All today's birthdays', congrats!
Shaun (34)
Spedy (30)

Next birthdays
05/02 Adam Munich (30)
05/02 Alfredo Texacca (60)
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Gerber and drill files.

Move Thread LAN_403
Patrick
Sat Nov 25 2017, 03:33AM
Patrick Registered Member #2431 Joined: Tue Oct 13 2009, 09:47PM
What are the programs that produce these gerber files that the PCB houses need. its time for me to move away from the etching at home and have real board features now.

I dont want to be file locked into a single makers product either.

I need solder mask and silkscreen.
Carbon_Rod
Sat Nov 25 2017, 01:05PM
Carbon_Rod Registered Member #65 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:43AM
KiCAD
+ free
+ Every OS supported
- Everything is a keyboard shortcut, and you-tube at least has tutorials
+ lots of libraries, and automated utility scripts
- installing off-line use libraries is not intuitive
+ ability to embed library version snapshot into a project
+ unlimited everything (the best long term option in my opinion)
- DRU must be manually setup:
Link2
+ CAM gerber + drill files are easy (note each layer file extension matches manufacturer guidelines)
Link2
+lots of automated cost optimizing part sourcing scripts

EagleCAD < 7.2.x (6.x is best for machine scripts)
+ lots of libraries
- also lots of libraries with bad design errors (Element14 is poison)
+ draft small custom parts with the freemium license (see youtube for tutorial)
- must always keep sch and pcb open at all times to prevent F/B annotation corruption
+ Export scripts for many types of formats and machinery (<6.4)
+ Design check files ready made by manufacturer:
Link2
+ CAM scripts for gerber + drill files ready made (check each layer file extension matches manufacturer guidelines)
Link2
+ read the house's guide for best results:
Link2
- Auotodesk ruined a good program, as the software is now subscription only

Altium/Protel99SE
+ popular in commercial companies
- for the price it just isn't worth it at all
+ best physics simulation package for under $5k
- interface invented by managers

NI Ultiboard
+ best autorouter for complex stuff
- everything is a costly add-on just like Matlab
- doesn't necessarily make the design process easier

Gerbv
+free
+unmatched WYSIWYG for your rendered board
+ A simple tool to import and inspect raw gerber and drill files.
Warning: Almost every CAD program will garble the CAM job once in awhile, and the board house will not inform you that some part library was nonsense. This program has been around a long time, and it should be used to verify the layer outputs no matter which program is used.

OSHpark is OK for surface mount stuff (routed slots will not be on spec), and often takes 3-4 weeks.
This board house takes about 10 days, but keep in mind DHL shipping costs + fees add about $50 to the cost.
Link2

We work directly with several manufacturers, as we don't like paying the high middleman-premiums on large orders.
Blackcurrant
Sat Nov 25 2017, 05:09PM
Blackcurrant Registered Member #2989 Joined: Sun Jul 11 2010, 12:01AM
Most design programs will have a manufacturing output section that will output the files for you.
I would look for tutorials with the program you use. They will do a step by step run through with a simple PCB. After you have made the required files you can do a check with a Gerber viewer program, you could also print out a board layer at the correct size good for checking pad sizes.

The manufactures will require the output files to be in a certain format, they will also have limits to what they can do, hole sizes track widths etc.

As an example
I currently use Cadstar express to design a board (limited to 50 comps but free)
then GC-Prevue to view the gerber files
and get PCBway to make them. (have a very good deal on <100mm 2sided)

Have a look at PCBway and read the FAQ
also google the likes of “PCBway output files” and you will see lots of people telling how to set up CAD programs for Gerber output

Found this site interesting has a 3D Gerber viewer but has a little bug with the drill file input format.
Link2

that KiCAD sounds good as I'm always hitting the limit of the free one I use.
Patrick
Sat Nov 25 2017, 06:43PM
In my research I did notice auto desk ruined EagleCAD.
2Spoons
Sat Nov 25 2017, 10:46PM
2Spoons Registered Member #2939 Joined: Fri Jun 25 2010, 04:25AM
+1 for Kicad. I've used the commercial cad packages like Altium and PADS throughout my career, but those cost $10k for a license, so when I started working as a contractor I chose Kicad. Its free, does everything needed and more, has no stupid size limits, and there's an active user forum if you need help.
I found it a bit quirky to start with, but got used to it quickly. I've done three PCBs with it so far.
the_anomaly
Sun Nov 26 2017, 12:01AM
the_anomaly Registered Member #19 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 03:19PM
In my research I did notice auto desk ruined EagleCAD.

I wouldn't say they ruined it but they ruined one of the reasons people liked it; ownership. No one wants to be locked into a subscription model. It seems other CAD softwares are headed that direction. I currently use Eagle 7.7 and I've been using it since 6.5 for the last 5 years professionally. I have not used any other CAD so I'm a bit biased on what to choose. I've seen Altium in use and for all its purported greatness it still seems to take their users as long as it takes me to design a PCB.

GraphiCode GC Preview GC has what I would call a poor but usable interface. I've used it for years to double check my gerbers and sometimes to print and check component sizes.

I stopped trying to etch a long time ago. Gold Phoenix PCB GP will get you 110 sq.in of PCB in a weeks time for ~120. For me that's very affordable.
hen918
Sun Nov 26 2017, 11:13AM
hen918 Registered Member #11591 Joined: Wed Mar 20 2013, 08:20PM
another +1 for KiCad. I've made dozens of PCBs with it over the years, and it had become more and more user friendly. It sill has it's quirks, but once you've spent a few hours with it, you'll get used to it.
Weston
Sun Nov 26 2017, 06:43PM
Weston Registered Member #1316 Joined: Thu Feb 14 2008, 03:35AM
+2 For kicad.

It seems to have overtaken Eagle for any open source electronics stuff in the last few years and there is a great set of developers contributing to the project (Last I heard CERN was paying for a full time dev). Uptake in university research is pretty good too. About half the people in the research group I am in use kicad.

The learning curve can be a bit steep but there are enough tutorials online and if you get really stuck the IRC channel on freenode is pretty good.

The kicad feature set is arguably better than Eagle, especially in the recent builds, the new python scripting support is great, and it's free as in beer and free as in freedom.

The only other EDA package I would say is worth bothering with is Altium if you can get a free licence. Its heavily used in industry.

For PCB fab I use Smart Prototyping. All of the places offering the same pricing structure of 10 boards for $X and shipping from Hong Kong / Shenzhen are basically the same though and use the same set of board houses.
Patrick
Sun Nov 26 2017, 11:04PM
Im thinking of using Altium's free "circuit maker" program since my work isnt IP or really secret. I think the catch with them is what you make is submitted to the world.

And Seeed Studio "Fusion" as well as the aforementioned "Smart Prototyping"

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: