Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
GrantX (34)

Next birthdays
03/29 GrantX (34)
03/30 Adam Horden (39)
03/30 Mr.Warwickshire (23)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

300KV Cockroft Walton multiplier

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Mates
Sat Feb 16 2008, 05:53PM Print
Mates Registered Member #1025 Joined: Sun Sept 23 2007, 07:53PM
I‘m starting a new HV project...
For my future experiments I need 300KV DC power source and here is the try to get it for low costs…
It is classical CW multiplier, based on ignition coil 50KV at 6 KHz. In fact it is just next step after the doubler which I presented here Link2 recently. The caps are home made Link2 disassembled from my old Marx generator which I’m actually trying to replace.

The diodes are stacks of 1N4007 Link2 , probably the cheapest diodes you can get (I bought 1000pc for 20$) dipped in cooking oil. So theoretically I can rectify 1milion volts… amazed

Here is a test run - two stages. Spark gap is 15cm, probably I can go much widther. The sparking rate is approx. 15 per second and sound is really loud angry . I plan at least 8 stages in the future so hopefully I’ll send more exiting picture soon…

I’ll have to think a lot how to design the 8 stages into a compact device (probaly everythnig will end up inside an oil bath). Any suggestion regarding this would be great. And of course any question and comments are welcomed…

2 Copy

3 Copy

1 Copy
Spedy
Sun Feb 17 2008, 06:02PM
Spedy Registered Member #964 Joined: Wed Aug 22 2007, 12:39AM
Wow, that's amazing. Though I can;t see that lighter sitting in spark gap going to well lol. 300kv is alot, don't you get enough corona to fill a bunch of 2 liter bottles?
Either way, congrats. so far the only hv thingy I've gotten to work is a kit that makes like 1/2-1" sparks... lol.

How much time did you spend trying to make this thing work? So far I can;t even make a camera-flash inverter based CW multiplier work..
Anyway, hope you eventualy manage the big 1mill! Be sure to post pictures when you do! lol
Mates
Sun Feb 17 2008, 10:34PM
Spedy wrote ...

300kv is alot, don't you get enough corona to fill a bunch of 2 liter bottles?

You do not understand it well, 300KV is the aim which is still far away. My guess is, that with those 2 stages my final tension is little bit above 100KV. Corona does not seem to be a problem. You can check the darker picture...

Spedy wrote ...

How much time did you spend trying to make this thing work?

This project is glued of parts of my older ones. Thus, completing this thing was a quick action. Only soldering the diodes is PITA work.
Today I've made another stage with new caps which are 30% less capacitance. I plan to reduce the capacitance gradually with each next stage. I placed everything on a plastic board so it is much more compact now. With the test run I scared to death a friend of mine tongue I'll send new pictures tomorrow wink
Shaun
Mon Feb 18 2008, 03:11AM
Shaun Registered Member #690 Joined: Tue May 08 2007, 03:47AM
You should really use a limiting resistor, since every time you directly short that you discharge the capacitor string through the 1A rated 1N4007s. Seems you've had no problems so far, but once you get up to higher stored energy it could be bad news for those diodes.
Mates
Mon Feb 18 2008, 12:26PM
Shaun wrote ...

You should really use a limiting resistor, since every time you directly short that you discharge the capacitor string through the 1A rated 1N4007s. Seems you've had no problems so far, but once you get up to higher stored energy it could be bad news for those diodes.

That's actually very good point Shaun. This is exactly the reason why I'm discussing the whole project here. Any design flaws you people notice are thankfully accepted. I didn't realize that this is not a Marx and amp peak must be really big in the diodes during discharge (It must be a good luck and gods support they are still alive cheesey ). I will use 1Mohm resistor made of 10pc of 100K/2W high voltage resistors all dipped in oil. I've been using them for my Marx and I know for sure that 3 of them in series can stand 60KV. I'm very curios how the sparks will look like with this type of limiter...
Thanks...
Spedy
Mon Feb 18 2008, 06:01PM
Spedy Registered Member #964 Joined: Wed Aug 22 2007, 12:39AM
Ah, I see. a 300kv goal is pretty high by my standards lol.

I can understand how those diode chains can be a pain, I've burned myself numerous times trying to make a little tiny CW where all the components hardly have any leads at all >.<

Hey, what circuit are you using for the iggy coil? 50kv ac from an iggy seems kinda insane to me...
Mates
Tue Feb 19 2008, 11:01PM
Here is my latest progress. I made the whole device more compact and added one more stage. I also built the HV resistor as you can see on the picture.

However, despite I’m still far away from my aim I already have to deal with serious problems. The resistors works only if the spark gap is below 22cm. If I make larger gap the initial few sparks are not resistor limited (the electricity finds somehow way around). I also noticed that I have flashovers between the connection points within the device in case the spark gap is more than 26cm. This means I’ll have to built the final device differently with greater spacing or/and placing it inside an oil bath frown . I’m sending at least some sparks pictures limited by the resistor. The HV terminals are 22cm apart…

1203461998 1025 FT39162 Sg101393

1203461998 1025 FT39162 Resistor

1 Copy

and one more picture here Link2
Kizmo
Thu Feb 21 2008, 10:27AM
Kizmo Registered Member #599 Joined: Thu Mar 22 2007, 07:40PM
That is *really* impressive!

..You made me buy 3000pcs of 1N4007s from ebay :D (1k for me, rest are for my friend)
uzzors2k
Fri Feb 22 2008, 07:27AM
uzzors2k Registered Member #95 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:57PM
That's excellent Mates! I like how you used nothing but common components and household junk. Good job and keep it up!
thermite
Sat Feb 23 2008, 03:46AM
thermite Banned on 02/27/2008
Registered Member #1326 Joined: Sun Feb 17 2008, 11:19PM
I think the voltage multiplier is not called walton and cockroft.

Walton and cockroft is identical to Marx.

1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: