Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
uzzors2k (35)

Next birthdays
03/29 GrantX (34)
03/30 Adam Horden (39)
03/30 Mr.Warwickshire (23)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Cheaper induction CG?

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
GimpyJoe
Tue Mar 14 2006, 08:04PM Print
GimpyJoe Registered Member #316 Joined: Mon Mar 13 2006, 01:30PM
I'm really impressed with the speeds people are getting with these induction CG's and I'm hoping to put one together myself since my local hamfest is coming up in a week and I can get some parts. The trouble is that large pulse caps are expensive and hard to find. My question is: would it be possible to use one pulse capacitor firing multiple times and charge the pulse cap with those cheap surplus energy storage caps? The storage cap would charge the pulse cap through an inductor. Does this sound like it would work?
pulslaser
Tue Mar 14 2006, 11:00PM
pulslaser Registered Member #156 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 07:04PM
Hi,
the caps I used for my last coilgun aren't real pulscaps although they work very well in this application. I think caps which are used in the powersupply of high power shortwave amplifiers should work as well, maybe you will find on this hamfest.
I'm think your idea is a bit difficulte to realize, you have to recharge the puls caps in a short time, some hundert mikroseconds, unless you make the distance between the coils very long, and I' think the aktive spark gap will not quench in this short time to allow recharge. So you have to use quenched spark gaps or hydrogen thyratrons for the switches
But on the other hand it would be an interesting experiment to try
Quantum Singularity
Wed Mar 15 2006, 05:52AM
Quantum Singularity Registered Member #158 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 09:53PM
Hamfests are a great source for stuff. Maybe I am spoiled though because I have only gone to the Dayton Hamfest (in Ohio) and if I am not mistaken its the biggest one in the U.S. HV pulse caps are still pretty rare though, but my first year there I got 2 HV caps that were 10kV 4uF for $10. They guy was selling them cheap because they have PCB's in them and there is not a whole lot of demand for these type of caps. I am not too worried about pcb's so long as they dont leak and I take certain precautions. It was a great way to start of the hobby cheap. I scored several used NST's for free from local neon sign shop (asked for donation for college project) and some HV diodes for $2 each mailorder. I wrapped coils out of regular household wire (14awg-8awg) and used a simple spark gap out of 2 bolts. For under $20 I was flinging disks and copper rings in the air cheesey
Plasmaniac
Wed Mar 15 2006, 02:51PM
Plasmaniac Registered Member #206 Joined: Sat Feb 18 2006, 03:17PM
I scored this cap for only 5€ on a hamfest:

Cap New

Also, my railgun caps (15x2200µF 400V) are from an other hamfest some time ago: 2DM (1€) each.

So if you have some luck and/or connections to some guys that go there every month, you can get really cool stuff on hamfest tongue

I use non-pulse-rated caps in my induction coilgun, also. If you can't find some HV caps, you can make a electrolytic capbank, just like FastMHz.

[Edit: Fixed oversized picture]
Dr. Shark
Wed Mar 15 2006, 03:34PM
Dr. Shark Registered Member #75 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 09:30AM
I suppose some success could be achieved with microwave caps, if they are overdriven hard, like Steve Ward does it.
Or you could try the Plate/Al-foil cap that is described in another thread. It could give you the required energy, however the impedance would be hard to match due to the absurdly high voltage (40kV).
GimpyJoe
Wed Mar 15 2006, 10:44PM
I've seen the ring launchers, but the reason I want to recharge the cap is to use a multistage design like Pulslaser's.

Yeah, I'm hoping to find some good deals, but as far as I know there are only two or three hamfests in the Atlanta area each year frown
mike0t4ever
Thu Mar 16 2006, 06:08PM
mike0t4ever Registered Member #321 Joined: Wed Mar 15 2006, 03:33AM
you mean to use one cap to be used for firing multiple stages?

and recharged in between the firing of each stage?

just think of it this way:
if you rechage the cap in such a short time the pulse energy going in is equal (assuming no losses) as the energy that you will be dumping into the coil.
which would mean that the cap charger would be capable of being connected directly to the coil.
now how do you build such a charger? most likely with caps (unless you have some knowledge of compulsators or similar devices)
GimpyJoe
Thu Mar 16 2006, 07:03PM
That's exactly what I said in my first post cheesey
A nice pulse-rated cap is charged multiple times by energy storage caps.
Quantum Singularity
Thu Mar 16 2006, 09:30PM
Quantum Singularity Registered Member #158 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 09:53PM
Funky, I think what Mike is trying to say is if you can recharge your caps fast enough between firing, then you can just use your 'recharging circuit' to pulse the coils directly. The time between each coil firing isnt much longer than the pulse is, it can even be shorter. Unless you space your coils out about like 20 feet or something, your charger would have to pulse just as fast as your caps the drive the coils. Even spaced out that far you still talking a charge time in the millisecond range or so. So what you propose probably would give much if any benefit and make it alot more complicated. Just look at the graph that pulslaser put in his post "Amateur coil gun approach sound barrier" and youll see just how tight the pusles are. I might be missing something here though, if I am please key me in. wink

P.S. If you are merely trying to avoid having to buy multiple caps for multiple stages then you can probably use a lower voltage and a switching device that can be shut off like IGBT. That way you only fire a portion of the caps energy during each stage. For example if you can get a cap that holds 1000 joules, and trigger quick pulses around 250J net, then you could run 4 stages. This is a very simplistic example though. Good luck.

P.S.S. As many have pointed out in these forums you dont have to have pulse caps. Many have done well with electrlytic banks. If you can get something cheap enough that you dont care if you eventualy ruin it, then try it!
GimpyJoe
Thu Mar 16 2006, 11:26PM
Thanks! I didn't realize the time the coil and cap spend ringing down was so long compared to the charging time. I guess I'll just have to see what I can find at the hamfest.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: