All today's birthdays', congrats!
Desmogod (48)
Alex Smith (31)

Next birthdays
04/25 Desmogod (48)
04/25 Alex Smith (31)
04/26 Bead (41)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Add your strangest TC phenomenon here

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Conundrum
Mon Aug 21 2017, 04:03AM Print
Conundrum Registered Member #96 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:37PM
Hi all.

Has anyone else experienced strange events when testing a new build?

Included: equipment malfunctions, unexplained lights appearing near the coil(s), etc.
Ideally post pictures or schematics of the setup.

Thanks, -A
dexter
Mon Aug 21 2017, 08:43AM
dexter Registered Member #42796 Joined: Mon Jan 13 2014, 06:34PM
Does the test has to be performed in an old castle, in an abandoned mental hospital or in old houses where unsolved murder/s happened?
Finn Hammer
Mon Aug 21 2017, 07:08PM
Finn Hammer Registered Member #205 Joined: Sat Feb 18 2006, 11:59AM
Andre,

During the initial tests of the Musical Tesla Coils, I saw "magic smoke" emanating from the base of the coil, followed by an apparent malfunction.....

wink sorry, just couldn't resist...

Cheers, Finn Hammer
Mads Barnkob
Tue Aug 22 2017, 06:44AM
Mads Barnkob Registered Member #1403 Joined: Tue Mar 18 2008, 06:05PM
Dimming lights and destroyed voltmeter when shorting mains directly into a high impedance inverter with current draw way out of phase.

But no, never anything strange, just stupid :)
Hydron
Tue Aug 22 2017, 11:24AM
Hydron Registered Member #30656 Joined: Tue Jul 30 2013, 02:40AM
I managed "half" blow-up one port of my router.

It was completely unconnected to anything the coil was other than the mains (via plugpack), but one of the ports (the WAN port) stopped working with certain devices (e.g. the modem I was using).
When I remapped the WAN port using custom router firmware to another port of the router, the "broken" port turned out to be happy talking to certain other devices, but not the modem or a couple of other things.

The other thing I managed to blow up was a plant - despite never being hit by a streamer (it was opposite to the breakout point) it was reasonably close to the coil, and clearly some high frequency current was flowing to ground through it. The top was juicy leaves (plant was a succulent) but the long thin woody stem was obviously high resistance - it started charring and then burnt right through from the I2R heating!

If you want you can maybe concoct some router port conspiracy theory, but unfortunately the plant death is pretty explainable!
Hazmatt_(The Underdog)
Thu Aug 24 2017, 12:57AM
Hazmatt_(The Underdog) Registered Member #135 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 12:06AM
While I was testing, I managed to have my keys and a pocket knife in one of my pockets, and I was getting shocked by it, or my keys, or a combination of the two, not sure why.

That's not really all that strange, but it was a surprise!
Nik
Fri Aug 25 2017, 02:16AM
Nik Registered Member #53 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:31AM
About 10 years ago I was running my SGTC in the back yard and it set off the neighbor's backyard/outdoor doorbell. I didn't think much of it until it continued to ring after I turned off the coil and the whole time I was packing up my gear. Didn't hear it again after that day...
orac12
Wed Dec 12 2018, 02:40AM
orac12 Registered Member #9879 Joined: Tue Jan 29 2013, 05:00AM
Computer screens would turn off and go into sleep mode when coil was running, and computer would beep as if a USB device was being plugged and unplugged.

Also someone who was with me while operating it that has a few metal rods in their body due to broken bones etc could feel some sort of tingling or burning sensation inside where the rods are.
nabzim
Wed Dec 12 2018, 06:10AM
nabzim Registered Member #60732 Joined: Sun Aug 28 2016, 06:07PM
When I play with my SSTC I usually feel small shock/burns on my nose from my glasses frames' nose-pads. (because my face is usually like 1-2 feet from the topload).

I also used to get the USB sound, but I stopped running my coil in my bedroom where my pc is. (better safe than sorry)

ALSO..... I used to run a Bitcoin miner (Bitmain S9) in the same room where I run my SSTC now... I turned it off and unplugged it before turning on the coil, but when I turned the miner back on, there was an error in the firmware startup sequence (something about "PIC need restore") and the miner was pretty much a goner, no matter how many firmware re-flashes I tried. So luckily, I live in California where the only Bitmain warranty-center outside of China happened to be located, so it didn't take long for shipping... Needless to say everything checked-out OK on their end (they obviously didn't find any signs of user-damage), so they repaired it under warranty... ;p

Based on the OP of this thread, I was hoping to read something along the lines of: "One night I was running my coil out back, and all of a sudden colorful lights appeared in the sky, and little green men materialized out of thin air, taking me aboard their flying saucer!"
Thankfully, nobody here is THAT crazy..... Hahaha
Sulaiman
Wed Dec 12 2018, 10:32AM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
Some years ago I made a fairly large sgtc that when operating caused humans to walk backwards and scrunch up their faces,
that particular tc also had a profound effect on the weather,
almost every time that I assembled it in the garden then operated it,
it would start to rain.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: