All today's birthdays', congrats!
Dalus (34)
Kizmo (37)

Next birthdays
05/22 Skynet (32)
05/22 syntroniks (15)
05/22 Powerfulman (27)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Ignition Coil Driver problems

Move Thread LAN_403
Gsu
Mon Jun 25 2007, 07:53PM
Gsu Registered Member #858 Joined: Mon Jun 25 2007, 07:23PM
Hi there,
I'm using this circuit to power an Ignition coil:
I'v blown up over 20 LM393's and 4 MOSFETS so far angry
Ignition Coil Driver Circuit Diagram 4
Where:
A 555 timer and an LM393 comparator (IC2) give me a nice square wave with PWM at the gate of an IRF840 MOSFET (500V 8A).
Of course this circuit needs proper back-emf protection when driving an inductive load like an Ignition coil.
I'm not sure but I think the voltage on the 'load-' easily rises over 1kV, if I hook up my multimeter (which only can take 1kV) it reads about 1 to 1.2kV when doing single discharges.

A snubber should damp the rate of rise right ? well they dont seem to matter anything for me. I'v tried snubbers (.1uF, 10nF, 8nF with or without a resistor in series (1-10kOmh)) and varistors over the load. an the capacitance of the snubber cap be too high ?
It just popped in my mind that I'v been using 1kV caps, they'r all still working so I thought the voltage didn't rise over 1kV (I only júst measured the 1.2kV spikes with my multimeter) since I thought the caps would break when driven too far or are MKS caps that resilient ?

With the varistor (60V one) over the load I stopped blowing up LM's but after about 2min the FETs started to die on me. rolleyes

The circuit often holds up for quite a while when there is a discharge, if the spargap is too large and there is no discharge I instandly blow up an LM393.

I'v seen the ZVS circuit beeing extremely popular here (still have to look into it) but even tho you might want to recommend it to me, and if it actually performs better I will build that afterwards, but I am at a point here where I absolute H A V E to get this circuit properly protected, working, and able to withstand switching without a discharge. mad

My goal is to drive a jacobs ladder with 2 or 4 coils in antiparallel alltho I might be better off using a flyback when I decide I want the current of multiple coils in series cheesey
Dr. Dark Current
Mon Jun 25 2007, 08:24PM
Dr. Dark Current Registered Member #152 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 03:36PM
If you want a simple driver, use just a 555 with its output driving a MOSFET (IRF640 or similar.) This circuit will not likely fail until you push it into hundred Watts. Most mosfets today are avalanche rated which means that when their D-S voltage rating is exceeded, they will just clamp it like a zener diode and don't get damaged (of course unless they overheat). If you need PWM you can use such driver IC as SG3525 (very good) or the well-known (but not so good IMO) TL494.
Gsu
Mon Jun 25 2007, 08:43PM
Well then what could be killing my LM393's cry
And could I have blown my FETs by supplying 60V thru the varistor, thru R3, into their Gate ? Overheating is not it, I have had them attached to a PC heatsink and I have never let them heat up to a temperature that you cannot comfortably touch.
sparky
Mon Jun 25 2007, 10:37PM
sparky Registered Member #530 Joined: Sat Feb 17 2007, 07:56AM
No, the easiest way I know is using a 10uF 330V cap in series with a triac all purpose 600 w dimmer switch.... you get 60 KV off a single ignition coil and its plenty powerful! Damn near indestructible too..
Sulaiman
Tue Jun 26 2007, 09:13AM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
Here are a few points that may help;

Due to the 555 you are switching the transistor at a fixed frequency set by VR1
Due to the 393 you are switching the transistor on for a fixed time each cycle set by VR2
So the overall result is that you are trying to pass constant POWER through the ignition coil.
SO - When there is no load (an arc is a load) where does all the power go?

Due to the (economical) construction of an ignition coil,
not all of the magnetic flux generated by the primary is coupled to the secondary.
This results in significant primary 'leakage inductance'
So even with a load significant energy is returned to the primary drive circuit each cycle.
This is why really good snubbing or clamping is required.
(e.g. I use 10x 1.5KE350CP in parallel on a heatsink across my ignition coil)
(I don't like relying on the avalanche capability of the transistor, just a personal thing)

There can be quite a significant current FROM the gate of a mosfet or igbt in a circuit like this,
due to drain-gate capacitance and the fast voltage change after transistor switch-off. (ringing voltage)
I doubt that the 393 can handle it so it 'dies'
Use the 393 to drive a transistor which connects to R3/gate (you'll have to exchange + and - inputs of the 393).

For this kind of circuit I usually put a diode from 0V to gate and another diode from gate to V+
to 'catch' any 'ringing' currents from the gate.

MKP and MKT capacitors ARE quite tough, they are commonly tested at 2.5 x rated voltage !
I've not come across MKS capacitors, I do have some 18nF 2500V KS capacitors
I didn't know styrene could be metal coated.
(M means 'metalized', MM means double-sided metalised, no M means foil)

I use just a 555 directly driving either mosfet or igbt (with diodes and TVSs) for this kind of circuit, easy/cheap.

Hope this all helps rather than confuse cheesey
thedatastream
Tue Jun 26 2007, 09:00PM
thedatastream Registered Member #505 Joined: Sun Nov 19 2006, 06:42PM
Perhaps, as Sulaiman suggested, an anti-parallel diode across the load would help to prevent damage to the MOSFET.

If I understand your circuit correctly, you are comparing the voltage ramp across C1 in the 555 circuit against a reference formed by VR2 to form a PWM circuit. However, the drive formed by IC2 and R3 probably isn't man enough to turn on the MOSFET fast enough.

You can use another 555 as a buffer by connecting pins 2 and 6 to the output of the comparator IC2, pins 4 and 8 to Vcc, 1 to ground, pin 7 and 5 unconnected and pin 3 to the MOSFET via a small resistor (say 2R2). This may invert the signal, but I cant be bothered to figure out which ;)

If this fails, you could try an RC snubber across the MOSFET.
You should also use a nice large electrolytic decoupling capacitor across the rails next to the ignition coil
You should aslo keep the loop are for the primary current small (supply +ve > load > MOSFET > supply -ve) to prevent ringing due to stray inductance.

HTH
James
Steve Conner
Wed Jun 27 2007, 10:02AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Try a better MOSFET driver than the LM393, too. It has an open-collector output, and you could be getting kickbacks into it.
Gsu
Wed Jun 27 2007, 01:38PM
Thanks, I think these comments will prove great help cheesey
Sulaiman wrote ...

Use the 393 to drive a transistor (you'll have to exchange + and - inputs of the 393)
Good you mentioned + and -, I tried without exchanging them wink
sparky
Thu Jun 28 2007, 07:51AM
sparky Registered Member #530 Joined: Sat Feb 17 2007, 07:56AM
Why don't you try the dimmer switch with a 10uF 330V rated motor run capacitor... $10 for 60kV @ 150W .... maybe more? Why not!!!

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: