All today's birthdays', congrats!
David.Lightman (54)
jonny5 (40)

Next birthdays
04/19 Nicko (56)
04/20 gentoo_daemon (42)
04/21 kilovolt (49)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Amateur coil gun approach sound barrier

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
pulslaser
Thu Mar 02 2006, 09:19PM Print
pulslaser Registered Member #156 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 07:04PM
hi,
I now finish my second induktion coil gun. It uses 8 stages including injector. Each stage has a 40µF 2.5kV capacitor which is discharged through the coil by a trigger spark gap. The spark gap is by triggered by another gap which is triggered by the passing projectil. The projectile, a short piece (2.5 cm) of alu tube has reached a velocity of 270 m/s . So I hope to reach the magic 330 m/s by optimization during next days. More infos will follow at weekend when I will have enough time to do some work
1141334358 156 FT0 Image1

1141334358 156 FT0 Image3
Simon
Fri Mar 03 2006, 12:01AM
Simon Registered Member #32 Joined: Sat Feb 04 2006, 08:58AM
What's the mass of the projectile?

How does the triggering work? Is it optical? Inductive?

(That's serious amateur work, by the way.)
Fri Mar 03 2006, 12:27AM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
looks nice!

looking at the first post he is using a mechanical trigger...
Liam
Fri Mar 03 2006, 06:36AM
Liam Registered Member #113 Joined: Fri Feb 10 2006, 01:40AM
Pardon my ignorance (I've never built a coilgun). I understand this is a tremendous amount of power, but isn't the spark gap AWFUL in terms of power loss? I mean, it has to have one of the worst efficiencies of any switch. Could you not find a large enough SCR?
Desmogod
Fri Mar 03 2006, 08:08AM
Desmogod Registered Member #139 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 11:01AM
Liam, I think the problem with finding a puck to transfer that amount of energy is going to be cost.
i.e. it'll be huge.
Plasmaniac
Fri Mar 03 2006, 01:12PM
Plasmaniac Registered Member #206 Joined: Sat Feb 18 2006, 03:17PM
I've blown an 10kA peak SCR with one similar cap @ just a little over 1kV. In my single stage induction coilgun, I use a mechanical triggered sparkgap, so the losses are a little lower, but it is too slow for multistage designs.

Pulslaser: Do you get higher efficiencys with pieces of aluminum tube than with solid aluminium?
pulslaser
Fri Mar 03 2006, 06:56PM
Simon: triggering is done by a spark gap across the barrel just behind each coil. This gap fires when the conduction projectil passes and discharge the red 6 kV capacitors over the trigger pin of the main switch gaps which in turn discharge the main capacitors through the coils
Liam: it would be very expensive to buy 8 high power thyristors, and there are not as robust than spark gaps which are easily homemade and in case of failure repaired. The losses at high voltages of 2.5 kV are not as serious as in low voltage applications.
Plasmaniac: I found solid projectil much slower (100 m/s) mayby because of higher weight or because in this case the projectil works like a piston and has to suck the air behind into the barrel and press it out infront.
I just made some shots on a 1cm strong piece of wood. It makes a very nice sharp entrance whole
1141412209 156 FT2913 Ein

1141412209 156 FT2913 Aus
rupidust
Fri Mar 03 2006, 08:09PM
rupidust Banned
Registered Member #110 Joined: Fri Feb 10 2006, 12:23AM
Nice setup. Is this 125 Joules per stage? That sounds like a reasonable energy level for puck SCRs. The pulse discharge is obviously shorter than most CGs. SCR need to be increadibly large but just need to cover the large current value. What is the current anyhow, coil resistance? An R-puk SCR will cover the voltage and current spec at 2500v to 4000v and surge current starting at 20,000A.

There are not big, but their price will choke you. Acquirement by distributor is out of the question, but might get lucky on ebay or a surplus source. Noise issue of triggered sparks is only reason I opt not for spark gap.
Tipp
Sat Mar 04 2006, 04:24PM
Tipp Registered Member #215 Joined: Sun Feb 19 2006, 09:14PM
Thats incredable! Very sweet! I'm quite impressed, to say the least.

Best wishes in your efforts to reach 330 cheesey
pulslaser
Sun Mar 05 2006, 07:50PM
Hi,
after some hours of working with the coil gun I have to admit that the sound barrier is still intact. Mostly I reached some 300 m/s. I think one or two more stages would fix the probleem, but it's not possible with the existing device. Anyway it was a great fun building the device.

To rapidust, I didn't measure current, but according to a pspice simulation it should be around 2..3 kA, the resistance of the coils is negible, 10 to 30 windings of 1mm CuL wire. With the the main spar gaps enclosed in plexiglastubes they don't make much noise. More noise is produced by the recoil forces on the coils. The very tight windings are repelled about 1mm on the barrel after some 50 shots. And of course most noise is made by the impact of the projectil in the target.
More information is found again on my webpage http://www.rapp-instruments.de (sorry in german language)
1141588192 156 FT2913 Schuss2

1141588192 156 FT2913 Schuss3
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: