Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
04/28 Steve Conner (46)
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

20KW DRSSTC

1 2 3 4  last
Move Thread LAN_403
hvguy
Mon Mar 26 2007, 07:03AM Print
hvguy Registered Member #289 Joined: Mon Mar 06 2006, 10:45AM
Hi All,

This is the first stage of testing on a project I started almost a year ago. My original goal was to get this system up and running in about two months but that whole “life” thing got in the way and I ended up moving to NC. This meant dismantling the project, transporting the 16” x 84” secondary, and storing the equipment until the weather was good enough to resume work. Unfortunately I moved from my shop in Houston, which had a 20’ ceiling, to a garage in NC that has an 8’ ceiling. This made working on the 7’ tall secondary somewhat interesting. Ok that’s the back ground, on with the specs:

Sec – 16” x 84” wound 82” with 20ga 600V PVC wire (Yes, it’s orange, you've got to use what you’ve got)

Toroid – 16” x 64” made of several 4” corrugated drain pipe sections covered with AL tape. This toroid is not nearly as nice after the move…

Pri – 3 turns of 5/8” copper tubing on 1” Phenolic supports

Cap - .66uF 8KV CDE MMC

IGBTs – two Powerex CM1000U-34NF in a full bridge

Envelope – 250uS 120Hz

Ipk - About 2KA. I have not taken an offical measurement yet.

The logic is nothing special, just your typical 15V parts, which I chose for better noise immunity due to the higher rail voltage. Yes, they are not quite as fast as the 5V parts but the delay in negligible in this case due to the relatively slow IGBTs. The oscillator shown in the schematic is my on board test oscillator and was used for this run. I have another, more advanced, fiber optic controller in the works for future use. Fres is about 69KHz.

As for the gate driver… As far as I know everyone using bricks is driving them with some derivation of Steves discrete driver. This is an excellent driver but I just can’t get past having all that silicon to fail/trouble shoot/replace if something goes wrong. I decided to go with an off-line gate driver and larger GDT. This is actually quit simple and has proven reliable thus far. It should be noted that the secondary needs to be either shielded or well separated from the primary of the main GDT or spikes of large enough magnitude to damage the driver IGBTs can be coupled through capacitively. Here’s the schematic; those of you that know me may have seen this at the cheese head thon:

Link2

After waiting for so long to fire this coil up I was going to take advantage of any opportunity to run I could get. In this case the conditions were almost perfect, had it not been for the nearly constant arc eating 11mph winds. So while the 24’ I was hoping for didn’t quite happen...yet… I’m still happy with the 18’ that was had at about 600VDC and 17KW (measured on the AC line side with a RMS true power meter, PF was .7). Here are a few pictures and a video. The strike out to my hitch lift is +16’.

Link2

The coil is not yet fine tuned and the runs were kept short so as not to piss off the neighbors at 9pm on Sunday night. I can’t wait to see what it does without the wind and at full power….

I will post more as time permits.

Aron
thedatastream
Mon Mar 26 2007, 10:20AM
thedatastream Registered Member #505 Joined: Sun Nov 19 2006, 06:42PM
Very, very impressive, that's a nice piece of engineering - congratulations. shades I look forward to seeing the results on a really good run.
I think I shall give up coiling and go and live in a hole somewhere neutral

I would also be interested to see your primary fullbridge and decoupling layout for something of that power.

Give yourself a pat on the back
James

p.s. I wonder what the driver of that car thought?
Steve Conner
Mon Mar 26 2007, 11:09AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Awesome! Madness! suprised suprised suprised
Bennem
Mon Mar 26 2007, 11:55AM
Bennem Registered Member #154 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:28PM
Ermmm.....what can i say , but,....... WOW !!!

ps....lol at driver deciding to turn right. cheesey
Andrew L.
Mon Mar 26 2007, 12:35PM
Andrew L. Registered Member #515 Joined: Sun Feb 11 2007, 02:06PM
Holy mother of all Tesla coils amazed amazed It makes my puny Tesla coils look so small and insagnificant neutral .
Marko
Mon Mar 26 2007, 12:40PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
Holy Thor! The best owned picture ever: Link2 suprised

And.. you are driving CM1000's with a GDT? It must be a monster suprised

..I don't know what anymore to say!

Sulaiman
Mon Mar 26 2007, 01:14PM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
Jaw-dropingly WOW!

Great coil and photo's

Congratulations
vasil
Mon Mar 26 2007, 01:17PM
vasil Registered Member #229 Joined: Tue Feb 21 2006, 07:33PM
Cool! Impressive project!
Steve Ward
Mon Mar 26 2007, 04:45PM
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM
Nice to see that driver work like it *should* this time wink.

That toroid is pretty cool looking, and now it explains the toroid on the large SGTC on the hvguy site. Pretty clever, and surely cheaper than getting the *big* corrugated tube (my 9" OD stuff was like 35 bucks).

How can you expect 20' with the toroid only ~10 feet above the ground?! Do you have a taller stand in the works?

Id really like you to take an "official" measurement of the primary current. Last i remember, i was running about 1500Apk for only the 10-12 foot sparks, so 2kA for your 16 foot spark would seem about right.

Oh, and your workspace is really organized mistrust .
hvguy
Mon Mar 26 2007, 05:34PM
hvguy Registered Member #289 Joined: Mon Mar 06 2006, 10:45AM
Thanks for the comments everyone. It's always nice when a project of this scale finally gets off the ground.

Steve, believe it or not all the problems I was having at the thon were because of a half dead UCC part. My gate waveforms were all screwed up which created some odd transits and took out one of the driver IGBTs and fried that sand block. I think the part was dead before it was even installed….

It may seem like expecting +20’ from a coil of this height is unlikely but I base this off of two things. 1) My 10” coil hit 16’ and is about 9’ tall 2) The longest arc last night was not caught on video but was 18’ out to the red cart on the left, so why not another two feet or so. Also, I can raise my toroid up another 12” using the all thread it is mounted on.

If the weather holds up I will run again tonight and take a primary current measurement.

Thanks... It’s not always that clean though, this project took so much space I had to keep it as clean as possible for everything to fit.
1 2 3 4  last

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: