Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
gentoo_daemon (42)

Next birthdays
04/20 gentoo_daemon (42)
04/21 kilovolt (49)
04/21 wannabegeekTC (49)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Problem with comparator and switching

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
Plasma
Fri Jul 21 2017, 10:50AM Print
Plasma Registered Member #61406 Joined: Thu Jan 05 2017, 11:31PM
Hi, it I've built this circuit but when the voltage reaches 9 volt on the capacitor, and the comparator must have switched.
The comparator has a hysteria between 5_6volt.
Would the circuit work as is, I'm trying to charge up a capacitor then discharge it.
Thanks
1500634209 61406 FT0 Img 20170721 223626
2Spoons
Fri Jul 21 2017, 09:38PM
2Spoons Registered Member #2939 Joined: Fri Jun 25 2010, 04:25AM
A sharp image would help. Better still go get one of the free SPICE simulators (e.g. LT SPICE, Simetrix, TI Tina) and use that as a drawing tool. You could also test your circuit with it ;) I use Simetrix - extensively.
Plasma
Sat Jul 22 2017, 07:34AM
I've simulated it, and the capacitor shows a couple mV but the mosfet has 12v to the gate.
Ideas, cheers
DerAlbi
Sat Jul 22 2017, 08:30AM
DerAlbi Registered Member #2906 Joined: Sun Jun 06 2010, 02:20AM
please attach the .asc as zip here.
Note that A1, the schmitt trigger inverter, does have default values of 0V Low, 1V High at its output. i doubt it can drive the IRF530 in its default form.
Have you checked that you get the voltages you wanted everywhere? If not do so!
Also for better readability use "110k", instead of "110000" (the capacitor is "30n" for example).
Then please simulate only the shortest time needed. The time step spice uses is somewhat related to the overall time - the longer you simulate the coarser the simulation by default..
Plasma
Sat Jul 22 2017, 09:27AM
I've attached the file
]picy.zip[/file]
DerAlbi
Sat Jul 22 2017, 09:49AM
you made R2 "1m" which is 1 MilliOhm. If you want to make some thing MegaOhm, you need to write "1Meg" in spice.
Again A1 issnt configured in any useful way. But besides that i cant really give you any advice. You still simulate for thousands of seconds...

Anyway, i looked at it, found some problems, but the overall circuit is a problem. the whole concept seems bad... i am honestly not sure what some stuff was supposed to mean...
I suggest you build a block diagram, figure out each block and see if the signal do what they are supposed to do..
]picc.zip[/file]
hen918
Sat Jul 22 2017, 02:45PM
hen918 Registered Member #11591 Joined: Wed Mar 20 2013, 08:20PM
Yeah, I agree with DerAlbi, and, as I'm sure he has noticed, one of your MOSFETs is attatched to a positive source, yet it is an N-channel 'FET. Change it to a P-channel one, and then feed it with the same inverted signal as the other 'FET. Then when the signal from the comparitor is low, you will get it inverted to turn M2 on and M1 off.

Please also redraw the bit with the MOSFETs so they are the right way up: that circuit is almost invariably drawn vertically, with M2 on the bottom and M1 on the top.
Plasma
Sun Jul 23 2017, 04:10AM
Good advice. I've made the circuit more simple and also built it like the simple. Price in the built one the multimeter is showing 5.40volt across the capacitor, and I think it is working.
I would like to have a higher voltage source charging the capacitor but it will fry the comparator, and how would people go about taking a ratio of the capacitor voltage, the voltage divider wasn't working.
DerAlbi
Sun Jul 23 2017, 09:28AM
So you are discharging the 30uF through 200k and recharging it with a massive current pulse through he IRF530.with your 10u timestep, you might not see it, but this is kind of brutal. Please give M1 a 10R resistor on its source... its not mandatory, but good practice.
Regarding the "higher voltage": wrong architecture. It would be doable by a PFET.. of course you need a small NFET and a resistive divider to drive its gate, but it would work.
Plasma
Thu Jul 27 2017, 12:25PM
I've got this so far, I'm trying to get R5 below 10ohm,but it doesn't switch, I'm thinking there are multiple voltage dividers that stop it working. The gate to source, is close to 12volt.
How would I modified the circuit to make R5 about 10ohm.
1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: