Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
gentoo_daemon (42)

Next birthdays
04/21 kilovolt (49)
04/21 wannabegeekTC (49)
04/21 Elijah (33)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Induction Cooker Tesla Coil

Move Thread LAN_403
RogerInOhio
Sat Nov 11 2017, 04:46PM
RogerInOhio Registered Member #1034 Joined: Sat Sept 29 2007, 12:50PM
A while back I ordered this cool 2500 watt induction heater kit off of E bay. It comes as a circuit board and a flat spiral coil designed for heating steal pots on a stove. All you have to do is hook up the coil to the circuit board and hook up 220 volts to the circuit board and you are ready to cook. A green LED indicates you have power and the yellow LED flashes every two seconds when the unit checks to see if there is a load on the cooking coil . When it dose sense a load the yellow LED stays on and the power power ramps up.

1510416222 1034 FT0 Dsc07202

1510416871 1034 FT0 P1010095

Of course you can make your own coil as long as its inductance lets the cooker resonate in its range of 20 to 25 KHZ . If the resonant frequency is out of range the cooker just won't load up. So far I have found no way damage it.
So eventually I decided to I would try and make a Tesla coil out of this thing although I did have doubts about weather or not it would work. To make a secondary coil that would resonate around 25 KHZ I wound an 8.5 inch cardboard coil form with 34 gauge magnet wire to a length of 32 inches. It took some trial and error to get to that point because when you use such fine wire as #34 on a large coil form the windings tend to over lap each other some. This makes it hard to calculate the parameters in advance but fortunately it means you need fewer turns to achieve your goal.

1510417952 1034 FT0 P1010093

The primary coil is 12 turns of 10 gauge wire space wound on a 12.5 inch coil form taped at 8 turns. The performance of the system is not that great. With 1500 watts input I get about a 12 inch discharge and the secondary coil gets warm from resistance losses. The cooker oscillator has an erratic wave form that makes for a noisy discharge unlike a vacuum tube Tesla coil. The induction cooker kit I used can be found on E bay or Banggood for around 60 to 70 dollars.

1510418324 1034 FT0 P1010089

1510418541 1034 FT0 P1010091
Sulaiman
Sat Nov 11 2017, 08:06PM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
Excellent !

I bought a generic induction hob with similar internals, like this one Link2
(but I paid GBP29.99 at Lidl some time ago)
and I was considering a similar project, even though the hob is for other purposes.
The main obstacle I guessed to be the relatively low operating frequency
requiring a very large topload and a lossy secondary winding, as you discovered.
Mine uses a rectified but not 'smoothed' supply, so would be very noisy.
Seeing that it can be done is great.
Seeing that it is not spectacular - thank you
- for relieving a little of my perpetual guilt of not doing stuff due to laziness.

Lovely project, thanks for sharing

paulj
Sat Nov 11 2017, 08:44PM
paulj Registered Member #59353 Joined: Sun Apr 17 2016, 02:08PM
Hello,

it's very interesting, I would be curious to see the waveform goes out of the ossilator when the coil Tesla is connected.

PaulJ
RogerInOhio
Sun Nov 12 2017, 02:37PM
Hi Paul, unfortunately I don't have an oscilloscope that will freeze an image of the wave form. The one I have is an older type but maybe I will try hooking it up sometime just to see what I get. Given the erratic nature of this thing I don't think I would be able to see much. I did find a good you tube video that describes the quasi resonant wave form under normal conditions Link2

Hi, Sulaiman thanks for the kind words and I hope you have fun with your cooker.
Mads Barnkob
Sun Nov 12 2017, 07:44PM
Mads Barnkob Registered Member #1403 Joined: Tue Mar 18 2008, 06:05PM
Nice job Roger, you finished what I have not yet had time to, I am glad you could use my video :)

The small couple of kW units are simply too small to power such big resonators and the bigger ones are too expensive, there isnt really something really good and cheap here.

My project with the cheap Ikea hob is here: Link2
paulj
Tue Nov 14 2017, 07:57AM
paulj Registered Member #59353 Joined: Sun Apr 17 2016, 02:08PM
Hello

I guess a microcontroller on the board, this circuit has simple air, it must surely manage all the bridge, the power management system, the metal detection.

it can surely be modified to pull more frequency, but it's a blow to break everything

A linear power supply for the microcontroller on an induction hob: simple, and efficient

I'll be curious to see transistors, if they are IGBTs, or MOSFETs.

You measured the power consumed?

PS:" I love to criticize, but it's a secret :)"

Without describing the Tesla coil, just the Chinese kit.

-no security system present on the map:
-No ground, no RF filter at the input of the controller, and I doubt that the system is designed to cut in case of overcurrent.

Nothing but that, this assembly will not pass the quality control at home.
RogerInOhio
Thu Nov 16 2017, 02:31PM
I can only tell so much by looking at it but the circuit appears to be about the same as the one below. According to the specifications of the kit that I bought it has an adjustable power level of between 2500 watts and 2100 watts. They must be referring to peek power because when I run it it draws 6 to 6.5 amps at 230v which works out to 1500 watts. I haven't made any attempt to adjust the power yet. There is one pot on the board and I am assuming that is the power adjustment.. One of these days I might get up the nerve to turn it all the way up.

I see that at least it has a fuse on the board that might keep it from catching fire if something goes terribly wrong. I don't know where we would be without all this wonderful stuff from China. Can we keep running a trade deficit with them forever? I guess time will tell.
1510842592 1034 FT180812 Sch All Wm

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: