Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
uzzors2k (35)

Next birthdays
03/29 GrantX (34)
03/30 Adam Horden (39)
03/30 Mr.Warwickshire (23)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Red Alert Tesla project

1 2 3 4  last
Move Thread LAN_403
Tesladownunder
Sat Sept 29 2007, 03:51PM Print
Tesladownunder Registered Member #10 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 09:45AM
I have let out hints that I was working on a Tesla coil to simulate the Red Alert Tesla coil. Red Alert was a real time strategy game that was very popular since its release in 1996. It is also many people's only contact with the concept of a Tesla coil. The TC was a major Soviet base defence unit, able to fire long sparks at intruders. It was augmented by Telsa troopers for extra power.

The TC as depicted in RA had multiple toroids and a sphere on top and had coloured supports and could shoot spark over long distances. The sparks were usually white with some yellow ones.

I can make the multiple toroids and have shown how to get the coloured sparks. The other structures and Tesla trooper can be modelled.
The long sparks I am now in a position to show with the first shot below. This was the first major hurdle.
Note that like all my pics, this is a single exposure with no photoshopping.

1191080970 10 FT0 Teslacoilredalert21

1191080970 10 FT0 Teslara18fttrial1000
Sulaiman
Sat Sept 29 2007, 05:11PM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
Now that's truly amazing....

You've done it again Peter,
this one's sure to get about a billion hits!
Great stuff.

How's it done?
Dr. H.
Sat Sept 29 2007, 06:17PM
Dr. H. Registered Member #931 Joined: Mon Jul 30 2007, 05:25PM
amazed How long is that spark ????
Capper
Sat Sept 29 2007, 06:20PM
Capper Registered Member #914 Joined: Fri Jul 20 2007, 06:22PM
>>Note that like all my pics, this is a single exposure with no photoshopping

I'd call it a fraud - the bottom of some of the sparks are flat and cut-off. You overlaid multiple images.

C@P
Bauerb2
Sat Sept 29 2007, 07:29PM
Bauerb2 Registered Member #973 Joined: Tue Aug 28 2007, 07:32PM
i dont believe the pic though.. it looks as if the metal garage is closer than the hoop. and as capper said, they look cut off at a few spots.

mentiroso.... hehe
Marko
Sat Sept 29 2007, 07:34PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
It looks like he dragged two conductive wires/breakout points separated by a non-conductor in the line between the coil and hoop. The same thing used for his ball as it appears.
Tesladownunder
Sat Sept 29 2007, 07:39PM
Capper wrote ...

>>Note that like all my pics, this is a single exposure with no photoshopping
I'd call it a fraud - the bottom of some of the sparks are flat and cut-off. You overlaid multiple images.
C@P
People regularly call my stuff photoshopped. It still hurts a bit though. Usually they don't bother to read the simple explanations on my site. Although this is not on my site yet I have explained how I was going to do it here or here in Mystery photos. The thing is that this must be easier than photoshopping. Particularly when I have many photos and out-takes.

Span is about 19 feet. The spark is 3 feet not 19 feet and it gets pulled along during the exposure.
I repeat that all my photos are single exposures with only minor adjustments such as brightness and cropping.

Pic 1 is a shorter (18ft) span with a 20 second exposure.
Pic 2 is an outtake. Out of focus and the wire fell off the hoop. Burnt some grass which the kids thought was cool and what we really should be photographing.
Pic 3 shows the spool closeup with the connection to the short length of nylon line.
Pic 4 shows the spool and you can just see the line up to the hoop. From there it joins to a nylon line again which I pull on.

TDU

1191094672 10 FT32031 Teslara18fttriala1000

1191094672 10 FT32031 Teslara18ftouttaketrial1000

1191094672 10 FT32031 Teslara18ftspool1000

1191094672 10 FT32031 Teslara18ftspoolb1000
Steve Conner
Sat Sept 29 2007, 07:41PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Well Capper, technically it is fake, it just wasn't faked digitally. I agree that it must use the wire method.

It still looks awesome though, proper job TDU smile
Shaun
Sun Sept 30 2007, 04:04AM
Shaun Registered Member #690 Joined: Tue May 08 2007, 03:47AM
It obviously is not hitting the shed even though that's closer to it because it is targeting the hoop. I mean, come on, the Red Alert TC didn't just hit random ground objects, it only struck non-Soviet grounded objects (and people).

I guarantee you on some random geekblogosphere site's comments: "wow how do u get that thing 2 target stuff?!"

And then the essential Youtube comment that we've all gotten on TC-related videos: "OMG how u do that?
Tesladownunder
Sun Sept 30 2007, 12:42PM
I haven't been very clear I guess. This is not a 19 foot spark. It is a 3 foot spark which is pulled out on a wire over 15 seconds over that distance towards the basketball hoop. The cameras long exposure over 20 seconds makes this look (sort of) like a very long spark. That is entirely the effect I want to give to simulate the Red Alert TC which was able to target things with "microwave beam ionisation guidance".
Now that I can do that I will proceed to the other modelling aspects and the next problem which is trying to tune a sphere and 3 toroids plus a 25 foot wire. I am using 13 of 17 turns to tune a small toroid with say a 6 foot wire. I may have to make temporary primary turns as I would prefer this to making another cap bank to add on.

Here is the topload as per Red Alert. The upper part is my 4 inch secondary which died recently with internal flames and smoke. Looks perfect on the outside though. It happened that it was a simple fit to the top of my big TC and also to the sphere and allowed room for a spool. Nearly 12 foot high without adding to the base so has to be disassembled before going back into the carport.
The photo below is just a bit of fun using multiple gaps in the wire. A Tesla "plasma cannon" if you wish.
A 10 second exposure with no wire movement.

TDU

1191154507 10 FT32031 Teslarateslaballisticstrail1000
1 2 3 4  last

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: