Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/29 Zonalklism (33)
05/29 Dr Hankenstein (67)
05/30 Quantum Singularity (46)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

New CW

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Mates
Sat Mar 08 2008, 10:58PM Print
Mates Registered Member #1025 Joined: Sun Sept 23 2007, 07:53PM
Hi guys,
I completely redesigned my CW multiplier. I experienced problems with caps failures in my last CW project so this time I decided for overkill. The guillotine like construction you can see on the pictures is 3stage multiplier. I decided to use multiple caps in series. This is little bit more work but HV stress on the dielectric is much lower in this setup and I don’t need to glue the sides of the caps (which is dirty smelly job). First stage is made as 2x5caps in series; each can stand 25KV at 9nF so the total rating of is 125KV. They will never see more than 100KV (rather much less). The next stage is made of 2x6caps in series. Third stage is planned as 2x7caps but I run out of transparencies so I had to use my old 60KV caps (always two in series) from my previous CW.

The CW is a monster. When it runs and I came closer I can feel a real wind coming to me (it is almost scary). Also the lamp in my room is shinning despite is 1,5m away (you can see on the second picture). Tomorrow I'll start to play with maximum spark length (today I managed 30cm sparks and I had to stop, because is too noisy). I'm optimistic I plan at least 50cm sparks, maybe more....

Comments and questions welcomed…

here is a video: Link2

1 Copy

2 Copy

Check the lamp behind!

3 Copy
MOT_man
Sun Mar 09 2008, 05:05AM
MOT_man Registered Member #1127 Joined: Mon Nov 19 2007, 12:08AM
Damn, that is a very nicely built CW! Well done.... I'm sure 1,000,000 volts is an easy thing to obtain with one of these devices.

Best of luck.

Just don't get zapped - it might hurt a little. ;)
Proud Mary
Sun Mar 09 2008, 08:49AM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
Good work!
Dr. Dark Current
Sun Mar 09 2008, 09:07AM
Dr. Dark Current Registered Member #152 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 03:36PM
Nice!
Maybe if you leave more clearance on the sides of the caps (this means bigger dielectric sheets or smaller alu foil), you will experience less side spark-over problems.

Mates
Sun Mar 09 2008, 10:09AM
jmartis wrote ...

Nice!
Maybe if you leave more clearance on the sides of the caps (this means bigger dielectric sheets or smaller alu foil), you will experience less side spark-over problems.

Yes you right, that's why I switched to the series caps design. Now every cap has a side air distance between the alu foils 2.5cm. The lowest stage employs 2x5caps in series so the total side distance is 12.5cm. I do not expect a sparks-over of such lenght in the lowest stage. Next stages will have always 2.5cm more, so I think the side-sparking problem is solved once forever! Now the big question is how well the dielectric (PP-CP) will deal with the ozone which seems to be the only limitation of the longevity...
Logan Kennedy
Sun Mar 09 2008, 10:25AM
Logan Kennedy Registered Member #1103 Joined: Mon Nov 05 2007, 06:02PM
Quite amazing.

I would love to do some ion wind experiments with this thing.
Dr. Dark Current
Sun Mar 09 2008, 10:48AM
Dr. Dark Current Registered Member #152 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 03:36PM
Mates wrote ...

Yes you right, that's why I switched to the series caps design. Now every cap has a side air distance between the alu foils 2.5cm. The lowest stage employs 2x5caps in series so the total side distance is 12.5cm. I do not expect a sparks-over of such lenght in the lowest stage. Next stages will have always 2.5cm more, so I think the side-sparking problem is solved once forever! Now the big question is how well the dielectric (PP-CP) will deal with the ozone which seems to be the only limitation of the longevity...
You do not need more caps for higher stages, actually they will probably see a bit less voltage than the first one.

Mates
Sun Mar 09 2008, 11:10AM
jmartis wrote ...

You do not need more caps for higher stages, actually they will probably see a bit less voltage than the first one.

You are not completely right.

First and main reason why I use more caps in the upper stages is to lower the capacitance (this makes the CW to work better)

But, the highest voltage stress is not in the lowest stage as you (and the logic) suggest. First of all it is my practical experience (if there was a cap failure in my old CW than always one of the top caps). The reason for that could be that there is always significant flow of electricity away from the first stage (stages), mainly due to corona loses. In other words, the lowest stage is continuously discharged into the upper stages - the upper stages mimic the load, even if there is no real load connected to the CW output...That's why only the top caps are so stressed if I left the CW running without discharges. It is an effect of the fact that the device is so imperfectly made wink
Mates
Sun Mar 09 2008, 07:16PM
CW fun! amazed

1205090061 1025 FT40763 Trabi2

1205090061 1025 FT40763 Trabi3

2 Copy

1 Copy
Proud Mary
Sun Mar 09 2008, 09:09PM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
Brilliant!
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: