Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
GrantX (34)

Next birthdays
03/30 Adam Horden (39)
03/30 Mr.Warwickshire (23)
03/31 Swedish Coiler (41)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Chemistry
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

melting point of superglue

Move Thread LAN_403
EEYORE
Fri Mar 03 2006, 12:26AM
EEYORE Registered Member #99 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:10PM
hello all, i was wondering if anyone here knows what point superglue melts. I have glued some capacitors together and wish to separate them. 500F definalely did it but also did my capacitors too,oops!

Thanks,
Matt
Fri Mar 03 2006, 12:32AM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
I don't think it does amazed
I have two experiences with hot super glue...
One of them is when I glued the top cap onto an 811a tube, and it does not even start to stink at temperatures close to the mp of solder (the envelope is hot enough to so so).
The other was a cap that had some ca on the leads, and as I was soldering it I couldn't figure out why the solder wouldn't stick, until I got hit by a cloud of ca fumes dead Man that was nasty, my eyes were watering for like 5 minutes.

Good Luck!

Could you try acetone?
EEYORE
Fri Mar 03 2006, 06:37AM
EEYORE Registered Member #99 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:10PM
... wrote ...

I don't think it does amazed
I have two experiences with hot super glue...
One of them is when I glued the top cap onto an 811a tube, and it does not even start to stink at temperatures close to the mp of solder (the envelope is hot enough to so so).
The other was a cap that had some ca on the leads, and as I was soldering it I couldn't figure out why the solder wouldn't stick, until I got hit by a cloud of ca fumes dead Man that was nasty, my eyes were watering for like 5 minutes.

Good Luck!

Could you try acetone?

I tried acetone and rubbing alcohol, neither worked...at all...I tried baking them, just killed the caps(split open)...Sigh, they are no good to me...I guess ill just get some more...

Matt
Eric
Fri Mar 03 2006, 09:20AM
Eric Registered Member #69 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 07:42AM
Acetone does work, it just needs a little time. I seperated some stuff I had glued together by soaking in a bottle of acetone overnight. In the morning it had all fallen apart.
cbfull
Fri Mar 03 2006, 04:59PM
cbfull Registered Member #187 Joined: Thu Feb 16 2006, 02:54PM
I tried supergluing some plastic parts together once that were constantly exposed to steam. The glue would only hold in the beginning, and then it would spread out leaving a white residue, and no more bond. Perhaps the high temp/humidity combination destroys the bonds?

I was going to suggest blowing steam on the bond for a couple of hours, but I can't say that the moisture would be good for the caps.
4ensic
Fri Mar 03 2006, 07:00PM
4ensic Registered Member #278 Joined: Fri Mar 03 2006, 06:53PM
I don't know how the caps would handle it, but Sirchie has a great cyanoacrylate cleaning solution. You might try it!

Link Link2

joshua_
Mon Mar 06 2006, 12:09PM
joshua_ Registered Member #61 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:50AM
..., you got very lucky. Don't ever experiment with melting or vaporizing superglue, and don't use it in any application in which it might possibly melt or vaporize. The fumes are very very toxic (as I recall, part of it is cyanide gas). Be very very careful.

Acetone is probably what I'd suggest -- keep swabbing it and poking at it and brushing it, and it should dissolve.

(...along with the varnish on your table.)
Dr. Shark
Thu Mar 09 2006, 09:12AM
Dr. Shark Registered Member #75 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 09:30AM
Just a little theoretical note here: Unlike other glues, superglue does not work by evaporation of a solvent, but by a chain reaction which goes by the name of polymerisation. This means that once superglue hardens, it turns into one single big messy molecule, and neither heat nor solvents will neccecarily undo this reaction. Heat will eventually break down (not melt) superglue, but lots of nasty fumes will be released.
Conclusion: Dont even try, just get it apart mechanically. Thats what works for me.
Bored Chemist
Fri Mar 10 2006, 07:04AM
Bored Chemist Registered Member #193 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 07:04AM
The solvent doesn't need to undo the reaction. Acetone is a fairly good solvent for the polymer.
Heat undoes the reaction pretty well. IIrC that's part of the manufacturing process.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: