Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

saturable reactor from three-phase reactor ?

Move Thread LAN_403
Tiberius
Thu May 15 2008, 07:30PM
Tiberius Registered Member #1484 Joined: Wed May 14 2008, 03:24PM
On the surface it appears to me that a three-phase reactor with a three-leg core would be a good start for a saturable reactor -- remove the center winding and rewind for control, while the two remaining phase windings become the load windings.

Would a three-phase reactor function as a saturable reactor if given this treatment?

Where can I find more information about the design and operating characteristics (input volts vs output reactance, rise/fall times, load coil turns to control coil turns) of a saturable reactor?
Steve Conner
Fri May 16 2008, 09:14AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
1. Probably, although a saturable reactor shouldn't have an air gap, and a line reactor probably will, so you'll need to get rid of the air gap. You want it to saturate, and the gap will stop it from doing so.

2. Mostly trial and error, although googling never hurt anyone.

As a starting point, the load windings should have about the same number of turns as if you were making a transformer to run off the same line voltage. If you used fewer turns, the reactor would saturate and let power through even before you started applying power to the control winding.

I don't know how to calculate the number of turns and current needed for the control winding, but I suspect it has to do with an ampere-turn balance. So if your control winding had the same number of turns as your load winding, the output current may be roughly equal to the control current. This is why saturable reactors usually have a control winding with lots of turns of fine wire: to avoid the need for a low-voltage, high-current control supply.

Bear in mind that the saturable reactor is a non-linear device, and probably (though I haven't got proof of this) works more like a phase-angle lamp dimmer than an actual variable inductor.
Tiberius
Mon May 19 2008, 04:37PM
Tiberius Registered Member #1484 Joined: Wed May 14 2008, 03:24PM
So I've thought about this some more and discovered the obvious contradiction. There will be no reactor with reasonably high current windings *and* a high impedance as it would have no need for high current windings.

It looks like I'm going to have to rewind the load coils as well, and right now I'm looking for a target of 1H inductance across the two windings. This is to limit load current to around 600mA at an input of 240V, limiting a 60:1 step-up transformer to a theoretically non-lethal 10mA on the output.

I've been playing with some numbers to get an approximate idea of how many turns I'm going to need using this little calculator here: Link2

This calculator is suggesting that 11 turns of #2 AWG (diameter 0.003272) on a 4" by 4" square core with relative permeability 40000 (the figure I've found for silicon steel/"electrical" steel) yields an approximately 1H inductance. If I must maintain a volts-turns ratio to prevent saturation it seems that the inductance will be *significantly* greater than the minimum required to achieve limiting of 600mA in the scenario above. Approximating the volts-turn ratio as 1 results in a calculated inductance of nearly 500H! Can these figures possibly be accurate?
Dr. Dark Current
Mon May 19 2008, 04:51PM
Dr. Dark Current Registered Member #152 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 03:36PM
You must take care not to saturate the core by the load winding itself, 11 turns will saturate it at 240V for sure.
If your core is 4" by 4" (this is the 'leg' size right?), then I would guess something like 2-3V/turn to be the maximum volt per turn voltage (so you'll need some 80-120 turns maybe).

Dago
Mon May 19 2008, 05:00PM
Dago Registered Member #538 Joined: Sun Feb 18 2007, 08:33PM
Tiberius wrote ...

This calculator is suggesting that 11 turns of #2 AWG (diameter 0.003272) on a 4" by 4" square core with relative permeability 40000 (the figure I've found for silicon steel/"electrical" steel) yields an approximately 1H inductance. If I must maintain a volts-turns ratio to prevent saturation it seems that the inductance will be *significantly* greater than the minimum required to achieve limiting of 600mA in the scenario above. Approximating the volts-turn ratio as 1 results in a calculated inductance of nearly 500H! Can these figures possibly be accurate?

I'm fairly sure something is wrong with your calculation, 11 turns cant in any way yield 1H of inductance with your core. More like hundreds if not even thousands of turns are required for 1H.
Steve Conner
Mon May 19 2008, 10:54PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Tiberius wrote ...

So I've thought about this some more and discovered the obvious contradiction. There will be no reactor with reasonably high current windings *and* a high impedance as it would have no need for high current windings.

That's why you'll need to take the core of a line reactor apart and reassemble it without the air gap, like I said.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: