Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/27 Daniel Davis (53)
05/29 Zonalklism (33)
05/29 Dr Hankenstein (67)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Squirrel Repeller

1 2 3 4 
Move Thread LAN_403
skmetal7
Fri Mar 03 2006, 05:38PM Print
skmetal7 Registered Member #101 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:12PM
Ok, today my mom gave me a project: to try and keep squirrels off of a particular bird feeder, near a window
1141406784 101 FT0 Cool 095

1141406784 101 FT0 Cool 096

what i was thinking was to bend a copper tube and attach it to the bottom green basin along the top rim, that would be one electrode, then the metal cage surrounding the seeds would be the other electrode(i would have to scrape off the green plastic that is coated on the cage.)

the squirrels jump from the branches behind the feeder, land on the green basin and use it as a perch and this is where the copper tube will be placed wink , then they stick their paws/ mouth in between the cage (the other electrode). cheesey

the birds only touch the cage since they use that as a perch instead, or they land on the green basin (but still they would only be touching one electrode at a time)

now im wondering how many volts to use. (i have a 5,000v transformer, but that might be a little cruel) maybe 100v, 200v? ac, dc?
Marko
Fri Mar 03 2006, 05:55PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
Use some low frequency, very low current HV. Few miliamps are probably enough to kill a squirrel so you must be careful.
Dont like animal torturing but if it is a must low power driven ignition coil or so should be ok...

It owuld be sad to see roasted squrrel etc. in that cage dead frown
Nik
Fri Mar 03 2006, 06:49PM
Nik Registered Member #53 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:31AM
You can use the same idea as a cow fence. It pulses a few KV once every 15-20seconds, the current isnt very high but it will make you think twice about touching it again.

*edit*
On second though, make sure its safe for even you to touch because i dont think you want a pile of dead squirlles under your bird feeder.
vasil
Fri Mar 03 2006, 07:01PM
vasil Registered Member #229 Joined: Tue Feb 21 2006, 07:33PM
I am sure y'll find a way without high voltage. They dont deserve such severe punishment.
skmetal7
Fri Mar 03 2006, 07:28PM
skmetal7 Registered Member #101 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:12PM
i have an inverter from a spiral florescent lamp, it has 4 out put terminals and runs off of 110v ac.

or i have a few transformers from thoes ionic air cleaner things, one i have no idea what the input voltage is but it has a bridge rectifier on it (ill get a pic later) a transistor, and a fer other components. the other is a 16vac to 7kv dc black box from a different air purifier, i cant even get it to arc, and i dont feel like being a guine pig right now to test it

ill have a switch so when it needs to be refilled it can be turned off

oh yeah, the cats dont even bother them anymore
the_anomaly
Fri Mar 03 2006, 07:33PM
the_anomaly Registered Member #19 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 03:19PM
air rifle gets rid of one but then they like multiply after you get one. Maybe you can fill the dish with water. The birds could use it as a bath and I don't think the squirrels would like it much. We tried for a long time to get the squirrels off our bird feeder but the best we did was to hang it far off on a long slippery pole or let the cat out.
Marko
Fri Mar 03 2006, 08:24PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
I thing that neon lamp inverter would nopt be good idea, it burns much more than shocks, ignition coil was even used as cow fence and I think its perfect idea.
Run it pulsed, from some low voltage source (etc. NE555 + 2N3055) to give few kilovolts and current of under 1 mA, to be unpleasurable but still not life threat even for squirrel.

IamSmooth
Sat Mar 04 2006, 04:26AM
IamSmooth Registered Member #190 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 12:00AM
I have built an electric fence charger to keep furry rodents away from my garden. You will need at least 2.5kv to penetrate the fur. You need to keep the total energy at about 0.15-0.25 Joules for small animals. Squirrels may need more because they are "squirrelly." You need to keep the pulse width under 100 usec as longer periods will lead to sparks which can be a fire hazard.

In short, you should aim for 0.5 - 1 second pulse intervals with a pulse width of 30-100usec and a voltage of 5kv. This should hurt, but not kill the squirrel. I would set up a ground plate on the bottom and a mesh cage as the hot wire. The birds will fly and land above it.
blinkenlightz
Thu Mar 23 2006, 07:58AM
blinkenlightz Registered Member #202 Joined: Sat Feb 18 2006, 07:20AM
Two other methods you might consider would be a motor with a pressure switch to SPIN the feeder and throw the little suckers off when they get on it. This would be VERY entertaining to watch. This is not my idea as someone actually sells a commercial product that does this. Squirrels are much heavier than birds so mechanical switch that discriminates should be pretty easy. You could use one of those slider fish scales that they sell in the fishing section at Wally world and just add a contact to the little indicator so when it slides down to squirrel weight xx ozs then zing! Another idea would be a mechanical buzzer or relay wired as buzzer will scare them away. Put your switch where the feeder hangs up or on the rail where the squirrels hang on. You could also just run the switch inside and give button to your Mom. Then all you would need would be a motor at the top of the feeder where it hangs up..hook motor shaft to feeder hook and start spinnin off squirrels with centrifical force. Or buzzing the little suckers when they get on it. Funny! cheesey We have feeders too so I know how you feel. Spinning them off is much more humane. Squirrels have very advanced muscles and nerves for all the running and jumping they do and I would imagine that electricity would hurt their nervous system very badly. cry I don't think they would come back too soon if they get thrown or buzzed off the feeder.
GimpyJoe
Thu Mar 23 2006, 01:54PM
GimpyJoe Registered Member #316 Joined: Mon Mar 13 2006, 01:30PM
Here's a device I came up with: Make a water gun with an electronic valve and a black tank. Point the nozzle at the feeder and attach the electronic valve to the pressure switch on the feeder. The sun heats the tank and pressurizes it, so you don't even have to hook it up to a hose.
1 2 3 4 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: