All today's birthdays', congrats!
Desmogod (48)
Alex Smith (31)

Next birthdays
04/26 Bead (41)
04/26 Fumeaux (25)
04/28 Steve Conner (46)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Sale and Trade
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

AN8002 Digital multimeter

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Sulaiman
Sat Aug 19 2017, 07:13AM Print
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
I killed my last remaining 'good' dmm and I bought a cheap 6000 count autoranging true rms AN8002, after reading and watching reviews.
Excellent value;
. very clear display w/backlight, stable readings, all ranges tested so far well within specifications
e.g. Weston Cell, 1.01859 V reads as 1.017 ... one digit / 0.1 % error vs spec. of 0.5%.
the capacitance range is useful and accurate.
All ranges auto-zero. comes with thermocouple probe and a cute bag so you don't scratch your cute meter.
Fuses on volts and amps terminals, tested on 240 Vac no problem.
If you are looking for a cheap but good dmm, I recommend the AN8002
(no, I'm not getting any reward for promoting it :)

Aneng AN8002 = Zotek ZT102 = KASUNTEST ZT102 = other aliases
eBay, Amazon, Banggood etc. all sell it.

There are other models in the range, e.g. the AN8008 10,000 count, 1 uV resolution BUT 10mA and 100mA ranges absent !

and for those who are interested, banggood.com ; AN8002 = £10.33/USD12.99, AN8008 = £14.13/USD17.77
Bjørn
Sat Aug 19 2017, 09:16AM
Bjørn Registered Member #27 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 02:20AM
What kind of fuses does it use? I have a meter that is marked Cat IV that have those tiny glass fuses that will go off like a bomb if subjected to a huge short circuit current.
Dr. Slack
Sat Aug 19 2017, 01:58PM
Dr. Slack Registered Member #72 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:29AM
Before I rush out and buy one, would you do a quick measurement for me please?

I notice it takes 2xAAA batteries. If you have a second working meter (doesn't need to be very 'good') and a variable supply to hand, at what battery voltage does (a) the low battery indicator come on and (b) the reading start going high as the internal reference collapses. I measured this for all my various meters and was quite surprised. There was a large variation in what they thought was a low battery, and more than one went wrong by many counts before the low batt indicator went on.
Sulaiman
Sat Aug 19 2017, 02:45PM
Bjørn,
I have not opened up the meter (yet) but I've watched YouTube dissections;
The fuses are tiny 10x3 mm ceramic.
The printing on the meter is 600V CAT III, 1000V CAT II,
If true then each is one category down from my Fluke 87,
I think that it is ok for domestic and hobby use,
but I would not want to regularly use it on 415V 3-phase supplies for example.
To replace the fuses, or the range knob, of my Fluke 87, costs more than this meter, so don't expect too much.
I once had a cheap dmm explode with the probes in my hands (hobby, not professionally)
so the Fluke101 size and shape initially put me off,
but now I like it enough to recommend it ... it's cute cheesey
_________________________________________________ _________________________
Dr. Slack,
Low battery indication at 2.4 V, shutdown at 2.1 V, it seemed more like an orderly shutdown than erratic chaos.
What is typical ?

I only gave close-enough readings and casual observation but if it is important to you then I can measure parameters more carefully before you consider buying,
but I can't be ar$£d to open it up and close it again so external measurements only please.

I'm using a Fluke87 (with a makeshift knob) for measurements, Weston Cell reads 1.018 V.

Conundrum
Sun Aug 20 2017, 06:15AM
Conundrum Registered Member #96 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:37PM
What did you do to it? My last "fried" meter recovered after all its contacts were cleaned and two bad high precision resistors changed.
Its been recalibrated and seems fine.
Sulaiman
Sun Aug 20 2017, 09:18AM
Conundrum wrote ...

What did you do to it? My last "fried" meter recovered after all its contacts were cleaned and two bad high precision resistors changed.
Its been recalibrated and seems fine.

Recently I lost my personal RS232-interfaced DMM at work, I may find it someday,
I gained a Fluke87 from work due to a broken range knob vs repair cost vs capital writedown,
my backup analogue multimeter (ex-Post Office AVO12, older than half of the members here) started to give erratic readings and I wanted a new reliable dmm, but cheaply.
(I'll fix the Post Office meter and another old analogue multimeter - one day)
The cheap dmm refered to was £2.99 ... on the 2000 V dc range it did not enjoy measuring a mmc of photo-flash caps above 1200 V suprised
(even parts of the probes and leads 'disappeared')
So now I have the AN8002 and a Fluke87 with a makeshift knob, one missing dmm, and two faulty analogue multimeters that may never work again.
I imagine that there are many meters waiting to be revived by 4HV members :)
Dr. Slack
Mon Aug 21 2017, 04:52AM
Sulaiman wrote ...

What is typical ?

That's what surprised me. I have several meters that take PP3 9v batteries, and the question was 'if LO BATT' is not shown, is the reading reliable?

Three things happen as the power supply reduces

(1) Lo batt gets shown.

(2) The displayed reading rises as the internal reference drops as there's insufficient voltage to keep it alive. I measured this by reading a constant input voltage (just a battery) and noting when the reading had risen by 1% as I dropped the meter supply voltage.

(3) Something goes 'wrong', perhaps the display fades, or stops updating, or is erratic, so that's it's obviously failed.

Effects 1 and 3 are visible, effect 2 is silent. The question was, in what order do they happen? One of my meters went inaccurate at 7v and showed lo batt at 6.5v, another showed lo batt at 4v and was still accurate to 3.8v. What further surprised me was the second was a very cheap meter indeed. It didn't occur to me to reduce it further to the shutdown stage. Obviously for a meter you can trust, 1 must happen before 2, and should happen before 3.

2.4v is quite a high end point for AAAs, which suggests short battery life, but as they're not as expensive as PP3s maybe that's a reasonable trade. I need to get around to replacing one of my meters anyway, and this looks as reasonable as any.
Sulaiman
Mon Aug 21 2017, 06:33AM
Considering 0V (open circuit) as a voltage input, the reading did not change until shutdown, which gives me more confidence in this meter,

Dr. Slack
Mon Aug 21 2017, 07:23PM
Unfortunately a gain error doesn't show up reading 0v, that's why I did it measuring a voltage input occupying most of the full scale. In this case, a 1.5v battery on the 2v range. Of course while an AA battery is not a 'reference', it moves around a lot more slowly than a varying power supply to the meter. I used a 1% increase in reading as a limit for 'accuracy' due to reference error.
Sulaiman
Mon Aug 21 2017, 07:28PM
D'oh !

I am relieved to report that using a Weston cell, the meter read 1.017 from 3 Vdc down to shutdown cheesey
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: