Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Nicko (56)

Next birthdays
04/19 Nicko (56)
04/20 gentoo_daemon (42)
04/21 kilovolt (49)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Seeking to hire someone to fabricate Zamboni HV battery

1 2 3 4 
Move Thread LAN_403
CM
Fri Mar 10 2006, 07:55PM Print
CM Banned on April 7, 2007
Registered Member #277 Joined: Fri Mar 03 2006, 10:15AM
I've searched high and low to find a Zamboni High voltage battery to purchase, but can't find a source. So, I am offering to pay someone to fabricate at least one, and preferably two, Zamboni Batteries for me (also called a DuLuc Dry Pile). I am willing to pay generously for a job well done. Attached is a file about Zamboni HV batteries for general information. If you are interested in this, contact me via email for discussion. CM
1142020427 277 FT0 Zamboni
ragnar
Fri Mar 10 2006, 11:22PM
ragnar Registered Member #63 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:18AM
Seems a bit pointless to me. Try a PVC pipe full of button cells!

Find someone like oatley electronics who sells crappy LR44s in bulk for cents each.

Personally, I'd ask first what you want to do with it...

...then I'd ask if the fact that this is your second post on the forum means the only reason you joined the forum was to parasite off the members to get your HV battery built wink hehehe - I might be mistaken, but we're worth more than that, mate =)
Eric
Sat Mar 11 2006, 12:14AM
Eric Registered Member #69 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 07:42AM
Hey, he said 'pay generously' which is one of my favorite two word phrases. It doesn't sound that hard either. How big of a pile do you need (voltage wise) and what are you going to use it for?
ragnar
Sat Mar 11 2006, 01:03AM
ragnar Registered Member #63 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:18AM
When I used to work for phase engineering (midi and amplifier repair place) it was standard practise to take all the 3V lithiums (maintains volatile memory etc) and replace them as a matter of principle...

A few weeks later I had about 150V worth... I held them together in series with tape, wrote "TOWER OF POWER" on the side, and left it lying around in convenient places such as on the kettle... in the fridge... on my desk. It was severely popular!

Would a couple of PVC pipes full of watch cells not do the trick for you? seems a very easy way to do it without silvered paper etc etc... :-/
Sat Mar 11 2006, 07:05AM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
What do you plan to do with it? You are not going to have more than a few ma/hrs in it, so unless you are just using it for electrostatic experiments it won't last at all (and probably won't be able to put out more than a few ma). I almost wonder if it would last very long just sitting with the amount of constant corona...

I suppose the most important question is what voltage do you need. I would recommend a 9v battery/button cell which can be hard pretty cheaply. batteries and butter has some 20cent 9v's... Even it you need 10kv that is a mere $200 suprised That would also give a lot more storage/current capacity...
HV Enthusiast
Sat Mar 11 2006, 01:53PM
HV Enthusiast Registered Member #15 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:11PM
Yes, I am interested to learning the end application as well. Are you just trying to get the output voltage or are you doing this for historical purposes?
CM
Sat Mar 11 2006, 03:25PM
CM Banned on April 7, 2007
Registered Member #277 Joined: Fri Mar 03 2006, 10:15AM
I've been a long time member having made many posts in the past and secured the services of more than one very bright persons from this site for past projects, but for some reason when the site upgraded, it no longer recognized my pass, so I had to rejoin, thus the reason for the low post count. (I wouldn't mind if the moderator changed my post count to 40 or so, which is easily how many posts I've made in the past).

The short answer for why I want a Zamboni is: I own two patents and just filed for my third, part of the 3rd application includes a circuit I developed that transforms HV to LV more efficiently than using a transformer. Eventho a Zamboni is extremely low amperage, I'd love to see how my conversion circuit performs when using a Zamboni as the HV source. Now then, here is the MAIN reason a Zamboni is attractive to me... Zamboni HV batteries are documented to operate for up to 50 years, and in atleast one case, claimed to currently be operating a electrostatic motor for over 100 years (see attached article). The battery eventually does run down as the electrolyte breaks down, so it's not the perverbial perpetual energy source, but it is a long-term energy source of HV/low amperage. A goggle search on Zamboni Battery reveals other articles stating the longevity known to be associated with these style HV batteries. Delicate fabrication such as is required to construct a Zamboni battery isn't my favorite activity, so I'm seeking to compensate someone to construct one or two Zambonis for me, approximately 3 feet long each, should provide ample voltage to operate my circuit. CM
1142090556 277 FT3750 Zamboni
HV Enthusiast
Sat Mar 11 2006, 03:37PM
HV Enthusiast Registered Member #15 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:11PM
To be honest, anytime i see the term "perpetual machine" mixed within a supposedly scientific article, i become very wary.
Nik
Sat Mar 11 2006, 03:38PM
Nik Registered Member #53 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:31AM
Isnt a zamboni that big machine that drives across the ice at halftime? cheesey

Im not sure if you have thought about it but you could probably use a Van De Graff generator to power your circuit if you want HV, low aperage. It is a far easier task to build a small VDG then a "zamboni" battery of any size.
Steve Conner
Sat Mar 11 2006, 05:17PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
EVR: The article only mentioned perpetual motion in so far as to say that the Zamboni battery was _not_ a perpetual motion machine. As far as I'm concerned, CM has money ("Generous" amounts of it too) and he wants a straightforward but tedious job done. Is anyone going to take up his offer?

As a technical aside: the amp-hour capacity of a battery is presumably determined by the chemical energies of the electrode materials, and won't vary much no matter how those materials are assembled. So it's probably wrong to believe that the dry pile batteri is somehow more efficient. A three foot long stack of D cells could probably power a tiny motor for 100 years too, if it weren't for the fact that the guts of the D cells corrode and fail by themselves after about 10 years. The dry pile battery must just have a very long shelf life due to its very low activity. If I understand the principle right, the electrolyte is just the moisture naturally present in the air.
1 2 3 4 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: