Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Nicko (56)

Next birthdays
04/20 gentoo_daemon (42)
04/21 kilovolt (49)
04/21 wannabegeekTC (49)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

TESLA - HV fence protecting his property? His lab burned down?

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
CM
Fri Feb 23 2007, 04:24PM Print
CM Banned on April 7, 2007
Registered Member #277 Joined: Fri Mar 03 2006, 10:15AM
Does anybody know if Tesla is credited with inventing the high voltage fence concept? Certainly he's the recognized innovator of HV, but I'm wondering if he is known to have protected his Colorado laboratory by HV fencing as depicted in the newly released DVD titled "The PRESTIGE". Tesla should get more credit than he has (in my opinion), but I'm curious if anyone knows of any historical data that supports that he used HV fencing to protect his labs as show in the DVD, or that his Colorado lab was burned down to force him out of town, also depicted in the DVD or if this is simply Hollywood generated drama to make the DVD more entertaining. See clips here Link2 CM
Steve Conner
Fri Feb 23 2007, 05:09PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
There is no mention of either an electric fence or a fire destroying Tesla's lab in the Colorado Springs Notes. He was never run out of town that we know of either. He did manage to burn down another lab in Houston Street in New York, I think.
Hazmatt_(The Underdog)
Fri Feb 23 2007, 07:52PM
Hazmatt_(The Underdog) Registered Member #135 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 12:06AM
Now I wasn't able to read the whole book because I was browsing the library, but I came across a book that I think was "Man out of Time". And the fire I know he started was at the generation plant. He was over-drawing a generator during an experiment and caused one of the generators to 'melt down'.
If you want to get more information I would suggest checking out the book.
ragnar
Sat Feb 24 2007, 01:35AM
ragnar Registered Member #63 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:18AM
Err, was it a matter of 'overdrawing' or instead high frequency currents breaking down the insulation within the generator..?

I've never, until now in this thread, heard of Tesla and electric fences in the same context.... though it really wouldn't surprise me! cheesey

Unlike Einstein, methinks Tesla was no pacifist (at least, not towards the end of his life?)
Steve Conner
Sat Feb 24 2007, 11:54AM
Tesla wrote ...
it is certain that, nowadays, negative forces have become of greater importance. Among these there is one of far greater moment than any other. It is called organized warfare. When we consider the millions of individuals, often the ablest in mind and body, the flower of humanity, who are compelled to a life of inactivity and unproductiveness, the immense sums of money daily required for the maintenance of armies and war apparatus, representing ever so much of human energy, all the effort uselessly spent in the production of arms and implements of destruction, the loss of life and the fostering of a barbarous spirit, we are appalled at the inestimable loss to mankind which the existence of these deplorable conditions must involve. What can we do to combat best this great evil?

from "The Problem Of Increasing Human Energy" Link2 Besides, Tesla's weapons were so impractical that they would put an end to war pretty quickly, once you tried using them and got beaten. Even so, though, there's nothing to stop you being both a pacifist and a designer of apocalyptic super-weapons. Read about Einstein's involvement with the atom bomb, or Alfred Nobel's stable high explosives.

BTW, to the best of our knowledge, that generator was destroyed by high frequency kickbacks.
bill beaty
Thu Mar 22 2007, 05:08AM
bill beaty Banned on April 8th, 2007.
Registered Member #597 Joined: Thu Mar 22 2007, 03:33AM
> And the fire I know he started was at the generation plant. He was over-drawing a generator during an experiment and caused one of the generators to 'melt down'.

Generators on fire? I had an odd thought. See below. Pure speculation of course. Very cool if it's true...

In Colorado, Tesla had been using big x-ray tubes to convert his TC's discharges into a long narrow "rays" of lightning. The x-rays ionize the air, straightening out the discharge and probably making it silent, dim, and much longer. If aimed at a distant tesla coil of the same frequency, it acts like a power line. Nobody knows what distance it might work across. Yards? Miles? With electron-runaway effect kicking in at above 1MV, it might have been miles. Which was probably Tesla's reason for moving out into isolated farmlands.

It occurred to me to wonder, what would happen if he aimed his "power line" experimental generator upwards? The conductive path might intercept energy from the natural sky voltage. Well, since the x-ray tube is automatically a rectifier, and it only puts out x-rays on each half cycle, it would turn the conductive beam on and off at the frequency of the tesla coil. Which would both act like a huge vertical antenna, but also chop any received DC. It would convert the naturally occuring "vertical sky current" into AC pulses like a Thyratron oscillator (a gigantic NE-2 oscillator. Sort of.) Which would then *drive* the tesla coil secondary, feeding in a low current but at very high voltage. And the secondary would keep that x-ray tube running. The tesla coil becomes and energy source by chopping the sky-voltage at high frequency and then applying it to a resonant tank circuit. And if the received energy was great enough, the tesla coil would start running by itself, even if the primary circuit was shut down. The tesla coil voltage might rise to a different value, since it's not being run by a power plant anymore. The main power switch has no effect. To stop it, the secondary coil's ground would have to be disconnected. It might even pump far more RF back into the power lines than it otherwise would, arcing across the big power switches, burning out any filters, and obviously might run for many minutes before finally being stopped (perhaps with a hatchet.)

I knew about Tesla's xray powerline experiment. Burning generators at the power company? The above idea assembled itself in my head, all at once. Holy crap. But if Tesla had this happen, had discovered that large Tesla coils could be an energy source, he'd have written it down, right? Carefully explained it? Or just kept it safe in his head for the rest of his life? What would YOU have done?

Tesla laboratory fires, indeed!

TESLA W/POSSIBLE TC-MOUNTED XRAY TUBE IN THE BACKGROUND

ragnar
Thu Mar 22 2007, 07:55AM
ragnar Registered Member #63 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:18AM
Where did the electricity go? CIA has SILENCED TESLA, maybe POSSIBLE CONNECTION to AREA 51... heiroglyphics, egyptian contribution...? Xray powerlines... earth's crust!

Energy from... natural sky voltage **gasp**

mistrust Get outta here! If I were a moderator, I'd probably be busy kicking* your arse. Unless you fully explain the following statements, I'm going to go ahead and tar and feather it anyway.

#1 ...Tesla had been using big x-ray tubes...
#2 ...The x-rays ionize the air, straightening out the discharge and probably making it silent, dim, and much longer...
#3 ...If aimed at a distant tesla coil of the same frequency, it acts like a power line...
#4 ...Nobody knows what distance it might work across...
#5 ...With electron-runaway effect kicking in...
#6 ...The conductive path might intercept energy from the natural sky voltage...
#7 ...it would turn the conductive beam on and off at the frequency of the tesla coil... (referring specifically to 'the conductive beam', here.
#8 ...act like a huge vertical antenna, but also chop any received DC...
#9 ...would then *drive* the tesla coil secondary...
#10 ...And the secondary would keep that x-ray tube running...
#11 ...The tesla coil becomes and energy source...
#12 ...by chopping the sky-voltage at high frequency and then applying it to a resonant tank circuit...
#13 ...the tesla coil would start running by itself...
#14 ...The tesla coil voltage might rise to a different value, since it's not being run by a power plant anymore...
#15 ...To stop it, the secondary coil's ground would have to be disconnected...
#16 ...I knew about Tesla's xray powerline experiment...
#17 ...Burning generators at the power company... (referring specifically to what ACTUALLY caused the generators to fail, not being overcurrent)

That will do.

*banning
Hazmatt_(The Underdog)
Thu Mar 22 2007, 09:23AM
Hazmatt_(The Underdog) Registered Member #135 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 12:06AM
This is going to open up a can of worms here, but I really don't think they could have managed to make suitable x-ray tubes in the 1890's. My reason being that the best pumps they had at this time were Topler pumps, a mercury vacuum pump which used displacement to achieve the vacuum. Edison had similar problems achieving a high vacuum for his experiments with light bulbs. Then Gettering is the second-fold problem. A vacuum device is a very complicated device requiring carefully controlled contamination in the envelope, and I just don't really see that happening in the 1890's.
I have a book on the subject by Fred Rosebury, and you can check that out if you can find it (its been out of print for some time now).
Crooke's tubes, yea okay fine, those are low power devices, but high power, I dunno, I think they would probably overheat very quickly if not explode.

I haven't read anything about low pressure mercury vapor rectifiers in Tesla's notes either, although he was playing with a lot of evacuated high frequency discharge lamps, so I'm not really how far this goes.

Vapor rectifier...possibly
High power x-ray tubes, I think that's probably a bit on the far-fetched side.
Tom540
Thu Mar 22 2007, 04:16PM
Tom540 Banned on 3/17/2009.
Registered Member #487 Joined: Sun Jul 09 2006, 01:22AM
BlackPlasma wrote ...

Where did the electricity go? CIA has SILENCED TESLA, maybe POSSIBLE CONNECTION to AREA 51... heiroglyphics, egyptian contribution...? Xray powerlines... earth's crust!

Energy from... natural sky voltage **gasp**

mistrust Get outta here! If I were a moderator, I'd probably be busy kicking* your arse. Unless you fully explain the following statements, I'm going to go ahead and tar and feather it anyway.

#1 ...Tesla had been using big x-ray tubes...
#2 ...The x-rays ionize the air, straightening out the discharge and probably making it silent, dim, and much longer...
#3 ...If aimed at a distant tesla coil of the same frequency, it acts like a power line...
#4 ...Nobody knows what distance it might work across...
#5 ...With electron-runaway effect kicking in...
#6 ...The conductive path might intercept energy from the natural sky voltage...
#7 ...it would turn the conductive beam on and off at the frequency of the tesla coil... (referring specifically to 'the conductive beam', here.
#8 ...act like a huge vertical antenna, but also chop any received DC...
#9 ...would then *drive* the tesla coil secondary...
#10 ...And the secondary would keep that x-ray tube running...
#11 ...The tesla coil becomes and energy source...
#12 ...by chopping the sky-voltage at high frequency and then applying it to a resonant tank circuit...
#13 ...the tesla coil would start running by itself...
#14 ...The tesla coil voltage might rise to a different value, since it's not being run by a power plant anymore...
#15 ...To stop it, the secondary coil's ground would have to be disconnected...
#16 ...I knew about Tesla's xray powerline experiment...
#17 ...Burning generators at the power company... (referring specifically to what ACTUALLY caused the generators to fail, not being overcurrent)

That will do.

*banning
Plasma,
Christ relax lol. He's new to the forum, go easy on him. That paragraph lost me about 1/3 the way down though and does sound a a tad looney.
Steve Conner
Thu Mar 22 2007, 05:29PM
Yeah, blackplasma, this isn't just any old tin foil hat freak, it's Bill Beatty! He practically invented the tin foil hat. Be nice to him.

Bill: As a moderator I have to warn you that 4hv.org is a nest of hardline skeptics. We see ourselves as crusaders against free energy and conspiracy theories. And as far as we know, the X-ray and ultraviolet stuff is all complete BS. I've personally read the Colorado Springs Notes several times, and there is no mention of any experiments with X-ray or UV directed discharges. To get an idea of how mean and joyless we are, you might like to read our wiki on pseudoscience Link2 and free energy Link2

BTW, I don't buy the one about the "Other Secret Colorado Springs Notes" wink
1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: