Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
gentoo_daemon (42)

Next birthdays
04/20 gentoo_daemon (42)
04/21 kilovolt (49)
04/21 wannabegeekTC (49)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Minibrute Construction Thread / FAQs

1 2 3 4  last
Move Thread LAN_403
Austin
Mon Dec 31 2007, 05:22AM Print
Austin Registered Member #1169 Joined: Wed Dec 12 2007, 09:16AM
I was wondering if anyone here has read or attempted to build the "miniBrute" mentioned in McCauley's book "DRSSTC Building The Modern Day Tesla Coil". I've read both books and I am currently in the process of gathering the materials necessary to start construction. This will be my first Tesla Coil so I don't know if building this thing will take me over my head. The book seems very straight forward and it is also the most comprehensive book I have found on DRSSTCs. I wanted to hear what you guys had to say on the subject. I considered building a regular SGTC however, they are a bit to noisy for my taste.
Ken M.
Mon Dec 31 2007, 11:16AM
Ken M. Registered Member #618 Joined: Sat Mar 31 2007, 04:15AM
Well, if evr replies then he's your author, also with any medium to large and considerably powerful tc's they will still be loud, as for experience with Minibrute no I haven't had any, like I said tho, evr will be able to give u more info.
Reaching
Mon Dec 31 2007, 12:45PM
Reaching Registered Member #76 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 10:04AM
mh, if a sgtc is too noisy for you then i would suggest building a sstc instead .
a drsstc is really loud and screamy and from my own experience i would say a drsstc is much louder than a sgtc.
Dago
Mon Dec 31 2007, 07:52PM
Dago Registered Member #538 Joined: Sun Feb 18 2007, 08:33PM
Yes a DRSSTC will make even more noise than a SGTC.
Austin
Mon Dec 31 2007, 09:30PM
i was talking more about the noise from a rotary spark gap itself. I didn't want to deal with that and not to mention the health hazards like x-rays, Uv light that come with a SGTC.

My main motive for building the DRSSTC was to add an external audio interrupter so it can play music.
HV Enthusiast
Tue Jan 01 2008, 02:49AM
HV Enthusiast Registered Member #15 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:11PM
Austin wrote ...

I was wondering if anyone here has read or attempted to build the "miniBrute" mentioned in McCauley's book "DRSSTC Building The Modern Day Tesla Coil". I've read both books and I am currently in the process of gathering the materials necessary to start construction. This will be my first Tesla Coil so I don't know if building this thing will take me over my head. The book seems very straight forward and it is also the most comprehensive book I have found on DRSSTCs. I wanted to hear what you guys had to say on the subject. I considered building a regular SGTC however, they are a bit to noisy for my taste.

The DRSSTC is definitely a challenging build, but you do have an enormous base of information (members) here with mucho DRSSTC experience.

Also, DRSSTCs are very loud as well . . . at least as loud as a SGTC. And contrary to popular belief, even though a spark gap does make some noise, the majority of the noise still comes from the high voltage arc itself, and not the spark gap.
Austin
Tue Jan 01 2008, 08:34PM
My biggest concern will not be actually building the thing but all the fine tuning and testing prior to turning it on for the first time. smile

but I appreciate the support and I look forward to updating you guys once I start getting my hands dirty
Ultra7
Tue Jan 01 2008, 08:58PM
Ultra7 Registered Member #1157 Joined: Thu Dec 06 2007, 12:11PM
I just ordered the books myself!!!!
We thought you'd like to know that your Lulu order has shipped. (You can check out all the details below.)

Remember, you can always track the status of an order at our website: Link2

Shipped on Tue, 01 Jan 2008 via USPS Media Mail
All items in your order have been shipped.

In This Shipment
===========================
1 of DRSSTC : Building the Modern Day Tesla Coil by Daniel McCauley (Printed)
1 of DRSSTC : Building the Modern Day Tesla Coil miniBrute Reference by Daniel McCauley (Printed)
Austin
Tue Jan 01 2008, 10:49PM
well maybe we can help each other out or something if we stuck on section. wait till you start ordering parts tho... kinda expensive.
Ultra7
Tue Jan 01 2008, 11:23PM
Ultra7 Registered Member #1157 Joined: Thu Dec 06 2007, 12:11PM
I built WilliamN.'s SSTC and I have built 90% of a SGTC (Pics to come) and I know by now that there is nothing inexpensive about this hobby.
I fooled myself into thinking that I could just buy one part this paycheck, or I could get this part cheaper, or that I could save a boatload buying this part in bulk. . .
you get the point.

I've spent a lot of my money, a lot of my time, and if I totaled it all up, I'd probably do it all over again.

But yes, I accept.
We can help each other in this project.

Ultra7
1 2 3 4  last

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: