I have considered (like the sprague 36DX) are going for around 40-50J per dollar for the cheapest ones.
WaveRider
Thu Mar 23 2006, 12:05PM
WaveRider Registered Member #29 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 09:00AM
I find that computer grade caps work well. The low ESR and high ripple current capacity generally makes for a good CG cap. I have never had one fail (so far)...
dan
Thu Mar 23 2006, 12:44PM
hmm.. I was under the impression that computer grade and inverter grade ment pretty much the same thing. The only difference being that computer grade capacitors come from computer PSUs.. and I have never seen more then a 560uF @ 400V capacitor inside of a PC PSU..
WaveRider
Fri Mar 24 2006, 08:51AM
WaveRider Registered Member #29 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 09:00AM
Computer-grade caps are those fat caps with the large screw terminals.. Generally, they are (were) found in those massive mainframe PSUs. The caps found in PC PSUs are not the same (and are often crap caps...the manufacturers use the cheapest ones that still function...for a few years, at least). I use 3 proper 10000uF 100V computer grade caps per stage in my coilgun and they work very well..
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: