All today's birthdays', congrats!
Linas (34)
Toasty (29)

Next birthdays
05/16 kg7bz (68)
05/16 steve516 (31)
05/17 Finn Hammer (72)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Solid Fuel Annular Aerospike

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
Chris
Sat Feb 10 2007, 07:27AM Print
Chris Registered Member #8 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 04:34AM
I've made this little aerospike engine for fun; I found it much easier to make than a high quality traditional nozzle. The spike is made of graphite, which I shaped by hand on my drill press with files and sandpaper. I shaped the copper outer nozzle by hitting it with a hammer while heating and turning. It's an inward/outward core burning design where one layer of fuel burns outward toward the casing, and the other inward toward the core from a ring-shaped chamber. That way the burn area should remain constant for the entire burn. The spike simply unscrews to reload the engine. Air can pass through the core and out the end of the spike, providing both virtual spike length and cooling the core stem. Propellant is magnesium and potassium nitrate composite with epoxy. This engine is probably a bit heavy for a high altitude flight, so it is mainly just a fixed testbed engine to experiment with the concept of amateur aerospike nozzles.

Tests coming very soon!

1171087360 8 FT0 Hpim1251

1171087839 8 FT0 Hpim1253
ragnar
Sat Feb 10 2007, 07:42AM
ragnar Registered Member #63 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:18AM
That's really neat, Chris. May I ask from where you sourced your graphite?
Chris
Sat Feb 10 2007, 07:47AM
I got the graphite on ebay. It was a large plate, but I have also gotten cylinders and things, and there is often a variety of shapes and stuff.
Sat Feb 10 2007, 08:34AM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
Aerocon carries a lot of homebrew rocket parts, although it takes all of the fun out of it if you just buy the pieces tongue

Also, firefox is a great place to get all of those quasi-illegal chemicals. Their igniter kits (unmixed pyrogen = 100% legal in the states) totall rock BTW.

In any case, sweet motor! I would sorta like to get into diy motor making, but I just decided to do get a hybrid motor from west coast hybrids and just pretend that I buit it (heck, it comes as an aluminum tube with treads on one end, 2 spun aluminum bulkheads, and some o-rings) since I prefer to get the rocket off the ground so I can get some of that sweet GPS data
AndrewM
Sat Feb 10 2007, 10:55PM
AndrewM Registered Member #49 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:05AM
I'm not sure you're going to get much love out of this engine. The aerospike concept helps to minimize the effects of the transistion from over to under expansion, which is only a problem when you go from sea level to very very high. This little guy probably isn't going to benefit, but it looks cool.
Alex
Sat Feb 10 2007, 11:35PM
Alex Geometrically Frustrated
Registered Member #6 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 04:18AM
Yeah, it is quite heavy and bulky. As Chris said, it's mainly a test of the concept.

Hopefully if this one works out, he'll try making a lighter one that will fly. Maybe he'll tell us if he has any plans for that...
Chris
Mon Feb 12 2007, 05:41AM
Alex got it right, this engine is simply a tool for researching amateur aerospike design. The aerospike nozzle is by nature heavier than a traditional nozzle, and less efficient at a fixed altitude, but larger amateur rockets do indeed go high enough to benefit from the design. All my rocketry work so far has centered around static testbench engines for measuring thrust and impulse, and this is no different. Perhaps later I can move on to lighter weight flight-capable models.

This engine is now packed with 230g of propellant, comprised of 10.8% magnesium, 10% epoxy, and 79.2% potassium nitrate. I tested 40g pellets of 3 different compositions of those ingredients (all stochiometric with both the magnesium and epoxy but with different amounts of either) earlier today and found that one to have the most appropriate burn rate. The propellant is relatively hard to ignite. It has a fairly course grain. The two-way core burning design was very difficult to pack, hopefully I got it tight enough down in there.

Here's a shot of the packed burn chamber.
1171258772 8 FT20472 Hpim1269
AndrewM
Mon Feb 12 2007, 07:13AM
AndrewM Registered Member #49 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:05AM
Chris wrote ...

larger amateur rockets do indeed go high enough to benefit from the design.

how high would you say that is?
Chris
Mon Feb 12 2007, 07:26AM
Probably anything above 10,000ft, which is barely achievable by smaller rockets. Larger amateur rockets can go a few times higher than that, with the biggest ever private rocket (though very well funded) going something like 380,000ft.
Steve Conner
Mon Feb 12 2007, 10:31AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Even if it's not as efficient as a normal rocket nozzle, it's still a pretty neat project IMO, in a "Who turned my rocket inside out" kind of way. I'm looking forward to seeing what it does smile
1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: